Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Odd Tactics

with respect to mining, I just realized one detail in my playstyle that may be odd, or just common routine? As soon as I get pickaxe, I almost never open any door the normal way, just mine around them
    scroll of cure blindness ... Braille alphabet maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by DreadArchon View Post
    I guess that makes me odd, I spend hours and hours Smithing on most characters. It makes both the early game and the late game fairly tedious, but I have to make some pretty spectacular mistakes to lose a late-game character.
    I used not to farm herbs because it sounded boring, but in my last games I read and applied the basics, and the benefits were amazing. Smithing might be the next thing I try in this fashion, just to see what the fuss is about and make my own judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by Hox View Post
    with respect to mining, I just realized one detail in my playstyle that may be odd, or just common routine? As soon as I get pickaxe, I almost never open any door the normal way, just mine around them
    Me, I tend to get spellbooks of Knock early, but always forget to actually use the spell, at a time where trapped doors can actually kill you. >.<
    "And light there be!"

I wouldn't really call this a tactic, but something I've found myself doing a lot lately is liberal use of the 'n' command to name NPCs...

To begin with I always name the tiny girl after my first kill, but I think a lot of people probably do that...
    I pretty much always take my first kill in the outlaw village, so 95% of the time she ends up being named Outlaw, Bandit, Beggar, Cutpurse or the like. In my current game she's "Mugger, the tiny girl".

That's an old practice for me, but lately I find myself naming random NPCs with reckless abandon... Every dwarf who I've had to go around in dwarftown has ended up with a Snow White and the seven dwarves style name... I've got guardians named Pushy, Punchy, Jerky, Lazy, Nazi and Grouchy, regular dwarves named Drunky, Smelly, Schemey, Sleazy and Grateful, and dwarven children named Picky, Pokey, Grabby, Filthy, and Hateful.
    Every goodwife that crosses too close to me ends up with names like Goody Proctor, Goody Badwife, etc.

I've even taken to naming non-hostile monster NPCs that I come across in dungeons... Kobolds are named like american Indians (a shaman named Runs with Jackals, a chieftain named Stinks like Hell), I've taken to naming goblins like Indians, and hobgoblins like pakistanis (Hobgoblin named Babu Batt)

as I said, not really a tactic... just a stylistic choice...
    I feel weird...

i think it is a good idea to use monster naming as a way of making game notes.
    I imagine in the future I will see these names. 'Stash on D:8 stairs, the farmer',
    'black potion = booze, the outlaw leader', 'killed cats already, the goodwife',
    'still need pickpockets, the tiny girl', 'this doof picked my fp blanket, the dwarven
    child'.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Quote Originally Posted by Phoobnahr View Post
    To begin with I always name the tiny girl after my first kill, but I think a lot of people probably do that...
    I don't usually invoke the monster memory besides 'l'ooking at monsters and asking for [M]ore information, so the & command does the trick for this. I have never done an ultra ending nor learned Courage from the old barbarian, but ever since learning the significance of the first kill via spoilers, I diligently take note of it as soon as it's made. One day a PC will "get big" and I'll actually have use for that information

What I do use the 'n'aming command for is giving blink dogs obscene names before they summon help.

Another odd tactic I just remembered is that if I find a dark room and have the Light spell, every tile of it has to be lit. Even if we're on the ID and I'll never see that dungeon again.
    "And light there be!"

Full illumination is not odd, chances are you could miss a useful monster or item lurking on that one dark tile.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyreles View Post
    Now that is somthing I don't worry about on D50. I'll Acid Ball the hell outa that place and destroy every item near me. By then then arn't all that helpful anyway. I wouldn't have gone to D50 if I couldn't handle it with my current gear. I have found a wand of wishing on D50 tho... I used it for logs and a fletchery set if I recall correctly.
    With spellcasters on D50, I have something of a superstition about not picking anything up or even looking at the item piles. If I'm on D50, I better have all the stuff I need already, so now I'm just a blur of magic missiles and acid balls.

not that odd, but i save up all the SoProt and Def untill i get 7leauges and GoGS then i pimp them both up to around 8/8, and if i have enough i do up a cloak as well for an extra 24/24 dv/pv
    On my grey elf weaponsmith (fate rolled) i ended up using magic writing sets to make more of these to improve some moloch armours DV because i couldnt seem to improve it with smithing (although i got an eternium towershield up to +20 +8) he ended up being a beast
    All Races as Barbarians.

My character gets a last name based on the first kill, like Eggerbe (beggar), Uggermu (mugger), Rownbe (Brown Bear).

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrobotmoonzombie View Post
    not that odd, but i save up all the SoProt and Def untill i get 7leauges and GoGS then i pimp them both up to around 8/8, and if i have enough i do up a cloak as well for an extra 24/24 dv/pv
    On my grey elf weaponsmith (fate rolled) i ended up using magic writing sets to make more of these to improve some moloch armours DV because i couldnt seem to improve it with smithing (although i got an eternium towershield up to +20 +8) he ended up being a beast
    Best thing to do with moloch armors is melt them down for a hundred eternium ingots.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.