Page 20 of 106 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070 ... LastLast

Thread: minor things but undocumented

Did her room have an even length or width?

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi View Post
    Did her room have an even length or width?
    Don't remember. But why would that be relevant?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    Don't remember. But why would that be relevant?
    Surely not relevant for gameplay, but it could be interesting if you want to figure out how the algorithm works.

It is known that, generally, all the rooms generated in dungeons have even length and width. This is probably something that ADOM uses to align the rooms with the pathways.

Probably what it does is generate the rooms, then generate pathways without looking much at the rooms, and then wherever a pathway intersects a room wall, generate a door (which may be secret or not). The rooms and pathways are probably generated with such constraints that a pathway always reaches a room perpendicularly to the room's wall, and not following along the room's wall, i.e., this can happen

Code:
    #######
    #     #
    #     #
    #  PPPPPPPPPP
    #######
    and would generate this:

Code:
    #######
    #     #
    #     #
    #     +
    #######
    But this cannot happen,

Code:
    #######
    #     #
    #     #
    #     #
    ##PPPPPPPPPPP
    as there would be too many intersections with the room and no clear position to generate the door, thus something like this would be generated:

Code:
    #######
    #     #
    #     #
    #     #
    ##+++++
    The banshee's room is probably generated by and ad hoc routine where the Creator probably didn't take into account these constraints, so the bottom case can happen and generate multiple contiguous doors along a room wall. So I wouldn't be surprised if the Banshee's room didn't have odd length like the rest of the rooms. Although it could also have odd length and be misaligned, starting on a square where no other rooms can start.

Al-Khwarizmi: IIRC it had an odd-length.

Second minor thing: 'You are done eating the dwarven child corpse. You feel like a monster! This was a C or N PC, don't remember properly. Nice to feel like a monster

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi View Post
    It is known that, generally, all the rooms generated in dungeons have even length and width. This is probably something that ADOM uses to align the rooms with the pathways.
    This is not known generally. Is it even correct? I just tested with a char and found the opposite to be true - all the rooms I encountered had odd-numbered heights and widths.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

All rooms have odd width and odd height, except shops and banshee's room which both has even width and even height. I think room width is always between 5 and 11 and height is between 3 and 7 (or can anyone remember seeing larger rooms?) and I can't remember seeing rooms where height is greater than width (5*7 rooms).

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    This is not known generally. Is it even correct? I just tested with a char and found the opposite to be true - all the rooms I encountered had odd-numbered heights and widths.
    My mistake, where I wrote "even" I really meant "odd". I often confuse these two English words. As you say, they always have odd height and width.
    Last edited by Al-Khwarizmi; 08-20-2009 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sami View Post
    All rooms have odd width and odd height, except shops and banshee's room which both has even width and even height. I think room width is always between 5 and 11 and height is between 3 and 7 (or can anyone remember seeing larger rooms?) and I can't remember seeing rooms where height is greater than width (5*7 rooms).
    I think this is true.

Also, detailing more what I said before, doors in rooms are always at odd positions with respect to the corresponding wall: that is, you can have a door on the 1st, 3rd, 5th... wall tile of a particular wall, but never on even tiles.

Corridors are always aligned to follow this pattern. This means, for example, that you will never find a corridor running in north-to-south direction which is at the 10th square from the western end of a room. If you count squares rightwards starting from the western end of a room, all corridors running from north to south will be at an odd square. Similarly, of course, if you count downwards starting from the northern end of a room, all corridors running from west to east will be at an odd square.

This is why rooms generated ad hoc, such as the Banshee's, can go against the generation algorithm's constraint and create this strange effect with the doors.

It is also the reason why you can see things like this:

Code:
    #####
        #
    ### ###
      # 
      #####
    But, unless in vaults and other handcrafted parts of dungeons, you will never see this:

Code:
    #####
        ###
    ### 
      #####
    As this would mean that one of the two horizontal parts of the corridor would be misaligned.
    Last edited by Al-Khwarizmi; 08-20-2009 at 01:30 PM.

My theory has always been that the row of secret doors in the banshee room is there to ensure the PC never enters her level in line of sight with her... At least it's something I'd want to ensure. Possibly he noticed his code could not guarantee that the PC never got his stair room generated below her in a manner that would put him in range of the effect, and chose this blunt approach to keep it from happening. This is a very, very wild guess.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

To add to Al-Khwarizmi's post, there are also no u-turns in the corridors on normal levels. If you see this

Code:
    ####
    ...#
    ##.#
    ...#
    ####
    then you have missed a secret door.