Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun times report

Default Fun times report

My GE Wiz is only on level 13 right now, but she's been having all the luck her starting ring could give her. Almost right out of the box, she got a wish for 7LBs and intrinsic invisibility. For a while, I was just crawling the dungeons carefully when I found a two-handed sword of devastation with (+8, 7d5+12) [-1], a spellbook of wish, and later a lawful scimitar of devastation 5d8+8 so that I could go back to wielding a shield for that much needed PV boost. I am now on a great search for some potions of visibility so I can get backstabbing.

Since I haven't won or lost yet, I wasn't sure that this would fit anywhere but in general discussion. That said, let it be know that I love ADOM in general.

Despite my intrinsic invisibility, I'm trying to read the book of Wish right now. I went super bloated with a blessed stoma as well as three blessed scrolls of satiation on top of that. Maybe I should go get some lunch in the meantime.

FYI, Death Ray works on yourself; that's odd.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
    My GE Wiz is only on level 13 right now, but she's been having all the luck her starting ring could give her. Almost right out of the box, she got a wish for 7LBs and intrinsic invisibility. For a while, I was just crawling the dungeons carefully when I found a two-handed sword of devastation with (+8, 7d5+12) [-1], a spellbook of wish, and later a lawful scimitar of devastation 5d8+8 so that I could go back to wielding a shield for that much needed PV boost. I am now on a great search for some potions of visibility so I can get backstabbing.
    Where did you find the book? I have never got one as a random drop. Only as starting gear (very rare) and in the library.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
    Despite my intrinsic invisibility, I'm trying to read the book of Wish right now. I went super bloated with a blessed stoma as well as three blessed scrolls of satiation on top of that. Maybe I should go get some lunch in the meantime.
    Intrinsic +Invi doesn't affect food consumption rate. That only happens when it's granted by items. Three scrolls is overkill though; you won't be able to eat anything (including good corpses and herbs) for a while

FYI, Death Ray works on yourself; that's odd.
    Indeed. A player without -Deth who fumbles when choosing the ray's direction could have a very nasty surprise.
    "And light there be!"

I found it on a monster on l3 of the Infinite Dungeon on my way to the lower levels. I see that you're right about the satiation matter; I've been in a constantly-bloated state for a few hours now.
    I had one grumpy issue when Dosbox spazzed out and killed itself, leaving me to use an old backup I had just for such occasions. It was only a half hour old or so, but it was before I found an eternium plate mail on DH1 and before I had stopped by the pyramid or water temple. Back to the game!

I must make an addendum to my previous post - I've also found a couple of Wish books in shops. They still average 1 book/year of playing, though. But since you have one, if you can't find an AoLS for Kelly, you can use that strategy Soirana suggested not so long ago: bookcasting Wish in silver/darknight once you can take the HP and PP cost.

I'm curious to know why you're playing in DOSBox. There's a native, faster Windows port, and ADOM Sage, which adds nice perks to the game, like colored messages and pressing < > to move the cursor to the stairs when teleporting. Sadly, neither are immune to crashes, so keep on making backups if you switch versions. Savegames are compatible.
    Last edited by anon123; 05-09-2012 at 01:08 PM.
    "And light there be!"

Dosbox has a clear advantage over winbeta or ADOM Sage in that it allows fullscreen play on Vista and 7 without additional fiddling.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Thanks for the answer. I never considered fullscreen could be the reason. I'm too used to my winbeta window, I guess.
    "And light there be!"

Quote Originally Posted by anon123 View Post
    I must make an addendum to my previous post - I've also found a couple of Wish books in shops. They still average 1 book/year of playing, though. But since you have one, if you can't find an AoLS for Kelly, you can use that strategy Soirana suggested not so long ago: bookcasting Wish in silver/darknight once you can take the HP and PP cost.
    If only i could found idiot who started spreading rumor about darknight having any use for wish casting... since it is probably most popular misconcept about Adom. Well, after wizards berserking stuff in mellee anyway.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    If only i could found idiot who started spreading rumor about darknight having any use for wish casting... since it is probably most popular misconcept about Adom.
    You mean it's not true? Even the wiki says silvernight and darknight halve the PP cost of (book)casting Wish. I never tried it on an actual game, though.
    "And light there be!"

Quote Originally Posted by anon123 View Post
    You mean it's not true? Even the wiki says silvernight and darknight halve the PP cost of (book)casting Wish. I never tried it on an actual game, though.
    I thought i've changed wiki few times to be in order but perharps some idiot keeps changing it back.

From what i recall darknight does not work for wish specifically. On old forums [hall of fame ones] were was athread about steady grindy guy who spent ~0,5 year building archmage just to found out his crowning allignment does not mesh with calendar discounts.
    He had some words of choice about us and "theorethical knowledge" before grinding for another half year.

That was on ADOM 1.0.0 although so not sure if that was changed in 1.1.1. But keep in mind any and each archmage on hall of fame or any other place I saw on internet is of lawful allignment. As far as i know that is the reason why. Only lawfuls get discount on wish casting.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)