Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Error

Default Error

Just got my first error message. I was rocking a dwarven necromancer and things were startin to look good, good stats, good skills. I set up a few stable herb square and I was walking through the big room when BAM! error blah blah blah. Anyone know what bug this might have been? and maybe how to avoid it next time? besides playing on server

Well, "blah blah blah" isn't much to go by.

There is one particular error I remember happening to me in the Big Room that isn't actually fatal. It's related to a monster trying to do something and running into an AI programming oversight ("GetTargetData" or something similar was a variable involved). It results in a crash once you move, but also in a savegame, and if you look closely, you'll realize the savegame is of one turn later. Once I left the Big Room after a whole lot of crash-reload-move-crash-reload-move, I was fine. In general, always check after a crash if the game managed to dump a save.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Hehe Silfir you're a genius, you see right through my ambiguous bug reports just checked and he's still there I think adom knew that it was like 4 in the morning and I had calculus class in da mornin' and was just trying to help me out HURRAH!

Uhh just really died for keeps. Though I started having some good luck with this guy, I found 2 RoJS before getting to the Animated Forest and found some 7LBs, saved khevvy and managed to find a couple extra SoCR so I was up to 8 of those, went and did pyramid and graveyard then saved the puppy since i was on that side of the chain, drank from a pool there, first drink of the game I got a wish. went down a flight of stairs drank some moore pool got another wish, identified sum stuff and had 3 PoGA's. cleared the CoC up to the wall of fire, decided I was gunna do ToEF then go for the high king... but I guess I was wrong.

The ACW was not having it, I threw a cursed pot of invis at him and unloaded 14 rounds of arrows of slaying got him to crit wounded, then had to dip 2 pots of invis into unholy water ended up throwing them at him and unloaded 9 sling rounds of demon slaying to no avail and tele'd away then I decided I was gunna cast darkness on him and beat him up old fashion style (didn't know why I didn't think of that) Now I realized why I probably should'nt have thought of that. I was doin' good at first got some good hits on him knocked his health down really fast. Then he knocked mine down faster, the end.

...Was going a little to good to be true...

I'll avenge Skeltrous the dwarven necromancer though...

Knocked yours down faster? Are we talking over a hundred per round? The ACW doing more damage than the water orb can heal is new to me. If there was no way even with the water orb, your HP must have been pretty low. I mean, one SoCR roughly equals six orb full heals (with gauntlets) and no amount of corruption is worse than being dead anyway.

Generally my priority would be to to everything else first, then the ToEF, not first ToEF, then the Tomb of the High Kings. Paranoia about ToEF preparation is ingrained in my very soul. I use the orb every time my health is down to like 150.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    The ACW doing more damage than the water orb can heal is new to me.
    I think that if he goes into a blind rage, it's very possible.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

I think it was the fatal mistake of getting to cocky, which is never a good idea in adom. I figured I was gunna waltz in there shoot him with 2 blessed arrows of slaying grab up the orb and be out. My last character was a HE archer, I must have forgot this guy wasn't

I ended up quaffing 7 blessed ultra healings, I totally spaced out the water orb power... I've read about it numerous times I just have never used it so it doesn't really come to my mind in the heat of the moment, I need to work on that

My character had like 248 hp, I just need to grow enough balls to know when to run away to fight another day haha

So what I learned is don't be shy with water orb (especially when I got 8 SoCR) and better safe then dead, ACW would still be there when I came back

The priority goes blessed extra healing, water orb, blessed ultra healing for me, approximately at least. You do want to drink blessed potions of extra healing and ultra healing since they are a) destructible, b) add max HP every time you do use them. At the same time, you probably don't want to drink all your blessed ultra healing before you start using the orb instead, since you won't always have the orb. If you're out of healing potions, the only heal left on D:50 is prayers.

Not sure why I'm even writing this here. You seem like you have grasped the situation and the errors you have made perfectly fine. It might have to do with the fact that pontificating about item usage in ADOM is one of the few escapes I have for my crushing, soul-draining loneliness.

I am joking. Partially! See that? I'm being enigmatic. And according to this thread, an enigmatic genius. Tremble!

This post should have ended at some point before it got silly. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    The priority goes blessed extra healing, water orb, blessed ultra healing for me, approximately at least. You do want to drink blessed potions of extra healing and ultra healing since they are a) destructible, b) add max HP every time you do use them. At the same time, you probably don't want to drink all your blessed ultra healing before you start using the orb instead, since you won't always have the orb. If you're out of healing potions, the only heal left on D:50 is prayers.

Not sure why I'm even writing this here. You seem like you have grasped the situation and the errors you have made perfectly fine. It might have to do with the fact that pontificating about item usage in ADOM is one of the few escapes I have for my crushing, soul-draining loneliness.

I am joking. Partially! See that? I'm being enigmatic. And according to this thread, an enigmatic genius. Tremble!

This post should have ended at some point before it got silly. Oh well.
    Go make another video, lazy enigmatic genius!

EDIT:
    Wow, did I invent a time machine?
    ===
    Today 12:03 AM #8 Silfir
    Ancient Member
    ===
    Today 08:46 AM #9 _Ln_
    Ancient Member

11 pm is before 12 am is before 1 am. 12 pm consequently is after 11 am and before 1 pm. English time is weird.