Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Weakest Link '09: League of Ice

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    My memory is that paladins get 2.5x more books than normal (wizards get 10x more, for reference). I don't remember where I recall reading that, though, so I might have just made it up.
    You're right, I just reread that and paladins are 2.5 times more likely to get a book.

I still don't think we will get enough to make the caster line a good choice, though, but of course it's up to whoever gets the levels.

...at least we don't have alert so we can't bicker over TH, heh.

Ok, I'm about to take my turn, if anyone fancies a perusal.
    Loitering with intent to loiter.

Quote Originally Posted by LuciusKain View Post
    Ok, I'm about to take my turn, if anyone fancies a perusal.
    I'll have to remember to go and pick up that short bow you left in the south-west; as a High-Elf, we get a bonus to them, don't we? Or am I thinking of some other game?

Anyway, I should start playing in an hour or so, give or take. I'll post again before I do.

High elves get no special bonuses with bows, the char has 3 already, and the char has a cursed crossbow currently equipped - that's why LuciusKain didn't pick it up. Of course you're welcome to nab it yourself if you want.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Ok, here goes, ill post a txt, then elaborate on bits i missed.

2030: Level 7, took swimming, x3 dodge and concentration - teleported across river
    2113: Ate a random apple
    2155: stealth to 52
    2215: hit by corruption trap
    2366: crossbow is cursed
    2368: lost 'odiv' and 'wopak' scrolls to swimming, spear is rusted
    2485: health up
    2609: distant wind
    2637: ethereal bridge up 1
    2676: fire vortex, down to 15 hp
    2683: regenerated level with grey's permission
    2976: w5 for health
    3022: descended to be sure
    3066: dropped gold...
    3210: jackalware, already summoned
    3242: lost the jackalware somewhere
    3262: killed a hell hound
    3349: found out stairs must be behind trapped door in the south east; going to try and level at least before i take it
    3369: listening up 6
    3448: decided to test un ided wand, :knocking, sweet
    3450: crossbows lvl 2
    3502: ogre down, no corpse
    3802: picked up a leather girdle
    3898: fire lizard, no corpse
    3914: strength +1
    4000: just killed a ratling warrior

Ok, Between teleporting across river and regenerating the level, i tried desperately to find the stairs, but couldn't. Grey gave permission to invoke the river rule, so i did.

Next level was fairly in-exciting, found a non hostile barbarian leader, and descended straight away as half my turn was up already, I didn't want to get stuck.

On the next level I casually wandered around, going for xp and weapon marks. We have a wand of knocking now, not sure how many charges left, i didn't look. there's various bits of junk around. We have a fair amount of food. That's about it.

http://ancardia.ath.cx/adom_users/league3/luciuska.vlg
    Last edited by LuciusKain; 05-07-2009 at 09:20 PM.

Incidentally, If it makes your typing easier, feel free to refer to me as just Lucius; everyone does eventually

Quote Originally Posted by LuciusKain View Post
    Ok, Between teleporting across river and regenerating the level, i tried desperately to find the stairs, but couldn't. Grey gave permission to invoke the river rule, so i did.
    Just to be clear, the situation was that the char started in a room surrounded by water. With teleport he was able to get across and explore most of the level, but didn't find the downstairs there. In the lower left corner was a corridor separated by a single square of water - he crossed that, losing a few scrolls in the process (cursed crossbow meant he couldn't throw them) but the stairs were still not to be found. He teleported again and ended up in the main area. Whilst waiting for PP to recharge (takes a long time with low Concentration) he went around kicking all of the walls in case the stairs were in a hidden room - they were not. It was clear that the stairs were either further to the left (couldn't see past the river) or in a room in the bottom-centre (blocked by 3 river squares). He got PP up again and teleported - ending up next to the upstairs. If he had persisted with the teleporting he could have found the stairs, but might not have been able to descend before 2000 turns was up - very unlikely in fact, as he was almost halfway through his round already. Wading across the 3-square river with 43 hp might have ended his game too, even with the swimming skill. I thus gave him permission to invoke the river rule, since as I see it he had made every reasonable effort to reach the down stairs.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

As people on irc will know, I didn't even realise that Ethereal Bridge was teleport to begin with. And after exploring so much of the level it felt abit cheaty to regenerate the level, but still, I was willing to entertain the idea after having Grey explain his reasoning

Right, starting my turn now.

4000: Examined the inventory, tested out a few items, nothing special (the [+0, +0] girdle and such you'll find in the pack).

4107: Descend to I7

4150: A river blocks the only path westward. I'm also hungry, so I eat the large ration. I'll teleport.

4175: Appear in a room with a centipede and dire wolf, kill them, reach experience level 8. Pick Healing * 2, Athletics, and Concentration.

4400: Have explored whole left side of level, found stairs, and determined that all the other unexplored bits would require too much swimming to reach to make it worthwhile. Descend to I8

4480: Find the stairs at the bottom left of the level, decide to wait and explore further.

4560: I pick up a large ration.

4700: I'm encountering a suspicious number of displacer beasts. Hmm...

4760: You hear a distant wind. Crap! I'm racing to the stairs now...

4777: Only to get stopped by a spider summoner. Aah!

4800: Retreat to the corridor I entered the level from, closing the door to the 'new' area behind me (hopefully trapping that vortex). Eventually manage to kill the spiders and the Dark Elven wizard, despite it blind raging me. Get 2 spider corpses, eat one for poison resistance. Keep the other one for the memories (and 'strained' status).

4900: I rest on the stairs to regain HP, become hungry, eat dwarven sausage.

5050: Health fully regenerated, I dither. I decide to read the teleport book again, to slow down a bit, and in case the book gets destroyed.

5070: 27 more castings. Descend to I9. Pick up speckled potion on ground.

5150: Encounter a dark orc and a master swordsman, get in a spot of bother. Teleport, only to wind up in a small room with a hill orc sergeant, with my health still low. I prayed for health restoration, then managed to kill it. Find the downstairs, but leave them for now.

5450: Kill and eat a fire lizard. Maybe we got fire resistance?

5550: Spot a karmic lizard, later kill it (from afar). Your muscles feel stronger.. Dropped the other spider corpse, as we were only at burdened, and wouldn't have gotten any more Strength gains.

Misc: Sword skill + 1, Crossbows + 1

5750: Hungry, eat large ration.

5960: Reach experience level 9 off a chaos rat and least demon! Woohoo! I pick Concentration twice, then Healing twice. I pick the Healthy talent. Sorry guys, I like regenerating fast (it wasn't a popular decision in the channel, hopefully you won't think it's too terrible a choice).

6028: Returned to the stairs down and waited for the next guy. w5 pushed me a bit too far, so I ended here.

EDIT: Also, I forgot to mention this, but at some point we picked up a medium shield [+3, +1] IIRC (which we're now wearing), and a watery potion
    Last edited by Covenant; 05-08-2009 at 02:45 AM.

One small thing: raiders are edible ;). Not a big deal since we have enough food left, but if it's free and lying around...