Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526 LastLast

Thread: The Weakest Link '09: League of Shadows

Quick question:

If player B prays a million times as a chaos tactic,
    that will lower each proceeding score signifigantly.
    That could cause player C's score to be lower than
    player A's, due to no fault of their own. Could this
    cause any problems with ranking, or am I just
    sleep-deprived-and-not-thinking-straight?

EDIT: Player C would naturally be at a lower ID
    level than A, so it wouldn't matter. Sorry.
    Last edited by gut; 05-06-2009 at 04:30 AM.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    Quick question:

If player B prays a million times as a chaos tactic,
    that will lower each proceeding score signifigantly.
    That could cause player C's score to be lower than
    player A's, due to no fault of their own. Could this
    cause any problems with ranking, or am I just
    sleep-deprived-and-not-thinking-straight?
    As I understand it score is irrelevent. Placing is determined by rounds survived, then level reached, then turns taken (or something like that...)

Score is just for fun.

Sleep-deprived and not thinking straight :P

Rankings don't depend on the ADOM score, since it's a fairly arbitrary number and no good for our needs. Ranking goes by the following factors (in order):

1. Number of weakest link rounds survived
    2. ID depth reached
    3. xp gained
    4. game turns survived

So if both players die on the same round it goes to ID level, if they both died on the same level it goes to xp, and if they both have the same kills it finally goes to who managed to put off their inevitable death the longest.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Hmm, and yeah, I haven't had time to make a proper high score listing in this competition yet. Fairly irrelevant so far anyway - obviously whoever died most recently scored higher...

There's about 8 hours left in the competition if any remaining players want to take their turn. Therefore in the interests of speed I'm going to really lets the rules go fly: If your turn is before the end of the round then you are free to take it out of order! Just post here to say you're doing so.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer

And having said that... I'll take my turn now. Finally have a bit of spare time. Hmm, and assuming I survive (unlike Al-Kwarizmi) I'll have the first chance at employing chaos tactics on league2!
    Platinum Edition ADOMer

Looking at previous reports it seems there's been a lot of molochs about, heh... Anyway, let's get started. Bracers of regen, 35 PV, plenty of food - obviously this save is from before the chaos gate

34000-34500: Explore the level a bit more, find a couple of scrolls. Milk some blinkies for marks/xp. Berserker emperor falls to a few frost bolts. +1 Ma.

34500-35000: Descend to I38. Sense a certain tension. Walk around a little, open a door, and am confronted with a mixed tension room - contains, amongst other things, a red dragon, a giant slug, a stone ooze, and a fucking titan! But... oh, the experience is so tempting... I bolt a few things and the titan ends up in a clear line - oh shit, time to scarper. Jackalwere summons a few buddies and I lock those behind a door. Phew!

*THUMB* *THUMB* *THUMB* *THUMB* *THUMB* *THUMB* A hurthling cake (30s) is lying here. *THUMB* *THUMB* *THUMB

I think the titan's gotten loose...

A few thumbs later I find the stairs down and gladly descend to I39. Hmm, find the next stairs closeby so I put more distance between us - I40. Uh-oh, another tension room... Zap wand of monster detection to reveal another mixed room, with another titan and a greater demon inside. Not much that can see in the dark though... hmm... In a fit of madness I open the door

I started zapping monsters and they all fall easy, and then the titan comes up so I cast darkness and start scorching it... Then suddenly something is attacking me and draining stats and breathing fire. Uh-oh, shoulda paid attention to that greater demon... I keep casting frost bolt out of hp, but we lost a bunch of eq and stats. I then go back to our titan, and scorch it for ages and ages before realising it's immune to fire

Well, I got thoroughly sickened by that, so I went to find the stairs. Beside them was a chaos warrior I had gotten to critical earlier, to had healed up now. He criticalled me to half health and stunned me! Darkness saves my skin, and I descend to I41.

35000-35500: Magedoom eye on the next level lays in a lot of hurt - confusing and stunning and criticalling. Damn it... Darknes saves my skin again and I kill it. Stone golem in the next room and I'm out of HP and PP, grr... Burning hands it to death. Find and drink a potion of toughness. There's another tension on this level - screw it, I'm descending. I42. I43 shortly after.

35500-: Kill water elemental and a bunch of others. Found blanket and hill giant corpse (cooked for later - blaoted at the mo). Descend to I44 to be faced with a moloch. It gets a hit in but only takes to half hp. Run away.... HOLY SHIT! Threat room of diamond golems! Ruuuun! End up sandwiched between the diamond golems and the moloch!

Hah, man, I go out with a bang... I zap a wand hoping it's digging - turns out it's destruction! It clears all the walls around me, drains half my HP, and then the other half is taken away by the moloch. RIP
    Platinum Edition ADOMer

Am I really the only person who feels that repeatedly diving down numerous evels just to escape a monster is kinda counter-productive??? I mean, what were you expecting, I 44 to be magically safer than I 40? Devoid of monsters perhaps?

Cool death though : ))

Diamond golems, molochs, and especially titans are still pretty rare at that point, although something around the difficulty of ancient dragons is inevitable. I think those were some pretty unlucky levels. It's all random, anyway, I44 might have been full of goblins and big dogs for a change, I suppose. Still, someone is bound to be happy 'bout this...

I'll have a go at this as there is still a couple of hours to go. I saw deepshock's turn, but not Qui's.

Waited for sickness to cure.
    Killed some chaos warriors and reached level 21.
    Tried to burn one warrior, forgetting that it makes me visible to it.
    Dropped down to 1 HP. Killed plenty of warriors and collected eternium gear.
    Prayed to get the current equipment destroyed, but forgot to drop stuff first, so everything is cursed again.
    Dived down several levels.
    Got killed by a karmic dragon's death. I couldn't be bothered to play carefully, since this thing is over very soon anyway.
    Last edited by meh; 05-06-2009 at 11:35 AM.

heh, I started watching just in time to see you melt our phase dagger

tough luck with the dragon