Thread: Learning Wish with a perma Invis character

Default Learning Wish with a perma Invis character

Hi guys!

I want to learn the wish spell but I'm not sure what I should eat before reading the book, considering that I have permanent invisibility. Any experience on this?

Just in case further information is needed, I have 33 Learning and I'm planning on wearing the crown of science, which should put me in 42 Learning. I was thinking about eating the oracle, but I'm not sure if I will get any increase at these values.

Code:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Character Information
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kiltirae    St:44  Le:33  Wi:34  Dx:26  To:37  Ch:32  Ap:25  Ma:42  Pe:27
    N=
    DV/PV: 130/45   H: 503(503)   P: 628(628)   Exp: 39/10433186   M: 115393
    1 ULE, 1 UNE, 18 regular endings. Won with every race. Trying to win with every class. Never won with farmer, merchant, mindcrafter and thief.

Intrinsic invisibility does not affect food consumption rate. That's why some people, me included, covet it so much after they're done with the arena - the to-hit and backstabbing bonuses are nice. Barring pools, invisible stalker corpses can grant it (or +SeeI), but they and their corpses are rare enough.

Well, enough about that. Learning Wish takes a lot of time, so food may be a problem even if your intrinsic +Invi doesn't get on the way. There are a few things you can do about this, so that starvation doesn't prevent you from reading the book successfully:
    1. eat a blessed stomafillia and a couple of potions of (potential) toughness to bloat yourself.
    2. find a room "filled with a very rich flavor" room in the ID. These severely decrease food comsumption if not removing it altogether.
    3. find a "the walls almost look like shelves of books" room in the ID. These halve the amount of time it takes to read the book - from 3003 to 1501. One stomafillia is then enough.

Remember to take any artifacts other than the CoS off, because they increase food consumption. If you're going for method number one, you can use any wilderness location - otherwise, lock the doors of the room you're on, and make sure there are no teleporting monsters in the level.

To get the most out of the book, increase your Learning as much as possible, because you must get 100 or more castings on the first attempt. I haven't learned the Wish spell in a while, but according what I recall from my last experience, having Le in the 70s gave me ~200 castings. The oracle corpse can be exploited to its full potential if you sicken and starve yourself before eating it, should you have no qualms about that method. Remember to have a means of removing the cursing and dooming you'll acquire quickly.
    "And light there be!"

Quote Originally Posted by anon123 View Post
    1. eat a blessed stomafillia and a couple of potions of (potential) toughness to bloat yourself.
    I always thought case of hunger value was severely overrated.

Assuming you are not encrusted in artifacts and don't have +6 DV corruption... Simply eating till bloating letting it to wear off to satiated for few turns and adding blessed stoma on top should do the job.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Wait, does that mean that the Extremely Thin and Nimble corruption increases your hunger rate? How cool.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    Wait, does that mean that the Extremely Thin and Nimble corruption increases your hunger rate? How cool.
    All corruptions have drawback, no?

I guess it is sort of bulimic one...
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    I always thought case of hunger value was severely overrated.

Assuming you are not encrusted in artifacts and don't have +6 DV corruption... Simply eating till bloating letting it to wear off to satiated for few turns and adding blessed stoma on top should do the job.
    Two blessed potions of potential toughness are roughly worth the same as a blessed stoma (I think three is closer), and since they can be drunk even when Bloated, you don't have to wait for that status to wear off.

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    It burns 1 extra nutrition point per turn. I was usually happy to get it, until I found satiation was suddenly not lasting much. +6 DV is still good, though.
    "And light there be!"

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    All corruptions have drawback, no?
    Depends if you count appearance or charisma loss as a drawback.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    Depends if you count appearance or charisma loss as a drawback.
    Most certainly. I always imagine that playing roguelike or RPG is sorta having HotChick due all the hard work for you, while ytou enjoy issuing orders and having beers. Now these poor gals must have some appearance and charisma to qualify as "Hot"

Must be reason I play female chars in ever game i get choice in.