Thread: I pray for mercy at the feet of the Random Number God

Default I pray for mercy at the feet of the Random Number God

YASD.jpg

There is life and there is death. Then there is a tension room of Greater Air Elementals on the floor beneath the Animated Forest. To this, I ask "why?" Why the needless death for a foolish wizard who tried her best with a book of acid ball, which itself had served so bravely against Nonnak and his fiends along with the Greater Daemon of Dwarftown?

Sucks.

Elementals don't see in darkness, or invisible - you could have used that to your advantage.
    Last edited by anon123; 04-29-2012 at 02:41 AM.
    "And light there be!"

You were in Dwarven Halls. It is an area (two levels deep) that is parallel to the Animated Forest, and has extremely dangerous monsters in it. Don't spend any more time there than necessary, especially if you lack invisibility and teleport control. Safer just to take the forest route and avoid DH entirely.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Now that I look at the stairs, I see that it wasn't the floor I thought it was. Then again, the corpse by the down stairs is a tree that followed me from my original pass through. I'm not sure how I managed to go through the forest only to come upstairs in that room on the left, see the monsters and run away back through the forest, and then come back game weeks later through the DH. In my defense, I had stayed up all night playing. xD

Trees leave logs, not corpses. They wouldn't make a good meal.
    "And light there be!"

To be fair, except in ADOM, neither do corpses.

Not that I've tried it or anything.

Look, forget I wrote anything, okay?
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

In fact, I found that corpses taste surprisingly good, a bit like chicken. The "uncomfortable" feeling that ADOM talks about also disappears after the first few corpses you've eaten.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Yes, ADOM and roguelikes in general, at least the ones I've played, do significantly abstract cannibalism. I doubt most people who don't play these games would react the same way as us (I remember my reaction the first time I ate a corpse in NetHack ). It doesn't help that, judging from their weight, the game automatically selects the best chunks of meat for you to eat
    "And light there be!"

> The "uncomfortable" feeling that ADOM talks about also disappears after the first few corpses you've eaten

I liked that

and regarding the original post and screenshot, I originally interpreted those E's as
    earth elementals, which would have been even funnier.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Trees leave logs, not corpses.
    I think that I said anything to the contrary after having played the game for some seven years just reiterates the fact that I shouldn't play the game til 5 am anymore.

I'm being more careful with my more recent chars, but I've been hard pressed to get so far in exp as that one for some reason whether because of bookcasting at an inopportune moment or whatever else my sleepless brain lets through.