Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: The Weakest Link '09: League of Shadows

I survived. the main changes are that we now have a pair of nice shields and bracers of regeneration. Here is the vlg.

32000: I decide to take on the tension room.
    32040: I kill the berserker emperor, mainly with darkness.
    32141: I've killed a few more creatures in darkness.
    32165: I kill a vampire with a few spells without getting drained.
    32280: I kill a fire giant in darkness, but the corpse does not increase St.
    32324: I was careless with a giant slug and lost half my health in one breath... these things really are lethal!
    32355: I finish with the tension room and find the stairs, now resting for some health.
    32644: I descend at 92/111 to I35.
    32645: Monster detection: karmic dragon and not much else
    32669: A moloch! Uh-oh... I don't know whether bolt spells are effective against it, so I run.
    32687: Ugh, while running I step next to a mimic hivemind... I am scared of darkness with the moloch around (I think they see in darkness?), so I drink the potion of invisibilty. I cast a few spells and the mimic panics, so I take the time to pick up a crystal shield and use it immediately.
    32706: The moloch comes in before I finish off the hivemind and then invisibility wears off... I dodge around the moloch and use a berserker as a partial shield. The mimic berserks and hits me once, but i become unparalyzed quickly. At this point I cast darkness, kill the mimic, and run.
    32719: Good, the stairs are nearby... and an ancient karmic dragon is approaching, so I descend to I36.
    32725: I sense a tension room and decide to wait in the starting room for full health after locking the door.
    33031: I explore cautiously. the downstairs are in the next room.
    33082: I find a potion of insight (later drank).
    33227: I explore to two closed doors, and neither is trapped. I want to know what the tension room is before I risk opening it, so I use monster detection... but it is cursed, and I waste a charge before realizing that it doesn't work right.
    33229: I bless the scrolls of uncursing, read one, zap wand -- ghosts. Dwarves don't age that easily, but I'm still a little hesitant to open it up.
    33291: I go to the other door and find bracers of regeneration.
    33393: I descend to I37, since staying will just use up food for no purpose (there doesn't seem to be any monster generation because of the tension room) and thus might be considered chaotic behaviour.
    33421: I hear a distant wind and bolt a dark elven priestess to death before any summons arrive.
    33430: I find a carrion crawler and decide to train shield skill for a while... hmm, this isn't working even though I am blocking a lot. Does anyone know why this wasn't giving shield marks?
    33496: I find a large adamantium shield which seems better than the large crystal shield. An energy vortex arrives and I kill it in darkness, but it doesn't appear on the kill list?
    33567: I kill giant slug with spells because I am very wary of them now.
    33602: I attack a greater mimic in darkness. It runs and I follow.
    33661: I bolt another dark elven priestess, but this one summons many spiders and runs
    33802: I kill a lot of spiders and a greater chaos servant.
    33803: I decide to drink the potion of insight:
    intrinsics: -fire, -poison, -telecontrol, -shock, regeneration rates are 43/89
    33864: Something drops a large ration!
    33910: I track down the priestess just in time to see her suicide on a trapped door.
    33918: Level 18! Immune to weather effects! I'm not sure what skills to increase, so I push up gemology and mining each three times.
    Talent: Good Learner
    33938: I wait on the staircase until 34000, though there is more of I37 that could be explored.

When you have the chance, I think it's also your turn in the kobold league, evariste.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Okay, I'm about to take my turn on League One. Having first crack at ChAoS tactics should be entertaining.

Alright, away we go.

42000 -- This room looks nice and safe. I decide to stay in it for the duration of my turn.
    42500 -- To make sure no nasty monsters attack me, I cast mighty fire spells to scare them away!! Eventually all our fire-based spells are gone ;-(, with the exception of Improved Fireball, which I save for emergencies. I have to cast from HP an awful lot to keep up with the spells, though. We might lose a point of Mana or five in the future.
    43000 -- I pray to our god to deliver us from evil. A lot. He doesn't seem to like this, and curses all our gear. Regrettably, at that point I was dual-wielding fortune cookies. Oh well!
    43990 -- We get hungry. I eat our cursed gnomish candy. That's all our food. ;-(
    43999 -- Down we go to ID 52. We feel a strange magical shock! (lol)
    44000 -- I survived, yay! I are the greatest!!!

