Thread: speaking of wishes... wonder of wonders

Default speaking of wishes... wonder of wonders

Level 50 drakish wizard with a wide range of spells. D:48, all orbs obtained, preparing to assault the gate. Had a wand of wonder with 1 charge in my inventory, decided to play with it just for fun.

> This wand forces you to cast some spell! You focus your magical energies to release the spell.

> What do you wish for?

wow, that's a first. Current remaining spell knowledge: 0002, costs something like 5940 PP to cast. (Yeah right...) I had all the loot I needed at that point, so just wished for some more soul-scrubbers (scrolls of chaos resistance that is), but it was amusing.

Does your location (DL that is) affect the results of a wand of wonder / potion of wonder? Or does your character's XP level have some effect?

nathrakh Guest

AFAIK, no. All spellbooks - and therefore spells - are DL1 (danger level 1).

I had something like that exactly once. Long ago it was one of the first wishes I got when playing and having randomly found that wand in upper coc. Wished for some otherwise easily obtainable items like potions of water.
    This has a way of twisting your gameplay when you see all wands of wonder as potential wish givers...
    I wonder though if the chance to cast a random spell is equal for all spells?
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous View Post
    I had something like that exactly once. Long ago it was one of the first wishes I got when playing and having randomly found that wand in upper coc. Wished for some otherwise easily obtainable items like potions of water.
    This has a way of twisting your gameplay when you see all wands of wonder as potential wish givers...
    I wonder though if the chance to cast a random spell is equal for all spells?
    I did something like 3k zaps for testing in old days. Never had wish and some others like earthquake, improved fireeball seemed to be rather rare.

My guess would be it has same probablities as spellbook generated on ground. But since we do not know exact values for any of these anyway....
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

twinges wiki has the probabilities
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."