Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Thee Weakest Link '09: League of Fire

You're gonna get less enjoyment out of the game because the league master chose the initial talents somewhat poorly (it's not bad, really, if it enables Potent Aura)? Inconceivable.

Mindcraft is, for me anyway, Ctrl+I by default; much easier than Ctrl+X then m.

If you want to cry i may generate adequate start with -1Mana -Potent aura and Alert and misser.

Not that hard. But when i would like to see how many deaths will be in round one without confusion blast.

I am not even trying to be popular, but i am honest. I took best choices in this situation as my limited knowledge of mindcrafters and Adom goes and i am not ashamed of it.

leaving TH aside hurthling mindcrafter is very specific case.

Never knew of Ctrl+I... I used Tab actually but that does not work on all systems.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Eat this chart.

Without Potent Aura, we'd have a total number of 0 (words: zero, zip, zilch) castings of Confusion Blast.

Going for Treasure Hunter instead in this situation is sheer, utter, unadulterated lunacy. You get maybe one extra drop before you die to something you could have beaten if it had been confused.

So you want to play kiddie-mode orcish barbarian? You can't. Whining won't change that.
    Last edited by Silfir; 05-06-2009 at 06:07 PM.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    I also happen to be higher up in the playing order than you, which might influence my desire to get USEFUL EARLY GAME SURVIVAL TALENTS.
    I see league is going well at moment [goes for some booze]
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!

I still stand by this sentence, by the way. Don't know why I forgot to include in the edit.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Lets just make something clear straight off bat - our crafter would NEVER get to level 2 without that talent choice in my opinion. Thats all I am going to say about that.

So, initial thoughts on our hurthling mindbender - awesome R/C combo, but damn, Ruby's stats are not exactly stellar - having to rely on the talent system to have confusion from word go is a bit sad quite frankly, but if she survives to level 6 and finds some rocks early, game on

General strat: Go slow, cowardly exploration, confusion, beserk rock-throwing, milk missile throwing monsters.

Start:
    0: Switch to coward and enter ID.
    1: See river, but might not interfere, so ignore for now. Drink troll blood.

24: FIrst kill - confuse and beserk a large bat.
    40: Find downstairs on our side of river, so nice. Milk goblin rockthrowers for rocks, all right, now we are cooking.

277: Level 2 - archery, concentration x 3, first aid
    450: Level 3 - archery, concentration x 3, food preservation, choose Healthy talent - beserk confused rock throwing will keep us going for a fair while, but considering our total HP, regen required.
    H:26 (26) P: 20(20)
    474: No more ID on our side of river, dive to ID2. H:26 (26) P: 20(20) Rocks equipped: 9.

ID2
    Stairs in next room, continue exploration.
    I hear ripping sound . Uh oh, thank Shalla for rocks. Spider killed, level 4:
    700ish: Level 4 - archery, first aid, food pres x 2, music. My muscles feel stronger, oh yeah baby, St: 5.

Trade staff for spear and shield, still throwing rocks - gain level 5.
    769: Level 2 - first aid x 2, literacy, gemology, music (honestly our modifiers totaly suck).
    First corpse generated - eaten though, as we are hungry, and there really should be more corpses coming soon.
    901: shimmering potion.
    1026: 1st cooking attempt successful, nice - succulent giant rat.
    1030: ID2 all done, dive to ID3.

ID3
    1126: Find 8 rocks on the floor - awesome . We have shit loads of rocks now - 47 in fact. Wowzers.
    1273: Level 6 - we can now kick ass with the power of our minds. Cool. Will stick to rocks and confusion though.
    archery x 1, climbing (not yet fallen into a trap) x 2, first aid, stealth and the Hardy talent - we still only have 2 PV
    1279: kill first cat. Yeah.
    1500: Thick gauntlets - awesome. Half of our eventual corruption problems are solved (no solution for stiff muscles, but nevermind).

1543: We don't have that much food (2 iron rations, loaf of elven bread) - not getting many corpses at all really, so down I go to level 4.

ID4
    River in way, regenerate. Shit, gelatinous cube in new version right next to me, but rocks rock.
    Ha - a certain tension, chance to create some corpses... or die.

1569: Door trap takes me to half health, lots of rats visible... hmm, must avoid sickness. Ha, my door trap also takes me to level 7 Damn our skill modifiers suck suck suck. First aid, stealth, literacy (what the hell are we going to read, I know, but really, would you prefer haggling???), gardening and herbalism (we might find loads of seeds, who knows), and music (still no instrument either). I guess I need a bow to train archery *sigh*.
    Attempt to train cooking with rat corpses. 5/5 success rate, so training not really required, but damn, we need to put our level ups somewhere.
    1766: First claw bugs. Beserk rocks - level 8. I pump cooking some more anyway. Woah, we are now up to St:7 (I am basically carrying everything I can right now).
    Shit. Shit. Shit. Everything was going so smoothly, but then paralysed whilst eating by carrion crawler, taken way over turn limit whilst it beats shit out of me . I didnt even notice until I rocked it to death one turn later.... my message buffer si just full of "The carrion crawler hits you."

