Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Challenge games

Default Challenge games

So when you guys are doing you challenge games are you playing on the server, or single player?

Im starting my Stone Age Man challenge today. You can see the details here. Further suggestions are welcome before I start.

http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread.php?t=1113&page=3
    To this day I have not once scummed in ADOM.
    Probably why I dont have a win.

I always do my eternium man attempts on the server, to entertain you guys about my quick deaths with the monster memory (I don't actually have any sensible strategy to complete it, nor do I entertain any hope to do so, but it's fun). That's just about the only time when I play on the server. Actually, the only two challenge games I've tried other than that are Steel Man (boring, and in theory, easy - if one can evade wilderness encounters 100%, and has Survival maxed out, it's just a choice between endless leveling on mobs that get stronger but provide less exp and on doing some crazy plan like with that one Steel Man winner who messed around with summoners to get wishes for exp) and Iron Man (may look easy, but for some reason, this challenge is a challenge - and of course, I'm yet to complete it).

I'd suggest forbidding glass as well (worth mentioning because glass amulets are rather useful).

How do you stand for artifacts? For example, is the Ankh legal to use? Elemental gauntlets?

I'd be very interested in spectating this, so I'm glad you're doing it online. I tend to play my own games online, due to the increased stability.

Im un-decided on artifacts. One, many are metal. But too, they could be just that, Artifacts.

Think 2010 space odessy, The obelisk all the apes find. Hmmmmmmmmm we'll see...

Should allow bows - bows have been around a LONG time. You can pretend the wood arrows are tipped with stone, since it never says anywhere they are metal specifically. Crossbows, of course, would be out. Javelins and thrown spears should be OK as would slings. Leather armor is OK, tanning was invented in the late stone age, though studded leather is out of course. Cloth should be OK too, textiles were developed right at the very end of what is generally considered the stone age.

Books are a grey area. Some very, very basic symbol based writing was around at the end of the stone age, though of course nothing so complex as a spellbook (or paper). I'd say no, but of course it's up to you.

I say no artifacts and no magic, otherwise it's just all too easy.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Starting up CaveMan. No magic, no artifacts. on the server.

Dwarf Ranger, took Healthy, Long Stride, and Careful.
    Last edited by Sradac; 04-30-2009 at 10:33 PM.

Surprised you haven't gone for a troll - two-handed club at the start is very caveman-esque

Hmm, I'm bored, think I might join in your challenge for the fun of it
    Platinum Edition ADOMer

Grr, started with a troll barbarian (St 31, To 29) and then realised after a few minutes that I had bought a couple of rations from Munxip's shop using the initial gold. Well, was a silly mistake, but I can't be arsed restarting. Not using gold again, I promise... Killed the raider goons (for no reason I now realise) and woulda saved the puppy if he wasn't in a secret room I took forever finding. Found two altars - C on PC3 and L on PC5. The L is unfortunately right in a corner, making the cavern advantage useless since I can't dig in this game *at all*.

To clarify, the restrictions I'm using:

-no metal items (only wood, leather, bone, etc - stone age materials)
    -no magical items
    -no gold (though I will use shops to get an idea of what things are worth)
    -no scrolls or books (in fact no literacy all game)
    -not sure about bridge building - might lug the tome around lug so I can shove increases into it...
    -potions are allowed unles they have extreme magical effects (eg invis and the higher healing potions)
    -herbs are allowed

Of course corruption will be a nuisance and the Tower might be tricky (I figure thrown rocks + spenseweed), but we'll see how things go. Should be very different from speedrun wizards...
    Last edited by Grey; 04-30-2009 at 11:28 PM.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer

What about cursed magical items, that you put on while unidentified? Just play on until Holy Water becomes available to uncurse and remove?

Also, Grey, what poor luck to find a cloak of invisibility while playing a challenge like this!