Page 61 of 106 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571 ... LastLast

Thread: minor things but undocumented

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    As far as I can tell, other than with spellbooks, items are sorted purely by which was picked up first.

However, there are some oddities. Dropping an item and picking it back up will restore that item to the same order as was in your inventory before. However using up all of one item type and picking up a *new* one of them will place the new item at the bottom of the list (one reason why I always try to use up all potions above holy water and try not to use up the last of my holy water, to keep them at the top of the list).

There is no such pickup memory with spellbooks, strangely. Spellbooks are stored alphabetically, as everyone knows. If you have several of one spellbook type and drop one and pick it up again it will go to the bottom of that type. Same happens when reading, since the spellbook is temporarily removed from your inventory as you read it. If you want to keep reading a spellbook to death you should keep reading the bottom one of that type (otherwise you'll read every one of that type of book until they're all low on readings).
    Note that tracts and books of Confucious aren't included in the alphabetical listing, and will be in the pickup order. They will all be together above spellbooks.

Also, spellbooks aren't sorted alphabetically when created, only once picked up. So if you do as I did and generate 100,000 items on the ground, the spellbooks will be in order of creation until you pick them up, at which time they will be sorted alphabetically in your inventory.
    The Adom wiki: everything you need to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/wiki/ADOM_Wiki

Yeah tracts of chaos at least work mysteriously. I had Strenght of atlas and tract of chaos in my inventory. I used the SoA for bookcasting, but for some reason they changed places in my inventory. I did nothing but bookcast the SoA (both had been IDd before and I didn't drop them or anything). This almost caused me an heart attack since it meant I accidentally read the ToC when I was supposed to bookcast SoA. Needless to say I threw the damn track so far as I could and never wen't near it again.

Hi all, just wondered if anyone had ever got from a scroll of familiar summoning, on DH2, a "Skathanangar, the great red wyrm." before, or if I'm actually the first (I did spend an awful lot of time wishing for more scrolls / water to bless on my troll barbarian with a wish engine or personal genie as I like to call it )

He was a rather beastly companion, almost as good as the ancient karmic wyrm i had on my first character (which my friend who introduced me to the game said I was a lucky bi&^h for getting) but I ended up having to kill Skathanangar because he became hostile in the dwarven graveyard after a teleport trap made him disappear, and I "felt a change of heart in someone close to you", then took 200 damage in one hit through my 64 PV (!!!) and wow I had to use a lot of blessed spense / blessed ultra healing potions to get through that fight (Skathanangar was "extremely experienced" no idea what level he was because I have never found a stethoscope everrr but I was level 30 when I sadly had to put him down)

But yeah when I had a look at the familiar page to see what he really was, I noticed that there really isn't an awful lot of rare monsters that I get lots of the time documented in the guidebook, e.g. Ancient karmic dragons, emperor liches and balors are all what I routinely decimated for experience rather than keep, as I was after another ancient karmic wyrm again, but received Skathanangar instead which I thought was awesome.

I have summoned greater titans, greater molochs, molochs, normal titans, quickling kings (which are great to kill for the corpses to eat for speediness) and heaps more that weren't as exciting as those, but I have used more than 1000 familiar scrolls on the second level of the dwarven halls (and gone through plenty of wishes worth of scrolls and new exchange potions and holy water and so much else) because I really wanted that insanely awesome ancient karmic wyrm again, when I accidentally made him hostile on my first character, I was a level 34 troll beastfighter with a lot of stats, and got killed in two hits from 600+ HP. . . Whenever I [l]ooked at TAZ - the ancient karmic wyrm, it would tell me he had damage ranging from 30 - 800 or so, but that can't have been right because he basically 1 hit everything, balors and molochs included. Never tried vs a greater moloch (I tried wishing for an emperor moloch once just to see how many came, and far out there are a few... They just tunneled the hallway out around me to surround and then decimated me and the great red wyrm Skathanangar - that barbarian is my wish engine character)

But yeah just wondering if I really am the luckiest person ever on my first game of ADOM, because I've never seen another ancient karmic wyrm, although I've never finished the game yet, even with the amount of wishes I've got on my barbarian, I just sorta' don't know how to finish it really lol and don't need to, it's fun enough without.

Are you sure it wasn't a great karmic wyrm you summoned? I'm pretty sure the ancient karmic wyrm is sort of unique.

AFAIK, familiar summoning can get you any monster up to the danger level you're sitting at (although if you go too high you always get greater elementals). I've seen balors, greater molochs, great karmic wyrms, and emperor liches before. Greater earth elementals are still actually probably my favourite summon (regeneration, massive damage and PV, ranged attacks), and much easier to get than a lot of these since at very high DL, you get them about 1/3 of the time. Balors aren't half bad either, though.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

I am positive it was an ancient karmic wyrm because I've had great ones on my barbarian, but never another ancient, but thanks for your concern for my literacy.

And Skathanangar and the ancient karmic wyrm did also regenerate very fast too, I beat down Greater Earth Ellys in like three hits (got two swords of sharpness that I managed to get up to 4d8+12 from increase melee damage scrolls so I hit pretty hard) and TAZ / Skathanangar took sooo many more hits than any other summon I've ever got, including greater molochs. By FAR.

another edit : isn't that other ancient karmic wyrm called a special name like Skathanangar was? Because the ancient karmic wyrm I summoned on my first scroll of familiar that I ever used was not a special name, i [n]amed it TAZ.
    Last edited by cloud_2901; 04-06-2010 at 01:50 PM.

I once wrote a script that genned 1000's of figurines of wondrous
    power, and never got an ancient karmic dragon, got plenty of
    everything else though. I think someone recently posted about
    wishing for an AKW, and it impacting the quest from Sharod Wador
    in some way, though can't remember the specifics. That indicates
    he is unique, though I have never tested it myself.

Non karmic wyrms are always named, even the ones from figurines.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

For those who want to have some fun on familiar summoning, try the two glades. I summonned a solar once. Which was awesome, for a bard.
    Haven't won with : Druid, Priest, Elementalist, Weaponsmith, Ranger, Merchants, farmers, Necromancer,Thief
    Currently trying : Entertaining girlfriend. Very, Very, VERY hard.

Just a silly online game

Quote Originally Posted by cloud_2901 View Post
    another edit : isn't that other ancient karmic wyrm called a special name like Skathanangar was? Because the ancient karmic wyrm I summoned on my first scroll of familiar that I ever used was not a special name, i [n]amed it TAZ.
    It must have been an ancient karmic dragon then. Would have been a multicolored D, as opposed to a multicolored W. The wyrms are a bit better because they can confuse enemies and cast magic missiles at them (which are actually more like mini improved fireballs). AKDs are still cool companions to have though, as long as you don't get caught up by their bolts...
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    As far as I can tell, other than with spellbooks, items are sorted purely by which was picked up first.
    I might be wrong, but I'd say items (other than books) are sorted by which one was generated first, not picked. Meaning if you find an iron ration and don't pick it up, then find a large ration and pick it, then pick the iron one, it will go to the top spot.

Quote Originally Posted by warheart View Post
    I might be wrong, but I'd say items (other than books) are sorted by which one was generated first, not picked. Meaning if you find an iron ration and don't pick it up, then find a large ration and pick it, then pick the iron one, it will go to the top spot.
    I also always seem to have items sorted by the generation order (or picking up I don't know nor care since it's still "random"), but I've heard this alphabet sorting in so many places that it must be platform dependent. I'm using Adom Sage under windows 7. I'd really like to hear what platform the people who get alphabetical sorting are using.