Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Progress thread for an ultra ending

Quote Originally Posted by quik View Post
    I guess you are right. My point is that I usually play regular endings, because at some point an ultra ending will require some scumming I don't feel like doing. This time when I began this game I decided I was willing to put a little extra effort and thus, scumming a little bit for an AoLS is a part of it.

I'm sorry you don't find this interesting. I find pool sipping and grave-digging an interesting topic, but perhaps this is because I never have done it before.
    Lol. Well, you know wiizzies sorta have guaranteed AoLS.

Step 1 Clear library avoiding book destruction.
    Step 2 Learn Wish spell
    Step 3 Accumalte enough PP
    Step 4 Cast wish for the win.

I guess Step 3 involves a tad of scumming, but that is not problem for aspiring ultra.

/sarcasm tag
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

I'm heading now to the ID to get +Tctr back, a book of teleport spell and, hopefully, a RoDS or AoLS. After this, if I'm still missing the wish I'll go grave digging.
    Going there to get another blink dog makes sense, but I wouldn't worry about finding a book of teleport at this moment. Once you have the AoLS you are going to get one anyway.

Your chances of finding an amulet of live saving or wish in the ID while looking for a blink are about zilch. If digging graves doesn't get you one, you might want to check the water dragon cave (not a high chance of lucking out there but still worth a shot). Also check the ToEF, I found a RoDS there on more than one occasion (dropped by dragons IIRC).
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    If digging graves doesn't get you one, you might want to check the water dragon cave (not a high chance of lucking out there but still worth a shot). Also check the ToEF, I found a RoDS there on more than one occasion (dropped by dragons IIRC).
    Nice, I'll do that and if the AoLS resists (and I don't die) I'll just do an ordinary chaos god ending.
    1 ULE, 1 UNE, 18 regular endings. Won with every race. Trying to win with every class. Never won with farmer, merchant, mindcrafter and thief.

Giving so easily?

I wasn't that much sarcastic about casting wish as it might seem.

As you do not need to bookcast it and are not locked on allignment yet - cost is essential 1500PP [lawful silvernight, darknight does not work]. Assuming casting partially from Hp all you need is to get - 2xHP+PP over 1,5k treshold.

Even without of power /of life stuff it is reliably achievable for high level character. Lvel again is quite achievable via hunting Thumb! sound relatively deep in ID [>50 recommended].

Actaully doing this hard way [via cast] while might not be interesting but would at least serve as educational case.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    Giving so easily?
    Looks like you finally got interested .

I find your idea very appealing, I might try it if the other choices don't work out. Kelly should be proud if saved like this!

I'll keep my eyes open for rich flavor rooms and begin to scum a little bit my Mana stat, just in case.
    1 ULE, 1 UNE, 18 regular endings. Won with every race. Trying to win with every class. Never won with farmer, merchant, mindcrafter and thief.

I didn't know the phial could be used for blinding! Do you throw it to mobs?
    Yes, it's an indestructible potion of blindness. It doesn't work on everything though. Most humanoids, IIRC, which is fine because most of the monsters you might want to blind are probably humanoid anyway.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    > uncursed large eternium shield (-1) [+11, +5] [54s]

ditch penetrating spear and wield this
    My DV/PV changes from 112/31 with spear to 113/36 with two shields (both coward). I think I'm gonna stick with the spear as my playstyle usually involves meleeing weaker beings.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    Yes, it's an indestructible potion of blindness. It doesn't work on everything though. Most humanoids, IIRC, which is fine because most of the monsters you might want to blind are probably humanoid anyway.
    I was always lazy to investigate phial myself so I will ask instead)))

Does B/U/C status of phial has influence on range of monsters affected/ duration of blindness?

Update:

• Got +Tctr back.
    • I went to the Dwarven Graveyard to dig graves. There was only one grave of great treasures... It contained a master lich, but no wish. I also dug a couple of regular graves but I decided to stop as I think it's not very likely to get a wish there (correct me if I'm wrong please).
    • The Water Dragon Cave isn't a possibility yet as I have no means of water breathing.
    • I'm thinking of doing the ToEF now. I've got a ring of ice but I don't have intrinsic -Fire (lost it at the pools). I have two sources of -Fire (Elemental Gauntlets and RotHK) and on-demand healing (Cure Light Wounds). My plan is to get in and try to farm a corpse. When I obtain it, I have to decide either to go on with 3 -Fire sources or equip the Black Torc to get the 4th. EDIT: This is a mistake. I had forgotten that the intrinsic -Fire counts as 2 sources.
    • I also have the Rift in my head. Perhaps I should train climbing in bandit town first of all in order to raise it up with successive level ups.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by quik; 02-13-2012 at 06:16 PM.

The Rift, apart from being very useful for a wizard, always seems to give some item of water breathing. If you go there first, you should be able to visit the water dragon cave.