Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: The Weakest Link '09: League of Shadows

Well, I'm dead. Slaughtered by the living walls.

Covenant, the dwarven elementalist, was killed by a living wall.
    He scored 112082 points and advanced to level 17.

28070: A bit of confusion over a keypress and I manage to lure all the living walls toward me. Apparently there's a tension room. Knowing the situation is bad, I decide to bless our ID scroll and identify everything.

28120: Losing battle against the walls, so I have to bless and use a scroll of power we had. Sorry, but I don't want to die :P

28250: Seems pretty hopeless. There are three in the top right room, more in the bottom right. I somehow manage to race past the three and run to the top left to w5. Now surviving isn't my worry, but descending is.

28550: Open door, surrounded by more walls, nearly die, spam fireballs in last ditch attempt to survive. Gain level 17. Lose a mana point, because I had to cast from health. Sorry.

One wall left. Get para'd. Get strength drained.

2900: No hope of getting past all those monsters before I die. Unless... I eat my last candy rations and head out, hoping to do something crazily heroic.

29300: Make it to the door to the stair room, but it's locked, and when I try to open it a blindness trap goes off.

29400: Despite trying various tactics to stay alive (gaining a level in the process), I die while blind.

Quote Originally Posted by Epythic View Post
    Covenant, was hilarious to see how that "*Hurumph!*" made you slow down immediately

What were you doing at the down stairs all the time?
    Someone was watching the wrong game.

Is it possible that the Abyss may need to be activated? Heh.

Nah, it's doable. Especially with the spoilage I got from watching Covenant. Though probably it won't get up to my turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    Someone was watching the wrong game.
    This is not league1 ?

Eww. I noticed it when your turn numbers started at 28k. The Hrumph was 26600ish

Question: what did I watch?
    Of course it's unfair - that's the whole point.

The Adom wiki: everything you don't want to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/

This is not league1 ?

Eww. I noticed it when your turn numbers started at 28k. The Hrumph was 26600ish

Question: what did I watch?
    You watched league1. Covenant played on league2.

Covenant, was hilarious to see how that "*Hurumph!*" made you slow down immediately
    That was me. Heh, yeah, didn't want to run headlong into that.

What were you doing at the down stairs all the time?
    For all the time I wasn't doing anything I was spectating Covenant struggling with the living walls in the alternate league. He made a good go of it and it was entertaining to watch.

e: I'm done on league1. I have something IRL to attend to for a few minutes - bear with me and I'll post a report shortly.
    Last edited by furious_styles; 05-02-2009 at 05:17 PM.

Ah that explains why the char was named "furous_styl"
    Of course it's unfair - that's the whole point.

The Adom wiki: everything you don't want to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/

Ah that explains why the char was named "furous_styl"
    Yes, it wasn't Covenant playing an elaborate trick

Right, report is on the way, sorry for the delay.

Alright then:

26085 -- I move to the right of ID 30 and clear out some pit vipers. Find a spellbook of Light, read it 'til it disappears.
    26220 -- Clear out the right side of the level, berserker prince, not much else.
    26260 -- Nothing left on the level, so I descend. Hurumph! Oh dear. I also feel a certain tension.
    26700 -- After having ascertained that Dorn Beasts don't see in darkness, I very carefully sweep the whole level, killing a variety of minor mobs. After searching most of it, there are three closed doors, so one of them is a mixed tension room with a Dorn Beast in it. The first room is empty. The second contains the down stair, a 36s spear, and a wooden shield. I equip the spear and it is an adamantium spear of slaughtering (+0, 2d10+6). I have been on a spear-finding hot streak this game. The shield is a standard wooden shield [+3, +1].
    26770 -- I explore past the stairs and aggro a greater water elemental. I carefully kill it in darkness. It drops an ID scroll. We have two stacks of three waters, and going on the rationale that we were more likely to have found regular water first, I dip the scroll into the second water stack and read it. You suddenly understand the function of all your items! (this will save my ass later on, lol).
    27000 -- Another greater water elemental - there's a roomful of them beyond the down stair. I try to kill it in darkness but it panics. I decide to let the XP from the elementals go, and descend to ID 32 as this level is pretty dangerous to be hanging around on with a Dorn Beast and god knows how many elementals with water breath.
    27400 -- While exploring ID 32 I become Hungry! and have to eat our plain candy as we have no other food (except gnomish candy, which would be worse).
    27480 -- Mirror room. -1 Pe ;-(
    27510 -- Kill and eat a fire lizard.
    27825 -- Exploring the other side of the level, I get bolted from out of vision by something. I only have 200 turns left to survive, so I back up and wait for a bit, but am chased down by... an ancient white dragon. First thing I do is equip our amulet of the cold heart which I ID'd earlier. Darkness on, I melee him for a while and he panics at Moderately Injured. Confident that I can survive a bolt from distance if it comes to that, I cast Light to see where he ran to, and oh my god the entire room is now full of ancient white dragons - I am almost completely surrounded. I get bolted about eight times, somehow survive, and cast Darkness again the next turn, then Fireball all the nearby dragons to death. One of them drops an adamantium girdle [+0, +3]. We also collect a couple of wands, and an opal ring (on which more later).
    27900 -- Level 17. Literacy (2) - maxed, Detect Traps, First Aid (3).
    27950 -- I advance carefully, staying in darkness as much as possible. I kill a few more whiteys. With about 30 turns to go, I kill another whitey in darkness, step forward to pick up the gear it dropped, and move next to a darkened doorway space - schoolboy error :P. Yet another whitey was obviously there, and it promptly crit me to 1hp thanks to the bugged darkness doorway behavior. I back up one step, and Burning Hands it to death. I only have time to regen to 8hp before it's time to hand the save on, but whoever takes it next, you should be safe enough in the darkness for now. Just bear in mind that there are an unknown amount of ancient white dragons on the level!

Code:
                           ############### ###########.
                           ..............# #  ..[..../.
                   ######### #...........# # ##########
                   #.......# #...........# # #
             #+#   #.......###...........# # #                         #
             #.#   #.......+.+...........# # #                         #..
             #.#   #.......###...........###.########        ###########...
             #.#   #.......# #.......................       .+.............
       #######]#####.......# ###############.########       .###########....
       #...........+.......#               #.#             ..#         #....
       #.........###########################/######################### ######
       #.............................../...    /.............../.....#
       #################################...  @ #################.(<.$#
                                       #...    #               #.....#
                                       #########               #######

Furious styl  St:17  Le:26  Wi:15  Dx:12  To:16  Ch: 1  Ap: 2  Ma:15  Pe:11 N+
    DV/PV: 36/33   H: 8(112)      P: 38(86)      Exp: 17/284515     I32   M: 28000
    Hungry Coward
    Notes:

- The room where I assume the dragons are coming from is at the upper right.
    - The opal ring that I found is adamantium and if I'm not mistaken is therefore either damage, slaying, fire, or (drum roll) djinni summoning. We are of course deep enough in the ID now that it could be a RoDS.

The vlg is here.
    Last edited by furious_styles; 05-02-2009 at 07:27 PM.

Interesting question would be what to wish for in such a situation. 7lbs would be a solid choice, of course. An eternium tower shield, ring of invisibility, or ring of elemental mastery wouldn't be terrible either I don't think. For that matter, if you've got teleport control, books of teleport might be an inspired choice. Ditto for books of Cure Light Wounds.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.