Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gain Litteracy

Default Gain Litteracy

My current character is a beastfighter wich obviously isnt litterate from start. i've been asked to kill a dark elven priestess by the ancient dwarf to gain the sulphuric potion -_-.

So my question is : what is my best option to become litterate? I know black wizard and dark sage corpses can grant it but those monsters are as rare as the quest one. Does eating the black druid from druid dongeon works for litteracy? If not, should I just go on with the game ( at this point I still have to finish druid quest, dive UD, do pyramid and high king tomb) i dont really need the fireball wand from the second quest but i'd really need a mean of identify for my items...

Dark sage corpses are the only ones which grant (or decrease) the Literacy skill. Black wizards never leave corpses as far as I know. They aren't that rare, I see them a lot between I6 and I9.
    "And light there be!"

Unfortunately, yes, it is only dark sages that give literacy. The black druid, monsters like ogre magus, the archmage (AFAIK), great wyrms, etc. do not in fact grant this skill.

If you haven't already, you should still poke your head down to the level(s) below DT. A lot of people do find that the monster they're looking for tends to appear in these levels. If not, one will probably turn up sooner or later in high kings or something. You could hunt dark sages in the big room, although it could take awhile. Make sure food preservation is over 90 to maximize corpse drops.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

already searched below DT, dived a while in ID and no food preserv skill, but i'll just keep on with the game and maybe the rng will be kind enough to throw what I need at some point of the game.

Dark elven priestesses occasionally show up in the Big Room, don't they? Not the best place to meet one however, what with all the spiders.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Yeah, hang out in the Big Room for a bit and see if one gets generated there. It seems like summoners are particularly common there, it shouldn't take long. Dark elven priestesses are common enough that it's really pretty lucky to get assigned one.

Is dwarf's quest really so hard to complete or your beastfighter is in such need of Big Punch?

Quote Originally Posted by Spellweaver View Post
    Is dwarf's quest really so hard to complete or your beastfighter is in such need of Big Punch?
    He needs literacy. You get that from the first dwarf quest...
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Oh, sorry, I didn't get it about priestess. Well, pool-sipping can be an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Spellweaver View Post
    Oh, sorry, I didn't get it about priestess. Well, pool-sipping can be an option.
    You can't learn literacy from pool, unless, I guess, you wished for it.