Code:
                     ###########                                       ###########
                     #......./.#                                       #.........#
                     #.<.....#.#########################################.....>...#
                     #.......#.........+................./.......................#
           ######### ###########.......#########.#.......###########.#############
           #.......#           #.......#   #.....#.^.....#     #....^#
           #.......#############.......# ###.#####.......#######.#####
           #......./.........../.......# #...#   #.......+.......#
           #########.################### #.###   #.......###.#####
                   #.......#             #.#     #.......# #.#
                   #######.###############.#################.####
                         #..............................@**.....].
                         ###########.############################
                               #.....#
                   #############.#####
                   +.............#
                   ###############

Ruby          St: 7  Le:17  Wi:15  Dx:18  To:15  Ch:12  Ap:10  Ma:10  Pe:13 L
    DV/PV: 24/2    H: 2(50)       P: 34(34)      Exp: 8/4614        I4    M: 2095
    Strained Coward

Pole arms                0    +0    +0   +0   unskilled            6
    Staves                   0    +0    +0   +0   unskilled            11

Thrown rocks & clubs     5   +10    +7   +1   skilled              27
    Shields                  0    +0              unskilled            4

Head          : -
    Neck          : -
    Body          : robe [+0, +1]                                         [60s]
    Girdle        : -
    Cloak         : -
    Right Hand    : spear (+1, 1d8)                                       [50s]
    Left Hand     : wooden shield [+3, +1]                                [80s]
    Right Ring    : cursed nograin ring                                    [1s]
    Left Ring     : ring of stun resistance                                [1s]
    Bracers       : -
    Gauntlets     : -
    Boots         : -
    Missile weapon: -
    Missiles      : heap of 14 rocks (+0, 1d4)                            [70s]
    Tool          : -

wooden shield                                                      [80s]
       medium shield                                                     [100s]
       thick gauntlets                                                    [15s]

ring of stun resistance                                             [1s]
       marble ring                                                         [1s]

wand of monster creation (2 charges)                                [3s]
       wand of paralyzation (5 charges)                                    [3s]

potion of water                                                     [4s]
       potion of water                                                     [4s]
       shimmering potion                                                   [4s]
       flickering potion                                                   [4s]
       shiny potion                                                        [4s]

scroll of gold detection                                            [2s]
    Food ('%')
       iron ration                                                       [100s]
       loaf of elven bread                                                 [3s]

82 monsters perished under her attacks.

2 carrion crawlers
          2 goblin slavemasters

She survived for 0 years, 2 days, 1 hour, 40 minutes and 41 seconds (2095
    turns).
    Ruby visited 2 places.
    Her strength score was modified by +3 during her career.
    Her mana score was modified by +1 during her career.

I guess you could chuck me out for going 95 turns over the limit, and the next guy has just 2 HP to play with. Damn. That is some twisted fire starting indeed. Sorry guys.

Ha. Silfir and Soirana will kill me.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Not me. I told clearly *not to break to much letters in rules*. With stairs down visible and prayers available that is okay for me.

You leveled that hobbit and that alone increases overall survival rate my much.

Next one Silfir:
    To 4000 turns please as discussed before.

What did you do?! o_O

Oh well, going over turn limit was accidental, I suppose, and I think one can survive with 2/50 HP if playing veeery carefully. At least I have rocks. And torches. Yeah. Rocks and torches for me now.

I don't think we need to interfere here, but Soirana is the here

EDIT: Ninja'd. Thank Shalla for that prayer, btw. Will play my turn now.

oops, I meant to show the number of rockthrowers I killed, not slavemasters...

Certainly can't think of a better time to use our first prayer... still can't believe that... who knew food was so dangerous . Must remember to only eat in closed rooms from now on.

I think my rock collection will be perhaps most beneficial thing I did.
    Last edited by vogonpoet; 05-06-2009 at 06:54 PM.

That much is true. I'm finished, I'm alive, and without rocks it would've been a lot harder. As it is, I didn't use up anything except that prayer.

Report:

Start: Light the torch. Heal a bit. Monsters ambush me. One of them shoots an arrow at me. 2 HP again. I pray.
    Several turns later: I kill several monsters with rocks, including an outlaw, an ogre, a ratling warrior, a kobold... I extinguish the torch because others might need torchlight more than me now, now that I'm at 50 HP again. We still have 17 tinderbox uses.
    2249: Feel hungry, iron ration eaten. Down to one loaf of elvish bread.
    2356: Last unexplored section of the dungeon is blocked by a trapped door. Screw that, I go the next level.
    2387: Kill a rat in melee. Lose 2 HP in the process. Yay. well, I have to get spear marks from somewhere, I guess.
    2426: Hungry again?! I have to eat the elvish bread. We can't afford strained anymore, it seems...
    2445: Switched some equipment around. Wore thick gauntlets, leather apron, now 4 PV. Dropped extra shields, dropped ugly clothes, still thinking...
    2446: Back to burdened. Got rid of two crude knives, a stone club and a fletchery set (last two picked by myself). I kept the spears though. You never know, and with Burdened I feel comfortable food-wise. It'll still train strength.
    2453: Descended to I5. I'm expecting heavy ogre magus sandwich at any minute now.
    2460: And the level sweetens my welcome with a new iron ration. If I'd known that I wouldn't have eaten the elvish bread...
    2466: Kill a wolf.
    2468: Suddenly some monsters appear out of nowhere. Three dire wolves. No way to evade; I have to kill them to survive.