Code:

#######
         #.......
         #.@.....
         #.......
         #######

Furious styl  St:19  Le:26  Wi:22  Dx:12  To:16  Ch: 1  Ap: 2  Ma:16  Pe:10 N+
    DV/PV: 33/32   H: 138(138)    P: 0(130)      Exp: 20/765664     I52   M: 44000
    Coward
    The vlg is here. Godspeed, you brave warriors!
    Last edited by furious_styles; 05-05-2009 at 06:02 AM.

Hopefully the fortune cookies will bring the next player luck
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Ha, thats certainly more chaos than I would have gone with - nice job, lets hope you get tossed into the Abyss later

Quote Originally Posted by vogonpoet View Post
    Ha, thats certainly more chaos than I would have gone with - nice job, lets hope you get tossed into the Abyss later
    Heh, well, I'll cross that bridge should we come to it, though I think the character is still in a strong position to live for a while yet. I'll happily take my chances with this save should it come back around to me.

edit: Alright, I was in two minds whether to post this, but I suppose for the benefit of anyone else who's playing for the first time and might be similarly tricked :P, I will. I was pretty surprised to find myself being slated in IRC for chaos tactics which I considered relatively mild and left the character, despite its handicaps, in an eminently survivable position.

If you believe - or if it is consensus that - there is some kind of acceptable limit to chaotic behaviour (despite all the rules having to say about the Chaos Gate is "you can do anything you want"), might I suggest that this be made apparent from the outset? I can't help but think that this would be a better method than just getting angry in IRC when you believe someone to have overstepped some arbitrary chaos line which was not even hinted at until that point.
    Last edited by furious_styles; 05-05-2009 at 06:37 AM.

Err, its not the namby pamby mumsy wusmy slightly naughty gate, its the FuCkInG ChAoS gAtE.

If you can create a situation where no one else can survive for 2k turns but you can, then congratulations, well played. Someone in the IRC channel disagreed???

Quote Originally Posted by furious_styles View Post
    edit: Alright, I was in two minds whether to post this, but I suppose for the benefit of anyone else who's playing for the first time and might be similarly tricked :P, I will. I was pretty surprised to find myself being slated in IRC for chaos tactics which I considered relatively mild and left the character, despite its handicaps, in an eminently survivable position.

If you believe - or if it is consensus that - there is some kind of acceptable limit to chaotic behaviour (despite all the rules having to say about the Chaos Gate is "you can do anything you want"), might I suggest that this be made apparent from the outset? I can't help but think that this would be a better method than just getting angry in IRC when you believe someone to have overstepped some arbitrary chaos line which was not even hinted at until that point.
    There is no limit beyond your own imagination. What you've done is perfectly within the rules. However I think it will just lead to several successive deaths and ruin the game completely. Where's the fun in that? You're likely to die on your turn too. Chaos tactics should have a bit more thought to them than just "let's screw up the character". They're supposed to increase competition, and there's better ways to do that than suicide. There's nothing wrong with what you've done within the rules, but as a general tactic I can't help but feel it's very short-sighted.

Just my opinion anyway. Don't take it as criticism. I just think overly strong tactics will backfire badly on you
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I just think overly strong tactics will backfire badly on you
    Agree there, but there you go, ChAos Is As ChAoS dOeS.

What the hell are we talking about when we want to limit ChAoS tactics? 100 to one that we will now have someone in the abyss without food, most spells, weapons, etc. So he took that risk, oh well.

As for it not being fun, I can't wait to see him getting disqualified. Har har har. That's fun as far as I'm concerned.

EDIT: The weapon issue is easy to fix. The next guy prays some more to get his crap destroyed.
    Last edited by Maul; 05-05-2009 at 07:25 AM.