Thread: Wand of destruction?

Default Wand of destruction?

I've seen many references to this item, several saying that it supposedly simplifies the fight on D:50. What exactly does it do? In all the mentions of this item, I found not one explanation of how it works. I currently have a \oDestruction with 0 charges, so it would definitely be nice to know what will happen before I attempt to wrest the final charge ;-)

Thanks.

The wand blows open a large area around the target. It damages you, IIRC, and can destroy walls and other things. Specifically, on D:50, there are two levers. When you switch them and walk away, a balor will teleport over and hit them again. So you either have to kill all of the balors on the level (or use another trick), or, once you hit the lever, you can blast it with the wand. This destroys the lever and prevents the balors from switching it back. If you do this to both levers, then the Chaos gate will remain closed indefinitely.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Destruction wand technique is inferior to other cheesy methods IMO.

Cheese victories work like this: It doesn't matter how many monsters you kill on D:50, as
    long as you ascend the < with both levers thrown, you win. You can throw one lever and
    wander around as you please, but throwing the second means you can't. As soon as you
    venture... I think 13 steps from the second-thrown lever, a balor will awaken, tp to one
    or both levers and open them in one turn. This is why you can't just throw the levers, tp
    to stairs and climb, as that takes 2 turns. So you don't HAVE to destroy the levers, just
    prevent a balor from TP'ing to either lever in the one turn it takes you to TP to the <.

Ordering 2 pets to stand on the levers works fine. Necros, SoFS, statues of wondrous
    power or wishes work well.

If you have no friends, you can use enemies. Paralyzing a weak enemy on each lever
    works, but takes some manuevering.

If you can't manuever so well, use locked doors. Just trap a non-door-smashing
    monster on top of each thrown lever and you are good to go.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Hi folks...
    Most of my PCs are pretty paranoid by the time they get to D50, so my preferred ending is to clear D 50 of all monsters, close the gate, destroy the levers with a WandDes, then leave. That way, no chaotic adventurers can come back and open up the gate in my absence.

The cheesy methods that rely on the balors being polite enough not to murder anyone standing on the lever and/or not to touch the lever after the PC left are definitely less risky, since destroying the lever with the wand will also rip open the wall to the central chamber, inviting everyone present to feast on your entrails. (This is of very little concern if you can teleport, though.) However, the wand of destruction method isn't cheesy. It's perfectly valid from a fluff perspective, i.e. it makes sense that it would work. With a device of such immense magic, it's quite possible that no forces of chaos of this world could quickly and easily, or at all, replace the mechanisms involved, and with no reinforcements from the chaos plane, they would eventually and inevitably fail to the forces of balance and order in Ancardia. (It is implied in the game's lore, I think, that closing the gate only offers another couple thousand years' respite at most before another hero will have to be called upon; defeating Andor Drakon to become an Avatar of Order or Balance is the only permanent victory over chaos.)

Should you care about the difference? ... Nah. In my 25 wins or so, I've always either destroyed all monsters that would handle the levers or the levers, but I've never had to do so by the very skin of my teeth (is that the expression?). A win is a win. I just prefer the win that makes sense, since ADOM makes an amount of sense unusual for roguelikes.
    Last edited by Silfir; 01-18-2012 at 05:06 PM.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

As far as cheesy methods go... if you're a monk or beastfighter, you can use :s with hostile monsters to swap your way to the lever, hit it, then swap monsters back on top of the lever to cover it. As long as you move the balor away and replace it with a chaos servant or something, it's fine, because those hallways are so packed with monsters that there's basically no chance he'll ever move off of it.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.