Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: The Weakest Link '09: League of Shadows

Good learner could actually be useful to get. The others... well, there's just nothing that great there.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Grey, I'm sorry, but I have to leave for some days, so, please, take me out of this round. I think, I'll arrive for the next, but it's quite uncertain...

Oh, wait, don't do it =)

Something has changed and I'll be still in touch today. Sorry for panic =)

Quote Originally Posted by BurnedToast View Post
    If you have to use magic you should try and use burning hands whenever possible - elementalists get tons of castings of it, we are much less likely to run out of that then any other spell. It also does a fairly high amount of damage. (sometimes I wish they had a burning hands type spell for the other elements..). Save the bolts for really nasty baddies.
    Actually, when I played elementalists without caring about saving castings, I used to run out of burning hands before any other spell. Yes, you get lots of castings of it, but it is so good...

In my humble opinion, it's the best offensive spell in the game. Ridiculous casting cost, high damage, no item destruction, and especially, you can hurt all these pesky enemies that shrug off bolts. Yeah, it isn't perfect: there are enemies with fire resistance, and you have to use it at melee distance. But just the advantage of being 100% sure of hitting monsters that shrug off bolts makes it worth it in a lot of situations. Plus, there are a lot of different bolts and you're always going to have castings of some or other, but there's only one Burning Hands.

nathrakh Guest

20001: start. I see a river. I drop our gold.
    20035: lightning lizard fire bolted. drops leather amulet (2s). It's not cursed.
    20075: found scroll labeled "MKMNFST". killed dobbleganger lord and troll berserker.
    20294: got poisoned from giant spider
    20230: bolted ice vortex
    20447: Felt good about our mana potential.
    20750: I swim across the river, some scrolls and tiny key gets destroyed. find clotted potion on the other side.
    21298: after regening at the stairs I descended to I26 (got critted twice by a bulette because will o wisp blocked escape route)
    21320: found cloak of protection (+3 pv).
    21548: encounter with a gorgon, had to bolt and use burning hands... luckily didn't petrify us
    after that I went to stairs and regened till 21999 and descended to I27.

as I was going to save the process got stuck. Luckily the backup-system worked and I was able to save.

Why did you swim across? Were frost bolt castings really that low?

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi View Post
    Actually, when I played elementalists without caring about saving castings, I used to run out of burning hands before any other spell. Yes, you get lots of castings of it, but it is so good...
    Hm, weird. I usually have a lot more castings of burning hands as an elementalist. You get more castings and you lose less spell memory per cast than the other spells (it's based on pp cost). Plus it's a melee substitute, and as a caster you're better off not letting things get that close to you anyway.

I'll be playing my turn in some minutes, so everybody is welcome to look at it and critisize it after I'm done =)

Ln: Why does it mean the other one is cursed, and not blessed?

Unlucky mate. So very close.
    Last edited by Covenant; 05-01-2009 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Saw the result...

Whoa, I'm luckier than Grey - got pwned by a mimic hivemind, which was looking like exactly candy - rofl..

Anyways, my adventures:
    Descend, explore the level, some loot. It had tension room, which appeared to be with Rust Monsters - leave them and flee to the stairs.

Next level - explore, explore and explore. The room with a down staircase smelled of carrots - I drink our !ofCarrotJuice -> +5 Pe. Then I fought with some guys, which left me with 1/4 hp. I close the room, w5-healed, open the door - welcome the troll king! Drink !ofInvis -> frost bolt, unluckily no corpse. Then there is animated armor, some other guys and finally baby karmic dragon. Haha, I wasn't able to even hit him with missiles, had to throw !ofBlindness with 7 hp and flee. While fleeing got 15 lvl - some skills and Good Learner talent. BTW, Ma raised before the lvl, St and Ch (probably, or maybe Ap) raised after. I descend to flee from the dragon.

w5-healed, then found secret door, kill some stuff, wasn't able to kill fire vortex in time - luckily we have -Fire. Then I milked raider for arrows, go explore the other part of the level, again kill some stuff, and then I see precious bit of candy - which appeared to be mimic hivemind. Probably I would be able to understand, that something was wrong with the color, but I play winbeta4 always and colors are slightly different there, so I thought it was food. I hadn't even a chance to do anything before being torn to pieces. And it was on 23900+ - just before the end of the turn..

EDIT: of, by the way, can we turn on Show_Experience in the .cfg? If everyone of you doesn't mind it, of course =)
    Last edited by _Ln_; 05-01-2009 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Just remembered)