Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The Weakest Link '09: League of Shadows

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Cenobites? Don't know what that is I'm afraid.
    Huh. Well in that case I suggest you obtain a copy of the track Aeroplane by the Red Hot Chilli Peppers, and transfer it to the portable music playback device of your choice. Whilst listening to afore mentioned music, mosey on down to your most conveniently situated public library and inquire as to the location of their Horror section. Should investigation of said section prove futile with respect to finding The Hellbound Heart, the critically acclaimed novella of Clive Barker, then request it forthwith (ISBN-10: 0061002828) from the severe looking lady behind the counter, otherwise, enjoy.

/Seriously, its good.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Competition is still open for more to join. If the current players want to keep rotating the rounds as is then they're welcome to until new people join in. I'm off for a few hours now - will be back later.
    I'd have no objection to waiting 'til later in the day to see if anyone else wants to join in, but I'll defer to group consensus here.

I'd like to join.

I posted a bit earlier in the thread that I'd like to play - any objections if I grab the next turn?

Ah, I missed the PM that I was sent after my first post!

I'll start my turn soon if anyone wants to spectate (I don't know if anyone else on here is awake at this time of day.. are any of you from Australia? >_>)

Count me in.

Finishing a turn on top of the stairs is actually the safest possible way to avoid an Abyss situation.

If you generate the next level for the next player and create a Trial of Rust-like situation, it's pretty much game over. By ending your turn on the stairs this is much less likely to happen: If the next player dies, the player after him will face a completely different level, and at the very least won't have to face what the other player died to.

So if the character in your league happens to be very weak, you're much better off making sure that there are no major challenges left on the last level you created.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    Finishing a turn on top of the stairs is actually the safest possible way to avoid an Abyss situation.

If you generate the next level for the next player and create a Trial of Rust-like situation, it's pretty much game over. By ending your turn on the stairs this is much less likely to happen: If the next player dies, the player after him will face a completely different level, and at the very least won't have to face what the other player died to.

So if the character in your league happens to be very weak, you're much better off making sure that there are no major challenges left on the last level you created.
    In theory yes. In practice:
    Let say i start on i12 with weak char. I spend whatever needed to explore it. I may stay on stairs and descend in very end of turnset or descend and find stairs to I14.

In both cases i risk of having RMT [rust monster trial] level problem, in first case i will find it myself and may be die or will have to fight heavy fight in second situation i got few folks to dish it, may get additional info...

So which is safer? I'd say safest way is to descend exactly one level at very end of your turn...
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Wasn't sure how much detail to go into, so I did a lot of detail.

6002: Descend to I8 after checking out our stuff.
    6009: Listening +1 as I dodge a pit trap
    6035: Bright potion found
    6053: Down stairs found
    6058: Medium Shield equipID'd as [+3, +1] not cursed
    6088: Gah, laggy server means I get hit by a magical cone of ice 3 times before I notice... invisible ogre magus I guess. 10hp...
    6104: I get out of the room without being hit further.
    6110-6141: w5 in a closed room for health until the (now visible) Ogre Magus opens my door.
    6145: Two Frost Bolt casts to kill the re-invisibled Magus (didn't want to risk being hit by it again.. only 21hp still)
    6149-6305: w5'd some more, up to 39hp, when a Ghost Bat enters the room
    6309: Killed the bat and left to explore some more
    6359: Unlocked a door with the Square Key - Key turns to dust.
    6378: Burning hands cast to kill an Orc Chieftain, found 13 arrows.
    6464: Burning hands a hill orc sergeant who was doing some decent damage to me
    6470: And again on a Chaos Plague Bearer, who dropped 3 more arrows.
    6487: More arrows from a Wight
    6521: Your muscles feel stronger
    6535: Potion of Water
    6560: Fire beetle melee'd; no corpse.
    6598: Arrow'd a panicing Swordsman for some ranged marks
    6601: Ate an iron ration
    6618: +1 Listening
    6621: Descended to I9
    6624: You hear a distant wind
    6634: Open a door to an Ice Vortex. Firebolted (more efficient, now +2)
    6635: This room also contains the down stairs!
    6647: Found an iron ration
    6691: Huh, river. Down stairs are on this side though so I won't regenerate.
    6718: Nothing else interesting on this side of the river... and it'd cost 4 Frost Bolt castings to make it over the other side. I guess i'll go descend again, since I'm at max hp/pp.
    6763: Descend to I10
    6769: Found down staircase already.
    6772: Found broadsword.
    6784: Burning hands doppleganger to avoid Confusion (more efficient, now +11)
    6789: Found a blanket
    6808: Burning hands Ratling Duelist because I hate disarm. He dropped Gauntlets.
    6811: Equipped Brass Ring - it isn't cursed.
    6842: Ate iron ration
    6854: Burning hands yellow ooze to stop it regenerating
    6887: Chaos brother paniced and ran off, too fast for me to catch
    6906: Found Vibrating Ring
    6942: Found large ration from berserker
    7029: Slow shadow hits me. You feel weak! x2
    7030: Burning hands to kill.
    7059: Copped a few corrupting hits from the returned Chaos Brother. Burning hands him because he was hitting me more than I was hitting him.
    7090: Burning hands a hill orc sergeant who hurt a lot.
    7103: Eat large ration.
    7104-7210: w5 for hp until a spider comes along
    7214: Kill the spider, Your muscles feel stronger.
    7214- 7300: more w5ing, killed a Homunculous and an Eye of Destruction who destroyed our cursed thick furs. Re-equipped our old robe [+0, +1]
    7304: Killed an ettin who interrupted with 2xBurning Hands. These mobs can do some damage to us, definitely not descending again yet.
    7335: Dark elven warrior poisoned me. Shot a frost bolt at it and a ratling warrior - ratling killed, elf shrugged it off. (+7) frost bolt
    7341: More poison, elf dispatched with 2x burning hands.
    7351: Why won't enemies leave me alone. Outlaw Leader killed with Frost Bolt + Burning Hands.
    7374: Two frost bolts to kill a goblin chieftain - can't let them near me, I'm on 3hp and poisoned. Regenning hp still. Ate an iron ration.
    7384: Damn it, poison takes me to -2hp. 2000 turns is such a long time

Shouldn't've descended so readily earlier I guess.

Score: 15251.
    Dungeon Level: 10.
    EXP: 27135

Also, the server is hella laggy to play on for me. Definitely going non-server for the real thing.

I'd go next, but I guess I need to wait for someone to upload the savegame?