Page 7 of 106 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: minor things but undocumented

Default PoCC damage

I did some informal testing with thrown poccs to see just _how_ good they were... tests done using Candle Gnome Priest. No effect from level (1 or 17), stats (starting or flat-99), skills (16 levelups worth of increase), tactics (!) (always throw poccs on coward), or target (!!) (tested chaos lizard, chaos warrior, chaos wizard, chaos warlord, balor, Ancient Chaos Wyrm, with the same effect; chaos knight and greater black unicorn suffered no damage, as to be expected for a non-corrupting-touch creature).

All creatures tested took ca 50 damage from a cursed potion, 150 from uncursed, and 300 from blessed. The chaos warrior LOST his innate regeneration; the Wyrm did NOT lose his healing spells, and was back to full in four casts.

Follow-up testing with a mindcrafter shows that pocced balors can be mindcrafted without corruption penalty.

Stopping regen might be handy on the ASB.

I think I remember spectating someone on the server who killed the AKW with a thrown PoCC - it either gave no xp or very little, so be warned. Use it to initially weaken up, not to finish off.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Something else that most people might know about, but I never saw documented anywhere. You can save yrrigs while chaotic, then turn neutral/lawful later and come back to learn healing - it still counts.

Also you don't need to be near the healer for healing a monster to count as an act of mercy. I once healed the puppy in the PC before I ever met him, and I learned healing right away.

Edit: by right away I meant right away when I finally did meet the healer. I obviously did not suddenly gain the healing skill
    Last edited by BurnedToast; 06-01-2009 at 05:52 PM.

10 characters
    Last edited by Soirana; 12-15-2012 at 10:10 AM.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Here's something I've been doing for a while...

If you train with Bart, your score in the Tactics and TWF skills depends on your current Learning. In my most recent game I got Tactics at 97% and TWF at 100% by wearing the Crown of Science and drinking a potion of boost learning (for a total of Le=37). I think the number of weapons marks you get also goes up, but it's still on the order of 100-200 marks so not such a big deal.

It never occurred to me to use !oCC as a weapon. That's a real revelation to me...

Ben

Does throwing a PoCC at Keriax stop him from using his corruption bolts?
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

This is actually very helpful information. Thanks for sharing!
    Suddenly a stream of acid pours down from the ceiling! The cute dog is horribly mutilated by the acidic fluids! The cute dog dies!

Have we mentioned the scroll of repair trick?
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

What trick? Now you've really made me curious! Gah, He's not online anymore!
    Anyone?!
    Suddenly a stream of acid pours down from the ceiling! The cute dog is horribly mutilated by the acidic fluids! The cute dog dies!

A cursed scroll of repair will make any item or stack of items 'broken'. A blessed scroll of repair will then make that item repaired and blessed. So with 2 scrolls you can turn any large stack of items from cursed/uncursed to blessed. The biggest use (abuse?) of this is on cursed stomafillia gathered by characters without herbalism and use it for crowning. Same for spenseweed if you feel the need to rely on lots of blessed spense.

Personally I see this as a bit of a bug, and relies also on having 2 scrolls of repair (can be rare). Also the two main uses seem silly. Precrowns are easy to get, and uncursed stomafillia is worth about 4/5ths the piety of blessed stomas when sacced (so scrolls of uncursing are all you need if you don't have Herbalism). Anyone who relies on spenseweed so badly should have a look at how they're getting injured so much :P
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!