Page 46 of 64 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone care to help a newb?

Sorry I didnt mean it as in actually use a sword. I meant it as in the term 'Sword and Shield' as opposed to Dual wielding.

As for what weapon specifically, I just say use the best weapon you have at the time, whatever type of weapon it is.
    Life is measured not by the breaths that you take, but by the moments which take your breath away

Last killed by: Killer fish. Forgot about ice bridge weight limit >_<

Unfortunately, my DE Ranger died as well. Killed by Cavemen!

I think I should probably point out at this point that for every character I tell you guys about there are about 10 that I do not. >_>
    (Cause they died too soon to have a good chance)

Drakeling farmer was surprisingly good. Dual Wielded Shields and was in Coward mode whole time. Found Absurd Amounts of Food! But....
    Got caught in Between an Ankheng and fell into a Pit Viper Trap. Could not hurt the Ankheng with Acid so I was running and fell in. Was weird though cause the Pit trap was in a place I already walked earlier and had no warning of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Lasher View Post
    Was weird though cause the Pit trap was in a place I already walked earlier and had no warning of it?
    There's a very low chance of walking on an undiscovered trap and not triggering nor finding it at all. The same works in reverse - there's also a very low chance of walking over a known trap and triggering it nonetheless.
    "And light there be!"

Hurthling beastfighter. Get crowned L+ as soon as you can by offering cooked corpses. Fight with fists and thrown rocks, of course.

edit: candle birthsign is best (as it nearly always is)
    Last edited by grobblewobble; 07-08-2012 at 10:51 PM.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Shame about the drakeling farmer, but I'm glad it worked out well for a while Gnome elementalist would be my next recommendation, with Cup starsign and take the Good Learner talent (but not Great Learner).

I'm suggesting things based on how fund they are to play by the way, not out of any sense of "perfect combo" you can have an ultimate skillset and still die before you hit level 5.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Still working the Drakeling Elementalist! I'm trying to play these guys safe, I really am. But no joke, the majority of my characters (Like 9 out of 10) die before level 10. So you guys are seeing my typical results.

I've the Drakeling in the ID. But am Not Finding Spellbooks. Or gear really. I lost my weapon and armor and was hoping to find some more.

And I'm ALL ABOUT what is most fun. I don't know if you know this, but I love giving creeps the acid bath! Usually I save it for just the really annoying guys though.

EDIT: Drakeling Elementalist got killed by an Ogre Magus. Frozen to death. :/
    Last edited by Lasher; 07-09-2012 at 01:03 AM.

Elementalists don't find spellbooks as often as the other spell-casting classes. They're also not as good at learning them, I believe.
    You don't even need to tell us that 9 out of 10 characters die before doing anything meaningful. I am the same way, and I assume that only very few people are any different.
    Last edited by Roarke; 07-09-2012 at 02:05 AM.
    Normal Victories- Human Weaponsmith, Necromancer, Barbarian, Assassin
    Creator's Day Win - Gnome Fighter

the ever reviled ogre magi!

anyway, have you tried a high elf archer yet? they are superb.

In fact, skip candle starsign and go for raven, that way you can use your
    talents for missiles (good shot, keen shot), but you will still need 'quick'
    for quick shot, which is mighty.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

I did try one way back and wrote about it here. She was Severa! I've tried one or two since then but no luck!

Man though, I really wish my High Elf Weaponsmith worked out. He just had terrible luck! Made it to the D, and got past the big room, but right away the only way through was through a room full of Rust Monsters! I managed to kill most of them by using the few spells of Magic Missile I had and resting in between, but then a Dark Elf Came in and poisoned me to death!

Had such a good feeling about that guy too!

EDIT:

SO! I made a Gnome like Grey said! I stepped out of town and first step I take get ambushed by outlaws! I got 3 or 4 to line up, cast one spell of frost bolt, and went from level 1 to level 4 just like that!

Then I hit level 5 before I finished them off! So, I go back in town to give a dead bandit to the Sherriff, and step out of town. He follows me! First thing that happens this time is the Kranach attacks us!

And guess what the sherriff did?

That's right! Nothing!

So useless! Grrr.. But I somehow killed them all off and hit level 7 in the process, then turned in the quest to the Sherriff who was chilling out watching the whole thing, and then I left him in the wilderness! I hope he gets lost!
    Last edited by Lasher; 07-09-2012 at 02:59 AM.

Hah, that's quite amusing... But yeah, the good thing about a gnome elementalist is the supremely fast levelling. Don't be afraid to use two shields and just blast through everything for a good part of the game. And get a crossbow and quarrels at some point if you can - gnomes level up in those fairly quick.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!