Thread: Is it (or will it be) possible to play an archer?

Default Is it (or will it be) possible to play an archer?

I'd love to play a ranged class, but since we don't have an "Archer" class right now (is it coming in future?) I'm wondering if anyone has played a ranged weapon character. Now that I think of it, I'm not even sure I've actually seen a bow ever. Is it possible to fletch arrows? Do we have to have a "fletchery set" like in ADOM?

Am I just asking questions too soon, and should I just wait for v0.3.0?

Thomas is currently finishing up archers so you will need to wait for 0.3.0. You can see his progress on the blog in regards to archers.

Wow! I just played a few minutes of an archer in ADOM, and my goodness it was awesome. I felt a little claustrophobic playing in that little window, after playing ADOM II, but my goodness that was exciting. Leveling is way faster! And combat seemed to be easier too.

I had several hundred gold within a few levels of the first dungeon, and then I found a bunch of pixies. They dropped more than 1000 gold pieces, so I felt super rich when I died.

There are some workarounds to play ADOM fullscreen. I prefer using the dosversion + dosbox (in windows) most.
    Treasure Hunter is an absolutely immoral talent and people who take it are slaves of their lust for loot. A real character doesn't rely on worldly goodies to save the world but will do so by trusting his inner strength.

Quote Originally Posted by idlewilder View Post
    I'd love to play a ranged class, but since we don't have an "Archer" class right now (is it coming in future?) I'm wondering if anyone has played a ranged weapon character. Now that I think of it, I'm not even sure I've actually seen a bow ever. Is it possible to fletch arrows? Do we have to have a "fletchery set" like in ADOM?

Am I just asking questions too soon, and should I just wait for v0.3.0?
    Yeah, I also noticed none of the character types started out with any fletching points, but that might be intentional.

Quote Originally Posted by Deg View Post
    Thomas is currently finishing up archers so you will need to wait for 0.3.0. You can see his progress on the blog in regards to archers.
    Ahhh, that explains a lot, I was having a panic attack. lol

Quote Originally Posted by idlewilder View Post
    Wow! I just played a few minutes of an archer in ADOM, and my goodness it was awesome. I felt a little claustrophobic playing in that little window, after playing ADOM II, but my goodness that was exciting. Leveling is way faster! And combat seemed to be easier too.

I had several hundred gold within a few levels of the first dungeon, and then I found a bunch of pixies. They dropped more than 1000 gold pieces, so I felt super rich when I died.
    Yeah, grey elven archers in ADOM ftw. Bust into dungeons and shoot up the place while dual wielding shields.