Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: JADE discovery and discussion thread

Default JADE discovery and discussion thread

I figured there's value in having a thread for any discoveries people might make, of things in JADE that are a little more "hidden", as well as anything that you might suspect is occurring and want to get other opinions on.

The reason I'm making this thread now is a suspicion I'm starting to have regarding turn durations. In ADoM, attacking and moving, sans any special items or abilities, tended to be similar in time required per action. In JADE, it seems as though, when you attack something, all the monsters moving around take longer to move than they do when you move around.

Is it possible that fighting is now significantly (say, 2x) faster than moving in JADE?

You hit Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, and severely wound him.
    The greater balor summons some help!
    The ratling duelist disarms you. You drop your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12]. It flies to the west.
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, picks up the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, wields the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].

Quote Originally Posted by Laukku View Post
    Not quite duplicate, actually. I'm not talking about undocumented features, nor about "hidden goodies", but about nuances (like the example in the first post) and things that you'll find as you go further in the game, but which aren't obvious (like items that only show up at higher danger levels, meaning deeper in dungeons, or something like that).

Also, that thread seems more focused on fun glitches and ways to take advantage of the game's design. You know, ways to work the system, hence "undocumented features" and "hidden goodies". This thread is for discoveries (like, a new artifact turning up) and game feature discussion (how does speed vary with burden levels? What do the percentage and multiplier numbers on items mean? What game mechanics have changed from ADoM?).

Speaking of danger levels...
    Monsters get confused when following you up/down stairs and can be killed indefinitely many times (assuming you use the stairs once in a while). This both levels you up very quickly and generates massive piles of loot.

I'm guessing that the "danger level" (or whatever its counterpart is in JADE) of the dungeon is based mainly on the PC's level; once I hit level 30 and started a fresh dungeon it contained almost exclusively hydras (8+ headed hydras most likely being the toughest monsters as of 0.1.2). Further, it was possible to generate eternium weapons on the first level of the dungeon.

The cap on weapon skill level from ADOM has also been removed or raised, as I got up to level 23 two-handed axes (gave something like +65 to hit, +49 to damage, +7% crit, x5 multiplier, +7 DV, but didn't seem to alter the energy cost of combat).

Has anyone discovered already what the 'you sense a spark of divinity' or sortalike message does? I never seem to be able to find anything interesting on a level where the message is generated...

No idea. At the moment the only special level feature I have found is tension rooms.

Has anyone managed to complete the quest? I haven't gotten past level 6 of the CoC (yeah, I know... I have always sucked with melee chars).

I got invited to the pyramid to kill (oops, "meet") Rehetep... unfortunately the pyramid won't let me in I guess I levelled up too many times after (now level 15).
    Unless it's somewhere else in JADE?
    Has anyone else seen this?

Yes, I got invited as well but I didn't level up at all after and the pyramid wouldn't open for me either. It's just not implemented yet I guess.

I also found my first tension room, don't know if anyone else found one already
    Last edited by Moeba; 08-17-2011 at 02:10 PM.

hah and I just got to lvl 19 and got the message: 'You hear an ancient voice in your mind dripping with hate: "Your ancestor managed to defeat me and now you denied me my vengeance!!!'. Actually the voice said more but the rest I won't spoil.

Damn, now I have to get to lvl. 19. Did you do it without exploiting any bugs? All my chars tend to get one-hit critted by ogres.