Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TB will release the source for... $1.8million!

Default TB will release the source for... $1.8million!

Sorry, couldn't help but post about it here. If anyone has a spare $1.8m then this might be the time to make a wise investment
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

$1.8 million? He definitely lives in a different planet.
    1 ULE, 1 UNE, 18 regular endings. Won with every race. Trying to win with every class. Never won with farmer, merchant, mindcrafter and thief.

He's not formally said $1.8m, but has indicated that it would be in that region. Will find out on July 2nd I guess...
    Platinum Edition ADOMer

With this upcoming crowd-funding campaign and the $1.8 million source, it's safe to say that the source is never going to be released ever. Obviously disappointing, but it's totally Biskup's right.

i will only do more pictures for the 'dwarf merchant paint picture' thread if you
    all agree to pay me... 1 billion dollars
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Quote Originally Posted by stabwound View Post
    With this upcoming crowd-funding campaign and the $1.8 million source, it's safe to say that the source is never going to be released ever. Obviously disappointing, but it's totally Biskup's right.
    I wouldn't be so sure of that. If he doesn't manage to make the base $60K, he will not release the source. If he does manage to make $60K, he will continue development, more people will play, he will get more enthusiastic about it, and then who knows, we might see the source one day.

I do hope he makes the $60K - I'd love to see ADOM development active again, source or no source.

Edit: the base goal is now $48K instead of $60K, according to the last blog post.
    Last edited by Al-Khwarizmi; 06-30-2012 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi View Post
    I do hope he makes the $60K - I'd love to see ADOM development active again, source or no source.
    Absolutely 100-percent agreed. I personally don't care about source code availability as much as I do about seeing a new version after so many years. Even a "simple" bugfix release (and let's hope it gets farther than that) would be amazing.
    "And light there be!"

Ok let's face it... How many people are playing ADOM this days? And how many are willing to pay a hundred bucks to have bugfixes and a few extra features? The response is easy: the core fans. Now check another game that has a similar fanbase, with free donations: ToME4. The current home webpage states the following: "Thanks to generous players, ToME has collected 1685.12€ of donations in the last three months." And I'm pretty sure the ToME4 fanbase is bigger than ADOM's fanbase this days. How long will it take to reach $48k with ADOM donations? I'd say years...

Now that I've read the comments on the main site, I'm pretty sure all this will piss off many of the old fans. Basically: "Pay and you'll get ADOM 1.2, don't pay then go .... yourself". This has made me very sad... I've been playing ADOM since 1996, that's over 15 years. I've enjoyed every version, from the early days with no wilderness to the tough 0.9.9 gammas, the extensively playtested 1.0.0 and even 1.1.1 with the self berferking sillyness and uberjackals. All because it was fun...

I'd love to see ADOM development resume in the near future. But ADOM-the postcardware game and ADOM-the deluxe edition should stay two separate entities...
    You feel excited. You die.

Well, I'm personally happy to donate towards a game I've spent far more time on than all commercial games combined. I'm not sure how successful the campaign will be, but I'm willing to chip in with the hope of success. And if it fails... well, we still have ADOM 1.1.1 to enjoy
    Platinum Edition ADOMer

Quote Originally Posted by Dervi View Post
    Now check another game that has a similar fanbase, with free donations: ToME4. The current home webpage states the following: "Thanks to generous players, ToME has collected 1685.12€ of donations in the last three months." And I'm pretty sure the ToME4 fanbase is bigger than ADOM's fanbase this days. How long will it take to reach $48k with ADOM donations? I'd say years...
    It's not the same thing, because crowdfunding campaigns encourage donors. ADOM also has donations, and I haven't donated anything for ADOM in the last three months, but I will surely donate for this campaign. Some people will probably never have donated in ten years and will do so for the campaign.

With this I'm not saying that the crowdfunding is going to succeed. To tell the truth, I don't have the faintest idea about that. I'm just saying that the donation amounts for ToME don't tell us much.