Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adom II guidebook

Post Skill costs for Humans and on skill costs in general . . .

Hopefully this is useful, and actually makes sense. If it is/does, feel free to stick it in one of your many reserved posts so that it's closer to the beginning of the topic.

Keep in mind, though, that nearly all of this was noted through casual observation--I didn't do any special tests or anything.

---

These are the skill costs for every combination using the Human race. A "*" signifies that the listed skill cost is likely not the base skill cost for the indicated race/profession combination because the skill level was too high--see the explanation below the chart.

Code:
    Skill               Bar Com Fgt Thf Tnk Wrr
    ---------------     --- --- --- --- --- ---
    Athletics             3   6   6   6   6   3
    Construction          8   8   8   8  *6   8
    Dodge                 4   8   4   8   8   4
    Find weakness         8   8   4   8   8   4
    Healing              10  10  10  10  10   5
    Imbue with power     10  10  10  10   5  10
    Literacy              6   6   6   6   3   3
    Open locks            6   6   6   3   3   6
    Sailing               4   2   4   4   4   4
    Survival             *5 *11   7   7   7   7
    Swimming              2   2   4   4   4   4
    Tactics               8   8   4   8   8   8
    Woodcraft             2   2   4   4   2   4

As you can see, different race/profession combinations have different skill costs.

The cost for another level in a skill will go up with every five levels in said skill, and additional costs will be incurred if the skill level is too much higher than the PC level (with the former, there is sometimes odd behavior--occasionally, hitting skill level 5 will not cause an increase in cost, but hitting skill level 6 will).

By how much a skill cost is increased by seems to be determined by the current skill cost (a cost of "2" might only increase to a cost of "3", while a cost of "6" might jump to a cost of "8"), and is possibly affected by which skill it is.
    Last edited by MITZE; 03-24-2012 at 05:32 PM. Reason: He corrected a typo.

I think you should definitely open a wiki for this. It's easy, it's free (in several websites), and it's much more powerful than forum posts to organize and edit this kind of information, at least if it is to be done collaboratively and not by a single person like the ADOM Guidebook.

OK I made a free wiki. I haven't added anything yet... But it exists, so feel free to join it, and add stuff as well

http://adom2.wikidot.com/

Thumbs up Awesome!

I'll see what I can contribute after I do something about this giant backlog of bugs I've been meaning to report.

I'm just hoping that working with wikis is as easy as I've heard--I don't want to spend a couple of hours trying to figure out what's what.

This is the first one I've worked on and it's pretty easy. If you got any questions or anything feel free to drop me a message
    Link to horribly incomplete/unstarted ADOM II wiki

http://adom2.wikidot.com/

I could really use a "Getting Started" guide. I'm not looking for spoilers, but more of a how-to for skills and such. I don't know anything about ADOM, but I have played nethack. So, I'm confused about how to do some things, like how to cook, haggle, appraise, garden, cut down trees for wood to craft things, etcetera. I've played a bunch of games in the last few days, and although it seems like there's a lot to appreciate in the game, I feel pretty lost. Most of the time I've died of starvation because, while I've killed tons of wolves and jackals, none of them drop corpses. And even if they did drop a ton of corpses, I wouldn't know how to cook them, or how food preservation works. I'd like to get involved, and contribute to the wiki, but I'm completely in the dark on how to survive the early-game perils.

Quote Originally Posted by idlewilder View Post
    I could really use a "Getting Started" guide. I'm not looking for spoilers, but more of a how-to for skills and such. I don't know anything about ADOM, but I have played nethack.
    Are you talking about ADOM or ADOM II? The former already has a Guidebook and a wiki, found at adomgb.info and ancardia.wikia.com, respectively.
    "And light there be!"

Definitely talking about ADOM II. I'm currently delving into the guidebook and wiki for ADOM (because I figure some stuff will be similar), but I'm really just looking for basics on how to play. For example, I would like a list of active skills and how to use them in game. I can't figure out how to cook, haggle, or pray. Maybe these skills just haven't been implemented in ADOM II, but I haven't come across anything in the forums, wiki, or project issues to indicate how one actually uses them in game.