Thread: Adom on Android?

Hybrid View

Default Adom on Android?

Hey all. I was just wondering if any of you have found a good way to play Adom on an android device. I have gotten it working (albeit it's rather slow) on the andosbox dos emulator for android, but it's not ideal as the games is very slow when there are any npcs (monsters) around and of course the keyboard (A physical full-sized usb keyboard) is less than agreeable with the many commands you have to put in for ADOM and the bad hardware communication of dosbox. But it does work, and after you get used to it it is almost acceptable. But the slow speed does bother me.

So my question is if anyone has found a better way to play adom on the android, or is a direct port is possible. If neither of these is true, has anyone found any rouguelike for the android similar to adom (please don't say nethack)?

Any other good in-depth android games of a different style anyone wants to suggest is welcome. I love strategy, rpg, etc. so just post below.

My device is a Coby Kyros 7015 running android 2.1. I hacked it and have root access. It's processor is 800MHZ, 256mb of RAM, and a ton of space on my sd card.

Anything helps. Thanks.

I don't know of any easy ways. Can you run ssh on Android?

In terms of alternative roguelikes, Hydra Slayer is the most interesting I've encountered.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

You can use ssh on android apparently... but I have never used ssh before and wouldn't know where to start. I think I'll try tinkering around with the dosbox settings a little more. And yeah, I've tried hydra hunter. Didn't do it for me. There is just nothing that can replace the feel of ADOM.

i recommend ssh
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Yeah, ssh has to be the way to go if you can get it set up. You'll get Sage functionality too that way - lots of nice extras, including things like "repeat last command" which would be a big help with the restricted interface. Relies on a net connection, but it should run well on 3G and will use barely any data.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

I have chosen the map colors in Hydra Slayer's ASCII mode to be the same as in ADOM, but other than that, yes, it is different

SSH on Android works very well (use the application ConnectBot), so I suppose it should not be a problem to connect to the ADOM server (it seems that the info page on the server does not work, but this one does). But I have not tried it to play e.g. ADOM with it myself, as most roguelikes require too many keys to be played comfortably without a hardware keyboard (Hydra Slayer is better there, since you need only a few keys).