Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Assisted Suicide - Greater Undead Vault Style

An archer with the level 50 class power can clear a GUV very effectively. I remember killing several liches of different kinds with a single undead slaying arrow.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Guys, what if I had a wizard (and not one like Blasphemous' archmage) with -Deth, high Wi and Luck, and Magic Missile at something like +30? Would it be possible to spam MM in Coward tactics until everyone's down? Or do they really require super-duper preparation?

The only time I found a greater undead vault so far, my Willpower was being trained back from 1 point after a bug-eating marathon, so I didn't even bother considering what the GB says about them.
    "And light there be!"

The problem with MM is pretty much the same for most spellcasting bosses - if you try to do it at long range, there's a good chance they'll step out of the way and heal half of the damage. Plus, they're summoning all the time, so unless you're invisible, that might become a problem if you need to move around, to chase them and whatnot.

Also, you need confusion resistance. Preferably a lot of it.

Other than that, I don't know how much preparation you need.

Now I can say for sure, mindcrafters are really good at sniping summoners. Also, confusion resistance helps.

Definitely possible to clear a GUV (even 2) with an invisible wizard with high wisdom, high effectivity MM and a nice weapon to take out the summons. Useful to have undead slaying arrows for mop up when you are down to your last few (dozen) liches.

Very tedious though and I ran out of MM charges towards the end. Probably won't bother again unless there's something really good in there.

In the particular GUV design that this PC died in, the best way to clear it is high Wi ball spells. You don't need to open the vault at all--just stand around the edges and spam fireballs until all of the liches are dead. I've cleared a vault like this using a merchant + alchemy before. Really helps to have a Wi > 64 though, but usually by this point the PC should have a couple of potions of boost willpower available.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

I prefer another method: I get inside the artifact room and spam balls there - all the liches are there and once they're cleared, the rest of the outside undead can be taken out using a method less destructive to the items dropping around.
    Also, depending on what other items you are interested in, certain balls will destroy certain items. Ice ball is slightly less effective against undead (especially liches immune to it) but still viable and will only destroy potions while fire and acid take out most everything. Lightning balls are somewhere in between.
    Still, at the point where a PC is capable of clearing a GUV, few normal items are needed since wishes were most likely encountered and only artifacts are of interest. In that case high eff fire balls with high Wi work best indeed.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

I cleared a greater undead vault with a mindcrafter. Invisibility goes a long way. How on earth were your stats so low though?

When clearing a GUV, I use wands of door creation to block LOS, create choke points, etc. Then I will use melee and range as appropriate to kill things, using slaying missiles on the summoners. It's possible to do, even as a normal lifespan race.

It is, however, a massive pain.

--
    as for dragon vaults - use corridors and turns to kill dragons in locations where no other dragon will breathe to hit you:

Code:
    #######
    DDDDD_#
    #####@#
    #####_#
    Kill the dragons coming round the corner, and when you get a chance, move onto that spot with auto-pickup on. (especially with 7lbs)
    Then you have the best chance of picking up good loot before it gets fried. If you find something nice, retreat and stash it.