Thread: Extended Translation Discussion (Split from "To release or not to release...")

Default Extended Translation Discussion (Split from "To release or not to release...")

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    If you guys are going to have this extended discussion dancing around the issue of translating ADOM then I suggest someone starts a new thread instead of hijacking this one.
    Done.

Quote Originally Posted by Epythic View Post
    Would you please stop accusing people of being xenophobic?
    I am not calling anyone xenophobic.

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    I find your comments abhorrent, and entirely xenophobic.
    The key word is comments. If I find a comment or argument xenophobic, I'm going to state that because sometimes people say things without realizing how they come across to others.

But then, this is becoming a full-blown flamewar.
    According to the Wikipedia disabiguation page, "A flamewar is a prolonged exchange of deliberately hostile messages over the Internet."

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    That wasn't my intention.
    My messages are also not deliberately hositle, and I have no ill will toward the people I was replying to. I don't see how this meets the criteria for flamewar.

my final comment shall be that I am against and will not support any ADOM translation project
    Because more ADOM players is a bad thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Sradac View Post
    all im saying is it seems to be a heck of a lot more of a job than its worth
    So something like Pokemon Mystery Dungeon is worthy of a global release, but ADOM is not? Is ADOM somehow less valuable than Pokemon Mystery Dungeon?

Anyone that i've encountered that can read italian
    The key phrase is that can read Italian. No matter how good the Inferno is, I don't feel I have the time to learn Italian to read the original.

says there is not a single translation of Dante's Inferno to ANY language that does the book justice, in fact some flat out hurt the book.
    Do they go so far as to say that translations of the inferior translations of the Inferno are so bad that there is no useful information in them? That you would be better off picking up a cheap paperback?

So again, why bother?
    Because not everyone knows every language. Even if the translation is inferior, if the work is really good it will still be exception in its inferior state. Those who are impressed by an inferior translation are free to experience the original, but without the translation to spark their interest they would pay attention to other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi View Post
    If translating ADOM is worth it or not, is something that the potential translators would have to decide by themselves if the source is released. You seem to be acting as if someone were asking you (or other people) to translate ADOM, when no one has done that.
    I agree. Nobody is asking anybody to help with a translation. So if you do not have to involved at all, and the participants are all voluntary and respect the work, why do you care if they volunteer their time to increase the exposure ADOM receives?

you are aware translation to russian sort of existed?
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    you are aware translation to russian sort of existed?
    Yes I am. I heard it was more or less horrible, but it worked. What did they do about the characterset issue? Did they use ASCII, or was there a solution that used Cyrillic?

not cyrillic iirc. But i've only played thing once.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)