Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jaakkos' starsign selector and char roller

Default Jaakkos' starsign selector and char roller

I really need some help with that.
    I'm pretty much tired of constant entering-exiting the game if there's wrong starsign, but thanks to Jaakkos that's avoidable.

Yet, not for me.
    I'm a windows user and I need to, somehow, compile that modified adom sage with the selector and roller so it'd work under win7. I just don't see any way to do that.

So, the question is: how do I compile the modified adom sage src into .exe?

I'm using win7 64-bit, if that matters.
    Last edited by Wheatley; 07-26-2011 at 10:58 AM.

I'm not sure myself, but have you tried just playing on the server using Putty? It comes with lots of nice perks (like auto-backup in case of crashes).
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

But what if I won't have an internet connection for some time? Or if I have to go on a trip with my laptop and there won't be an internet connection for a few weeks either?
    Nope, not a chance. The question was about compiling.

EDIT: Here's the thing.
    I don't really know much about linux, but is it possible to build an .exe in linux? I doubt it, though, but what if? I just can't be sure.
    Please, tell me if it's possible to build an .exe from adom sage source in linux, I'd then install something simple as ubuntu using a virtual machine and do it in there.
    Last edited by Wheatley; 07-26-2011 at 03:15 PM.

I can't provide any help on compiling, as I know nothing of programming. But:

I have sage + starsign selector working on my win7 system, but I didn't compile anything.
    Just DL'd linux version of adom, win version of sage, and the starsign selector, put
    them all in the same folder and they work. Maybe you have the wrong version of the
    starsign selector? I will say though, that it seems to function a bit wrongly for me. Maybe
    *I* have the wrong version of the selector

What I mean by 'wrongly' is that if I chose, say, candle starsign for one game, then
    start a game without the sign selector, I still get candle, and will continue to until I
    use the selector for a different sign. It seems it leaves some data behind in the adom
    binary or something. Worse, the binary has become corrupted on me twice already,
    so I've had to replace 'ADOM' from a backup.

Anyway, it is relatively stable to do it that way, but there may be an alternative. I
    have heard that cygwin might provide a way of running some linux stuffs on windows.
    Then again, there is also the virtualization route. Virtual box worked fine for me when
    I used that, and I think it is what the ancardius.ath.cx server runs on as well.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

>Just DL'd linux version of adom, win version of sage, and the starsign selector, put
    >them all in the same folder and they work.

Got no idea why would that work. As far as I understand it shouldn't work this way.

Well I could try virtual machine, but it's just pointless for 1 thing.
    I'll also look into cygwin, thanks for that.

EDIT:
    Yet I'd like to read any comments on compiling the thing.

EDITx2:
    cygwin is actually pretty nice. I'm downloading the things it needs and looking for manuals. Dunno exactly but looks like it's actually possible to compile things with it.
    Just in case anyone's been through this and/or knows how to use it would do me a great favor telling what to do (even though no one has to, right?).
    Yet I'll try to do it using manuals.

EDITx3:
    Argh, it's more difficult that I thought. How do you live with all this unix stuff? I'd get used to it in 2-3 years, which is pretty damn much.
    Last edited by Wheatley; 07-26-2011 at 10:01 PM.

> Got no idea why would that work. As far as I understand it shouldn't work this way.

all i can say is that it does, and if you want me to up the binaries somewhere, I will

EDIT: I am 99% sure you were using the wrong version of the selector, as I have a
    file that is specifically called adom-winsage-starsign. I have stuck it here, but I notice
    that the adom binary must be renamed (for some reason) before running:
    http://plog.wikispaces.com/file/view...e_starsign.zip

EDIT2: Just in case that doesn't work for you, i zipped my install, cfg files and everything:
    http://plog.wikispaces.com/file/view...n-selector.zip

> Well I could try virtual machine, but it's just pointless for 1 thing.

it isn't pointless, it is fun and a learning experience. Don't think it will hog resources,
    as you don't have to run it all the time. Just boot ubuntu from within windows, play,
    and shut it off when done. I even had a guide somewhere from long ago...

EDIT3: if you tried cygwin, you should DEFINITELY try virtualizing ubuntu. It is so
    easy it will blow your mind.
    Last edited by gut; 07-27-2011 at 04:01 AM.

Well, thanks for all the help, Gut. Helping a stranger like this, I appreciate that.
    And I always thought that ubuntu is good for learning, too. It's like a smooth tutorial to linux.

P.S. Just woke up, it's cygwin time.

Uhh, sorry for the annoyance (and the double posting thingy), but I shall get back to it as I've been "off the case" for the time being.

I'm trying to compile this using cygwin:
    http://rghost.net/16708361

This is roller and starsign selector, just there's something modified in makefile, you can find this thing somewhere on these forums, just dunno where exactly.

So uh, when I type "make" command it gives me this:
    http://rghost.net/16708691

Well I don't INSIST on helping me, but I'd just like someone to. I really can't stop thinking about compiling this thing, but I simply have no idea what to do here. Too many errors I'm unfamiliar with.

if you ever get this running on windows, be sure to post a play by play
    for the rest of us

Wait, was that sarcasm? I mean, aren't you certain that it's impossible and you're not telling that? Or probably it's just me being paranoid.

If it's the second one, yes, why not? I will upload it, no point in keeping it in a secret.