Thread: Killed in Dwarftown

Default Killed in Dwarftown

I've had a few silly deaths in the last couple of days (including promising characters killed by an acid vortex, a door trap, and animated trees), but this one is by far the stupidest.

Demba, a level 10 priest, had spent a bit of time in the big room looking for a ratling archer for the first dwarf quest, but decided to give up temporarily and sell some of the stuff he'd found in the shop in dwarftown.

He hadn't identified a scroll of identify yet, but he had a pile of 3 scrolls of x, so tried reading one of those in the hope that it was a scroll of identify.

"Suddenly it goes dark!". Ah, must have been a scroll of darkness. Never mind, lets go and sell some SIs.

"You hit something and slightly wound it"
    "You hear the sound of a gong".

Oh, no! I didn't mean it! Maybe if I 'C'hat to Waldy, he'll understand and stop trying to kill me.

"You talk to Waldy. "I hates thieves". Waldy hits you. You die..."

Shopkeepers typically can't see in darkness. If you're somewhat clever, you can partially salvage the situation by killing Waldy and stealing all of his stuff. You just need to be careful around doors (the shoppie will also run away eventually, but it is possible to corner him. With a caster, you can then just bolt him to death.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Yeah, I thought there were probably things I could have done to save the situation. But I was so annoyed at my stupidity at the time I didn't try too hard!

At that point, I'm pretty sure he made all of dwarftown hostile. It's been a while for me, too, but that pretty much closes a lot of avenues in the game.