Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you think is the most important feature that should be implemented in 0.2.0?

Default What's the most important feature that should be implemented in the next version?

Which basic features should be implemented in order to make JADE more playable? What do you think is most important? Something other than bugs or more items/monsters.

I think hunger should be implemented next. It's a traditional and essential part of roguelike gameplay - finding yourself in a situation where you don't have any food left, desperately killing monsters in hopes of a corpse, is a classic RL situation. The need to maintain food in your inventory would already make JADE more interesting. Also, it would prevent you from just walking around Ancardia and completely exploring it in 14 years.
    Last edited by Laukku; 11-23-2011 at 02:45 PM. Reason: changed title
    You hit Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, and severely wound him.
    The greater balor summons some help!
    The ratling duelist disarms you. You drop your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12]. It flies to the west.
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, picks up the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, wields the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].

With the way the game is now I'd say hunger is a bad idea. Eventually, yes, but not when there are such huge environments to explore.

I'd like the dungeons to be smaller, and have thematical dungeons. (orc dungeon, goblin camp, forest of wild animals, etc) Some sort of win condition would be nice too.

Oh, and gold. There's not much reason to actually adventure right now. Add some gold and there is a purpose to the dungeon diving.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    With the way the game is now I'd say hunger is a bad idea. Eventually, yes, but not when there are such huge environments to explore.
    Well, most of "the Ancardia" is currently the same, so for me there is not much reason to explore yet. Some kind of a limit would be nice, walking around the world with such ease just kills my willing suspension of disbelief. Ancardia would feel much larger IMO if you can't simply explore all of it at once.

And gold, definitely. Currently you can't by anything from shops. :P A "go kill monsters -> gather their gold -> buy stronger weapons and armour -> fight tougher monsters" cycle would be a great gameplay addition.
    The ratling duelist disarms you. You drop your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12]. It flies to the west.
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, picks up the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, wields the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].

nathrakh Guest

I want Staff of Khelavaster!

Seriously tho, I want few of the critical bugs prepaired (like the weight bug). Metal types in items, items for all the item slots, food, more potions aswell as the ability to drink them and money.

And maybe some guaranteed places/objects.

If I understood Thomas correctly, he wants 0.2.0 to feel more like a game, and that means more stuff to do and collect. Monsters, items by the bucketloads! And some NPC interactions. Also, are traps already in? I want my head smashed in by stone blocks again!

Hunger should be implemented if it's possible within the game to keep the PC fed, but I don't think it's the greatest priority at this point.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

First and foremost, the Look command (I've already posted a "feature request" for it, in fact).

Beyond that, I'd like to see some methods of healing introduced into the game soon (if there are potions out there, I haven't seen them, yet - is there a healing potion, yet?). Oh, and perhaps a few ego items, even if they're really basic "change the weapon stats" and "alter character stats" types (Long Sword of the Eagle {Pe+1}, for instance).

I'd also like there to be one kind of "target" item, somewhere, added specifically as a test, made into a temporary "win condition". It could be hidden within any one of the random dungeons, and guarded by one unique NPC.

I'm in for some (random) quests! And skills that actually have some influence (if I'm right they don't have any influence right now)

I'd like the dungeons to be smaller, and have thematical dungeons. (orc dungeon, goblin camp, forest of wild animals, etc)

i agree

1. Bugfix for the weight bug. Yes, I know you said "other than bugs", but this one is too important to not mention it IMO.
    2. An NPC giving quests (at the moment, just random monster quests or "get to level X of the dungeon" quests would be fine) and a provisional victory condition (again, nothing very elaborate, maybe just getting a certain item). I'd like to be the first one to post a YAVP in JADE... oh wait... it wouldn't be YAVP, it would be TFVP or something like that, right?
    3. Hunger. I agree with Laukku on that one. Right now the game is not very challenging (I reached level 9 with around 100 HP and I was all but invincible). This would be one simple way of adding challenge (because I suppose it's easier to implement than, say, traps, monsters with ranged attacks, karmic beings, corruption, etc. although I may be wrong, and any of those other things would also do).
    4. Wilderness encounters! This would do something re: difficulty of exploration.
    5. Gold. It's a pity to have shops and not be able to use them.

1+2+3 would already make the game quite addictive.
    Last edited by Al-Khwarizmi; 07-04-2011 at 09:57 AM.

About victory conditions: didn't TB say at one point that JADE won't have "winning" in the traditional sense? As in, you can complete the quest to save the world, but the game won't end at that point, and you can continue being a farmer or shop owner or whatever.

A quest with a simple goal (such as obtaining a MacGuffin) would give some purpose to playing, victory condition or not.

I'd also like a way to somehow uncurse worn items. I don't think there is one yet.
    Last edited by Laukku; 07-04-2011 at 10:14 AM.