FUCK.

2472: I retreat to a doorway. Werewolf is standing in one line with me, so... CONFUSION TIME!
    2496: Werewolf is dead. Only dire wolves left now. Great. Rocks are slowly getting sparse. Not so great.
    2507: Thankfully, with max Concentration I can pretty much freely use mindcraft. Good thinking, vogonpoet! (Okay, maxing Concentration on any PP-using class is a no-brainer)
    2534: I think I've got them all. 31 rocks left.
    2850: (Yeah, w5ed a bit, I'm not stupid) Found a room containing a ratling archer and freshly summoned skeletons. Because you gotta love necromancers as a mindcrafter. FUCK.
    2851: Are those ghuls?!
    2852: Closed door. If I can't see them they can't see me. Sadly the keys we have don't fit. Aw
    2919: Killing a ghul and a couple of skeletons gets me level 9. I go for Music, First Aid, 2x Gemology (we might find gems and identify them?), and Stealth. Don't look at me like that, our skill selection IS that horrible and all the useful skills were at max, except Archery, and what is the sense of increasing Archery from 35 to 36? Talents. Affinity to Rocks & Clubs sounds tempting. But the list has Tough Skin available, which is a lock. Next guy should get Very Hardy or something...
    3132: Stupid me let a ghul in melee range Killed it with normal mode rocks in melee. I explored the level and it appears the down stairs are behind the undead hordes. Not good. I think I'll take a look. Thankfully I don't have to descend if I don't want to. Luckily skellies make good spear training. Got to level 2 in Polearms, 1 in Shields. I don't want to repeat last year's League of Air, where our hurthling priest ended up completely incompetent in melee and eventually ran out of rocks
    3258: RNG has some fun at our expense by dropping an old tome. Fuck you. Maybe I could light it in on fire with our tinder, flint and steel?
    3259: Equip the book as a thrown weapon.
    3274: Tossed it at a skellie. Didn't work. Useless piece of shit book.
    3384: Beat more skellies. Found a fortune cookie. And bones.
    3436: Dropped light and leather boots to get rid of Strained. It's much better to wait for heavy boots than to try our luck at these.
    3444: A zombie for a change.
    3495: Finally got that necromancer in my clutches...
    3496: "You hit the necromancer and moderately wound him. The necromancer suddenly seems to panic!" Skeleton immediately blocks his escape route! COME BACK YOU SUCKER OF UNDEAD COCKS!
    3535: I put on a hat. It's a regular zero zero hat. Can't blame me for trying... No, it is not cursed.
    3612: Necromancer decides to show himself once more. This time without minions. Fool. You shall not escape.
    3615: Necromancer panics.
    3616: Necromancer gets the back of his head smashed by a rock. Dumbnut.
    3619: Strength increases to 8.
    3714: Killed a giant lizard with rocks. Anybody who knows how they can hit in melee won't blame me. I'm already meleeing every skeleton, zombie, and oddball weakass monster.
    3728: Feel hungry. Chomping down on bones.
    3827: All the skellies are dead now I think.
    3875: I'm standing on the downstairs. 14 below max HP, so you can guess what I'll be doing now...
    3960: Killed ghost bat who disturbed my slumber. Jerk.
    4011: I dumbly w5ed over the mark Oh well, this means I survived!

Code:
                                                                     ###########
                                                                     #./.......#
       #################################################             #.#.....<.#
       #......./.......................................#             #.#.......#
       #.......#######################################.#####       ###.#########
       #.......#                                     #.....#       #...#
       #.......#           #########                 #####.##### ###/#####
       #.......#           #.......#                     #.....# #.......#
       #.......#           #.......# #########################.###.......#
       #.......#           #.......# #....[[..............](/............#
       #########           #.......# #.#######################.###.......#
                           #.......# #.#                     #.# #.......#
               #############.......###.#######################.# #########
               #........././..............."...#...............#
               #.@.......#####/###############.#.........#######
               #.........#   #/......................(...#
               ###########   #############################

Ruby          St: 8  Le:17  Wi:15  Dx:18  To:15  Ch:12  Ap:10  Ma:10  Pe:13 L
    DV/PV: 34/5    H: 47(57)      P: 39(39)      Exp: 9/9526        I5    M: 4011
    Burdened Coward