Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: On the JADE video

Quote Originally Posted by chalup View Post
    Everything looks fine to me except for the city. It's just a bunch of isolated rooms that doesn't make any sense.

I'd like to see some major streets, minor streets, district of nobles with big houses, city marketplace, etc. Some parts of the town could have quite regular street grid, and the others (for example paupers' quarter) could look just like the city on the latest movie. The small village should be stretched along the roads that crosses it, etc.

I'm not the urban developement expert, but the cities are not bunch of totally random buildings - their current shape is the effect of city "evolution". The realistic generation of towns is probably something that won't be implemented in the first versions of JADE, but adding it in the future would greatly improve the playability and flavor of the game.
    chalup, this was what stood out to me, as well. In cities and in the world. The world's geography seemed very smoothly generated... I'm not surprised that it's a difficult thing to generate things properly, but ideally geography should keep its holistic identity while having a good amount of reasonable, realistic detail like what you just described here.

Edit to provide some more detail:
    Right now, ADoM's towns/cities are basically the same as villages (groups of huts) in Oblivion--just a collection of simple enclosures, perhaps with some sort of layout that has to do with a road. With the current structure, where houses are just a few squares of space with no unique features, it's not possible the sort of depth you see in large-scale RPGs in which each house/building is its own environment and you might have multiple floors or a basement. I'd like to recommend that additional detail/features, plus perhaps making houses bigger, be implemented, because real cities would open up a lot of opportunity for exploration and gameplay. I'm not saying they would have to be anywhere near as detailed as in a commercial RPG like Oblivion (which is, in fact, probably very difficult when I consider that worlds will be randomly generated) but it would be nice if settlements possessed interesting features that made them worth exploring for more than just finding shopkeepers and NPCs with quests.

Anyway, awesome video.
    Last edited by MattW; 03-24-2008 at 10:50 PM.

This is incredible! Thank you TB! With the sheer size of everything, and the added options, JADE is likely to be a blast and a half!
    Top Score in ADOM: 10.1M- Normal victory (Male Dwarven Paladin)

King of All Dwarves.

Quote Originally Posted by deepshock View Post
    This is incredible! Thank you TB! With the sheer size of everything, and the added options, JADE is likely to be a blast and a half!
    I personally am extremely excited and I don't think I'm the only one. Although, they say excitement is a messenger of battle.

Some things i noticed:

PC started with cursed gear??? or did the trapped door do that?

All the dungeons had the same inhabitents on the first level. I would like to stumble upon a cave in the middle of the wilderness with nothing around to see it being something quite scary for a low level character to just go exploring, like a family of trolls living in it or an ogre tribe....or a dragons den! All dungeons were "a forbiding entrance" or something along those lines. the up stairs were > and not <
    when leaving dungeons you're informed "You enter the Ancardia" that was kinda funny actually lol...and I never knew a world to wrap if you go from north to south only east to west.

also about "all the houses were empty" the PC was only in viewing range of one building and there were two inhabitents inside, a blue and green @ who knows what was inside alllllll those other buildings. I was expected something that was maybe a couple screens big when he entered the city then he zoomed out and revealed it my jaw dropped lol it was huuuuuuuuuuge!.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    chalup, this was what stood out to me, as well. In cities and in the world. The world's geography seemed very smoothly generated... I'm not surprised that it's a difficult thing to generate things properly, but ideally geography should keep its holistic identity while having a good amount of reasonable, realistic detail like what you just described here.

Edit to provide some more detail:
    Right now, ADoM's towns/cities are basically the same as villages (groups of huts) in Oblivion--just a collection of simple enclosures, perhaps with some sort of layout that has to do with a road. With the current structure, where houses are just a few squares of space with no unique features, it's not possible the sort of depth you see in large-scale RPGs in which each house/building is its own environment and you might have multiple floors or a basement. I'd like to recommend that additional detail/features, plus perhaps making houses bigger, be implemented, because real cities would open up a lot of opportunity for exploration and gameplay. I'm not saying they would have to be anywhere near as detailed as in a commercial RPG like Oblivion (which is, in fact, probably very difficult when I consider that worlds will be randomly generated) but it would be nice if settlements possessed interesting features that made them worth exploring for more than just finding shopkeepers and NPCs with quests.

