Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: On the JADE video

Quote Originally Posted by Dougy View Post
    I wonder if it's necessary to have everyone moving constantly in the city. Perhaps only the people within the line-of-sight of the PC should need to move. It appears quite slow on the video so this way might possibly speed up gameplay. But, this may all be later issues.
    I recall Tomas stating that he won't worry about JADEs performance on older computers, as by the time it's complete it'll most likely run perfectly on the computers that are around then.

I guess it depends on how close he is to releasing JADE. It's probably not too important an issue since (I guess) there will only be a few places as densely populated as the "human city." But, who knows, there might be bigger ones...

Default Stats Bonuses

Stat bonus is something like this.

[10] +0
    [11] +0
    [12] +1
    [13] +1
    [14] +2
    [15] +2
    [16] +3
    [17] +3
    [18] +4
    [19] +4
    [20] +5

This actually is talking about skill bonuses. For instance, assuming you made a walk silently check in Dungeons and Dragons. You rolled a 15 and your attribute was 16. You would get a bonus of +3, making your total roll 18 to see if you made it. I am assuming this is the case for Jade.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougy View Post
    I guess it depends on how close he is to releasing JADE. It's probably not too important an issue since (I guess) there will only be a few places as densely populated as the "human city." But, who knows, there might be bigger ones...
    One thing to look forward to is a goblin city...

Yeah, well, I'd love it if all the orcs wouldn't attack everyone, including orcs, on sight. Sure, in ADOM ChAoS can drive everyone to try and kill you on sight but in JADE I'd find it nice to be able to visit different races' villages. (They should be different of course. Some cities might be in caves. Others might be concealed... whatever.)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Ah, shoulda known it'd be something so similar.

I must say, the mention of an early release for JADE is actually kind of worrying. Whilst I will be ecstatic when I finally get my hands on it, I would probably prefer if more work was done laying down the building blocks before it was released to the public. Otherwise there's going to be a lot of repetitive minor bug reports and fantastical suggestions of gameplay additions that could get in the way of further development. With how long we've been waiting already I think I can wait a bit longer to be sure of a better JADE release...
    I think you're the only person worrying JADE will be pushed out too early. We've been waiting years at this point.

A bit mad of me yes, especially since it seems work on it has ground to a halt again. However I wouldn't want TB getting bogged down with minor details involved in creating a releasable version when at this stage of design it's best to concentrate more on the general architecture of the program and over-arching features. In the long-run (and it will be a long run either way) we will have a better JADE if we let him do his own things before a playable version is released.

Early release = we can help more with bug reporting and things like that. I will not mind playing an extremely buggy and inbalanced game, I've done it many times before.