Thread: Installation on Linux?

Default Installation on Linux?

Okay, I wrote a long-ass post and then I discovered what the problem was, but that just leads me to a new question:

How do I get Sage to work when not run with sudo? It seems I can either mark the adom binary "chmod +s" which disables Sage, or mark it "-s" which makes it crash every time I need to see a high score, except if I run it with sudo. This is under Ubuntu, 10.04, and I have gotten everything done except I can't figure out this last bit. (THANK YOU, incidentally, to the kind souls who updated the code and made it run on modern Linuxes, I have been having to use VMWare to boot Windows to play ADOM so this is much appreciated!) I'm running the precombiled binaries of Sage, the ones that incorporate a couple patches, linked at the bottom of that thread.

After all this work -- figuring out how to apply the Houeland patch on Linux, migrating my Windows config files (gotta have my adom.cnt, I don't want to have to kill another hundred adventurers to get into the Bug Temple for what would probably be about 10th different install . . . ), fixing the problems I managed to create by doing those things, I'm anxious to have everything finally settled.

I have gotten it to this point: If I "chmod +s" the adom binary, Sage displays a message about how it probably won't work if you run the binary as setuid or setgid. It links to a page at the old Sage website which, unlike most of the rest of the site, did not get recorded at the Wayback Machine, so I have no idea what it said or if it offered a workaround. And I tested, it definitely doesn't work.

If I then "chmod -s", SAGE works but the game crashes every time it tries to access the HISCORE file (with somewhat hilarious results, like savegames that when you start them you immediately die, because it saved during a crash while it tried to see if the game qualified as a high score.) If I run it as sudo, though, it works. I tried changing the owner and group of adom-sage to "adomown" like the adom executable but that didn't seem to make a difference.

Is there some magical combination of ownerships and permissions that I can use to make ADOM not crash and Sage work without running it sudo? I'd rank my Linux knowledge as intermediate at best so if it's going to be something complicated, you may need to dumb it down a little for me. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Exy; 01-11-2012 at 03:45 AM.

I can't give you the solution you're looking for because whenever I have a permissions problem on Linux I usually just chmod 777 everything . Not the wisest move perhaps but I'm impatient. Besides, I don't use Sage. What I do to run Adom on Linux is to have Dosbox installed and run the DOS version, because it saves me a lot of hassle (actually I used to do that on Windows too). I can have fullscreen and the classic font just by pressing Alt+Enter. I haven't tried any patches though and I don't know if the adom.cnt is compatible but maybe it's worth a try if you can't figure out another way. Just "sudo apt-get install dosbox", start it up and "mount c /path/to/Adom" and start the game. It does use more processor power this way but that's about the only negative point I can think of. You can even configure dosbox.conf in your home directory to do all that automatically.

Yeah, I'm familiar with Dosbox (I already have it installed for a couple old DOS games) but I'd really like to get the whole thing set up properly using the Linux executable since, like, Thomas wrote it on Linux. Especially since I've actually got it basically working, and just need to fix this whole permissions/ownership thing.