Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: On the JADE video

Video looks great, good job Thomas keep it up - the world and "creating a character" looks very nice...I'm hoping the game was smooth even player, are in late-game

Jumping on the "neat video, thanks" bandwagon. I don't think anyone mentioned the inventory popping up in a separate window, but that's a great feature. Cool beans! When can we test it?
    Bowen, Knight of the Old Code

Quote Originally Posted by BowenTheKotoc View Post
    Jumping on the "neat video, thanks" bandwagon. I don't think anyone mentioned the inventory popping up in a separate window, but that's a great feature. Cool beans! When can we test it?
    2d12 + 6 weeks after the question is no longer asked

well the more people that ask, the more time he has to make a better initial release version
    I haven't yet finished an ADOM game, but i haven't given up on trying yet either.

got a good point there...i dont know what i'd rather have a longer wait for super duper extra sweet content, or a shorter wait to just get in a get the jist of it. I highly doubt I will "beat" JADE if its even possible with the first releases in the time between releases so I dunno

Video looks very good, and I really like it. Only thing that scares me a bit are those huge towns(not that I have anything against big towns - I really like that idea, but there is a border beyond which it isn't fun anymore, and it starts to be pain in the...) - they could be a bit smaller IMO. Also, I saw on that video two NPC's in town - too bad that you didn't decided to show something more about them(maybe in JADE video part 2?).

Anyway, great work! I can't wait when JADE will be out.

Just saw the video, and it fills me with nothing short of glee. I love how big everything is - it took well over a year just to walk around the continent. The best thing in my eyes is that this is still early days - this game is going to be amazing when TB gets to do everything he wants to it.

1. On video start, we get a glimpse of JADE at IntelliJ which gives us some insight on the structure of the program, it seems to be a flexible take on Actions and Brains, clearly seeking to fulfill his notes about similarities between player and monsters as well as a structured action model.

2. From what I can get on the video, JADE is currently looking like ADOM++ running on Java, with a bigger randomly generated overworld, and levels pretty similar to what Adom stablished as standard for ADOMLikes (some dead like Legend of Saladir and Avanor)

3. The world generator gives pretty impressive results, people tends to forget producing a generator like this is never easy.

4. The UI looks flexible and the display choices are interesting.

5. I love the world generator

6. I am wondering about memory consumption, as a Java programmer :P

7. We must have in mind this is just 0.0.7

8. The town is toooo big, I agree... but I recall him saying sometime it would be like a lot of dungeon levels put in one alone?

9. Some music would have been nice :P

10. I am happy the JADE engine has reached such maturity level, which puts him apart from the talkie talkie and genroguelikes category! what we have here is basically ADOM, but (I guess) better written and without the spiky bites of code that compose a roguelike through the years, which is a feat on itself. I hope he can start implementing the unique features to make it for an interesting gameplay experience

Originally posted at http://www.roguetemple.com/forums/index.php?topic=163.0

By the way, the date on the video was something like 6937AC - AC, eh? "After Chaos", I wonder?

Ok.. Now it's time to comment on the city...

If you follow some of the creator's other posts, he makes references to citys/towns/villages....

I believe on the video he just went to perhaps one of the larger/largest cities to show off some of what is made....

I would believe that it would be an easy enough algorithm to have smaller villages/towns and am relatively certain (without knowing) that Mr. Biskup already has a variety of city densities in the game.. For one, on the video the city was huge, but I think a few of them in a game may be kind of interesting.

Keep up the Good Work!