Thread: YASD 18 speed vs. claw bug

Default YASD 18 speed vs. claw bug

Apologizing up front for not having the flg, I got angry at my death and just held space through the death info.

Started off as a trollish bard with alert and heir 7lb (month of the falcon) with a decent set of skills, nothing too special but enough to make the character worth playing. Healing being one of those skills, I decided to take the herbalism quest, but there was a river on floor 1 of the druid dungeon, so i went through the SMC and UD instead. The small cave was my *best friend ever* this game and I got the blanket AND the rng gave me an eternium halberd, all at level 1. Features of note in the UD were a potion shop where I picked up some plain waters and carrot juices, and a neutral altar I didnt have enough gold to convert (and it was in a corner so I couldnt drag monsters over it). High mountain village shop offer me amazing prices (sell something for 35g, can buy it for 50g), and had an elven chain mail of health which i bought, and an uncursed glaive +6 pe +6 speed (pretty sure that's the jet black glaive, but I dont have the guidebook with me atm so I cant check) for about 40k, which I left there.
    The CoC on the other hand was incredibly mean to me. On D3 an exploding rune door trap tore apart my 7lb and girdle of carrying. Big room offered no herb squares or stable patterns. Nothing nice in the dwarftown shop and prices were a lot worse, "slay a hippogriff to prove your valor". So I decided to go with a different route for this game, the dwarftown shop had a boots of the slow shuffle, and I was already strained! and had plenty of food to keep myself bloated, as a level 8 troll I was a relative tank already, so I decided to drop my speed as low as possible to take advantage of the XP buff (and trust me, it is really noticeable when you're at 30ish speed).
    Hanging out in the upper CoC killing shit for massive XP, I come across a writhing mass of primal chaos that barely tickles me, I regen any damage I took from it, so I let it follow me a bit to halve my speed for even more XP, and then I come across a pair of claw bugs, and promptly die.

Moral of the story: no matter how good you think you are, you'll never gain intrinsic immunity to YASD's.

Quote Originally Posted by Aplier View Post
    an uncursed glaive +6 pe +6 speed (pretty sure that's the jet black glaive, but I dont have the guidebook with me atm so I cant check)
    Yes, that's Long Sting. It's the only weapon which gives an explicit bonus to Perception.

as a level 8 troll I was a relative tank already
    I know trolls level much slower than other races, but a tank at level 8? I think that's overconfidence.

Anyway, this stuff happens. Today I had a PC that was going exceptionally well. Then the chain of bad things starts - I forget to cook the ACW corpse to get a PoCC and it rots, giant slug melts my blessed rustproof orcish spear of devastation in the TotHK, I get the RotMC but mindlessly press 8 after opening a secret door and what was exactly behind it? A wild cat. At that point I felt it'd only get worse and just ragequit.
    Last edited by anon123; 03-04-2012 at 10:13 PM.
    "And light there be!"

Protip: You will die a lot less with speed >100 than with speed <100. Troll leveling is not that big of a deal--just resign yourself to the fact that you'll be doing the ToEF at level 15 and will be finishing the game at level 30.

Playing with monstrously low speeds for extended periods of time is the realm of challenge games.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    Playing with monstrously low speeds for extended periods of time is the realm of challenge games.
    Wasn't there a challenge game where you Adombot yourself greased boots, then wear them the whole game?
    "And light there be!"

A few years ago I did a molochman challenge where I adombotted my base speed to 10 instead of 100, with the goal of never letting my speed go above 50. I'm not sure about one with greased boots.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    A few years ago I did a molochman challenge where I adombotted my base speed to 10 instead of 100, with the goal of never letting my speed go above 50. I'm not sure about one with greased boots.
    How did it end?
    1 ULE, 1 UNE, 18 regular endings. Won with every race. Trying to win with every class. Never won with farmer, merchant, mindcrafter and thief.

I won.

10 chars.