Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The Weakest Link '09: League of Earth

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    We can't cook anymore? What kind of hobbits are we ... what will we do for second breakfast?
    I told him on IRC...
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Quote Originally Posted by Ars View Post
    Really, ditching cooking set is bloody stupid. You rather keep a 150s leather armor than 100s cooking set?? Making food more nutritious, lasting, better status and lighter, that's useless to you? It's not like there isn't enough time in this game to do a little cooking while waiting to heal.
    That's pretty much it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ars View Post
    Really, ditching cooking set is bloody stupid. You rather keep a 150s leather armor than 100s cooking set?? Making food more nutritious, lasting, better status and lighter, that's useless to you? It's not like there isn't enough time in this game to do a little cooking while waiting to heal.
    I was going to equip the armour actually, but figured I'd try unarmed for a while first. It wasn't till we found the girdle of carrying that I was convinced to stay on the monk's true path to enlightenment. However it only takes one good equipment find to change that (chaos knights in particular when we get deeper down, or just a good shield at some point.) Still, was indeed tempted to drop the armour as well, but figured it might be handy if our clothes are blown off.

As for food issues:
    -We don't need more nutrition - we're a monk with high food preservation and the Falcon sign. We're bloody swimming in food as it is.
    -Don't need longer lasting food, since we have enough food in general and our satiation decreases slowly.
    -Better status only counts for cursed corpses - do we even know how many of those we have? Benefit is negligible at best. We don't have any serious corpse problems.
    -Cooking doesn't reduce enough weight to match the weight of a cooking set unless you have so many corpses you are strained.

As for regenning HP whilst doing some light cooking... well, I never found myself sitting around regenning HP on my round. And I shored up the char with the rocks and resources to help everyone else not need to sit around cooking either. Instead you can run around killing enemies safely with missiles, which ultimately leads to more food than sitting around hobbling over a frying pan.

Honestly, I think I did the character a favour - that cooking set was a waste of space. It's bloody stupid to hang on to it.

Having said that though, I would have held onto it if it wasn't contributing to burdened status. But even after I found the girdle I wanted to be undurdened whilst wearing it (dropping items to change satiation is much more of a nuisance as you know, and potentially a hazard if a monster picks them up or breathes on them). I dropped other things that I considered to have more potential value than the cooking set. In particular finding more rocks meant I had to prioritise items that were more useful. Cooking set... it's just a luxury. Really not worth it in this challenge, at least not on this char. I'm sure some of our starving competitors in the other leagues would like some of our throwaway corpses though
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

I think it's short-sighted too. You're assuming you won't ever have trouble to score food again. And I'd like to know how being Falcon enters into this discussion at all
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

To be honest, Grey, the main reason that I would have voted to keep the cooking set is because our satiation drops so slowly, that we may risk losing valuable corpses without cooking. For example, on my turn, I started bloated, and remained that way for a LONG time. Hundreds of turns IIRC. During that period, I killed a large spider, fire lizard, and karmic lizard, all of which have the potential to drop very valuable corpses that I wouldn't have been able to eat (as it was, I cooked the spider corpse and waited many turns before eating it and getting nothing out of it, but you get the idea...). Food preservation might be enough, but if it's a cursed corpse, maybe not; trying to keep ourselves from being bloated is desirable, but sometimes it's hard to avoid as a monk.

Since we're swimming in food, you could have ditched one of those heavy corpses that we don't need, for example. Or ate it.

I spent a fair amount of time healing myself, so using those turns cooking wasn't a bad option while I was playing. Then again, I was also playing with 2-4 unstacking rocks for my entire turn, and our healing is maxed out now, so our healing time is way down from when I played.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    I think it's short-sighted too. You're assuming you won't ever have trouble to score food again. And I'd like to know how being Falcon enters into this discussion at all
    I, uh, oh damn... I was getting confused with Wolf :/

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer
    Since we're swimming in food, you could have ditched one of those heavy corpses that we don't need, for example. Or ate it.
    I did! Kept finding more corpses too - prioritised eating the fresh ones.

As for valuable corpses... possible, but food preservation makes corpses last a long time at the mo anyway. None of us should be getting to bloated (it only has negative consequences), so the only real problem is something like a hill giant tension room that means lots of corpses at once.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer

Where is psy_wombats? You should do your turn soon. Also 1st post could use some edit, with player sequence, if that would make hime notice.

F50, can you pm him reminding him about his turn? I think he's only got ~24 hours left, now.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

I've pm'ed him. He has until 3pm GMT on the 11th (tomorrow). Bit of a shame if he doesn't make it though - he was on the forums just a few days ago...
    Platinum Edition ADOMer

Alright I'd be rather surprised if psy_wombats shows up, so I am removing him from the turn order. If he shows up before nathrakh takes his turn he's back in of course, but otherwise nathrakh can go.