Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: The Weakest Link '09: League of Shadows

Quote Originally Posted by Maul View Post
    Other than that, we still love you

Until we starve

But yeah, Maul's right, Tactics are a must. And Burning Hands is a much better fallback spell than Frost Bolt.

And you'll pay for losing that prayer if the players between thee and me get eliminated after the Gate is open

I always forget tactics, one of my major failings. And I have trouble remembering different monsters resistances, corpse effects, and so on. But I will learn. Thanks for the pointers.

I nearly tried shooting off random wands at the troll king, I have no idea why it panicked, I just counted my lucky stars and ran away.
    Loitering with intent to loiter.

I'd just say that shooting strong monsters like that troll king first is useless, even on berserk, cause we have neither skills nor equipment to do so. Just frost/fire bolt first, ask questions later ;). Number of castings is not a problem for elementalist.

Quote Originally Posted by Qui View Post
    I'd just say that shooting strong monsters like that troll king first is useless, even on berserk, cause we have neither skills nor equipment to do so. Just frost/fire bolt first, ask questions later . Number of castings is not a problem for elementalist.
    Keep in mind, though, we have to advance at least one Dungeon level per 2000 turns. And experience gains are rapidly beginning to slow down. So those castings probably won't be replenishable.

Well if you prefer to get mauled by something nasty, it's your right of course ;). I don't recommend blasting everything, but it's the only way to get rid of tougher opponents. By trying to shoot a missile first you might just give a monster enough time to reach you before you blast it, as we just seen.

To be fair, I don't think an extra turn of blasting would have helped much there, but I see your point.
    Loitering with intent to loiter.

I think it would. If it panicked, it probably was almost dead. But we'll never know.

(Hint: If a monster is next to you, you can 'L'ook at it to see how badly it's wounded. It can give you an idea whether one more has a chance to kill it or not.)

If you have to use magic you should try and use burning hands whenever possible - elementalists get tons of castings of it, we are much less likely to run out of that then any other spell. It also does a fairly high amount of damage. (sometimes I wish they had a burning hands type spell for the other elements..). Save the bolts for really nasty baddies.

We can also replenish our castings with books, though of course elementalist is nowhere near as good as a wizard or necromancer in that respect and we are much less likely to find them. If you do find a book, try to keep it around for book casting.

Speaking of which, maybe picking up the book casting talents would be a good idea? We can't really scum for more books and there are no shops, so if we get any book casting is a must and the talents help alot with that. Then again the books will likely be toasted by chaos play before we get that far (if we get that far) so maybe not.

Don't get your hopes up for more talents. Certainly not enough to pick up the whole book-casting chain.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Yes I know, I still tend to think of it in the long term even though we probably won't last that long. Though with the +40% exp bug from good learner..... nah we still probably won't level up that much. Oh well.