Anyway, awesome video.
    bah why does everyone compare "good" rpgs to oblivion? it really wasnt that good, the skill system is easily abused, the magic system is waaaaay to simple for my likings, EVERY fire spell looks exactly the same, thats kinda lame. The Voice acting is pretty generic andthe story just bored me, i never even completed to main quest i just did the mage guild ones and whatever side ones i could find. Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines was damn good! Some people didnt like it because you could only control one char and it "strayed" from the PnP rules but i say so what, the detail in it is amazing, the voice acting is great the quests are varied to a great degree, from go kill this person, to go set up hidden cameras here here and here, to find information from someone and its up to you how to do it, bribery persuasion or force. The combat is quite fun actually I just love bloodlines so much. And its fun to be evil...very fun

and the stories and quests always had me going, "Whoa!" if anyones played it the ghost hotel actually had me feeling for the lady ghost when i found out what heppened to her.

It'd be annoying to allow insta-kills, but perhaps they can be avoided in a similar way to the minatour mazes and the bug temples. The ideas do sound quite interesting. Here's a thought:

You stumble upon a congregation of dragons. Quickly the staircase below you is sealed. Several dragons loudly roar and hiss at you. One dragon approaches and says 'If you want to live, you shall return to me with the anti-dragon sceptre. Dragons cannot touch it. Do you agree?' <y/n> y

The staircase below you is reopened. 'Good, now if you have not returned with it within thirty days we shall hunt you down. Is that understood? You are free to go.'

Quote Originally Posted by Sradac View Post
    also about "all the houses were empty" the PC was only in viewing range of one building and there were two inhabitents inside, a blue and green @ who knows what was inside alllllll those other buildings. I was expected something that was maybe a couple screens big when he entered the city then he zoomed out and revealed it my jaw dropped lol it was huuuuuuuuuuge!.
    Yep, it seems that the huge number of NPCs is what slowed down the program so significantly! I wonder what can be done about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sradac View Post
    bah why does everyone compare "good" rpgs to oblivion? it really wasnt that good, the skill system is easily abused, the magic system is waaaaay to simple for my likings, EVERY fire spell looks exactly the same, thats kinda lame. The Voice acting is pretty generic andthe story just bored me, i never even completed to main quest i just did the mage guild ones and whatever side ones i could find.[...]
    I feel so too. But that goes for any graphical three-dimensional commercial roguelike game.
    Of course it's unfair - that's the whole point.

The Adom wiki: everything you don't want to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Dougy View Post
    Well... it appears as if "wraps around" like a torus or a doughnut shape, rather than a sphere. For example, on earth, antarctica is not connected to the arctic.
    The easiest way to make a somewhat sphere-like planet would probably be forming a cube from 6 square areas:
    Code:
           --------
           |north |
           | pole |
           |      |
    -----------------------------
    |sector|sector|sector|sector|
    | 1    | 2    | 3    | 4    |
    |      |      |      |      |
    -----------------------------
           |south |
           | pole |
           |      |
           --------
    A message like "You enter sector 4 of Ancardia" would be shown when the PC walks off the edge of an area... Alternatively, Ancardia could be shaped like a doughnut. :P

EDIT:There isn't that flashing thingy under the PC. If there are many other white @'s around the PC it can be hard to tell which one is the player.

And the YASD popup comes too quickly IMO. It's not nice if the game tells you're dead before I notice the reason. I want to slowly realise, :) that my best character that I have played for weeks, has died, like this:

The orc swings his cursed poisonus crude battle axe of doom at you, killing you!(more)
    You die...(more)
    Last edited by Laukku; 03-25-2008 at 01:55 PM.
    You hit Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, and severely wound him.
    The greater balor summons some help!
    The ratling duelist disarms you. You drop your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12]. It flies to the west.
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, picks up the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, wields the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].