Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New corruption ideas

Lightbulb New corruption ideas

So TB is doing a power pledge drive, with every $300 he raises on the IndieGoGo ADOM campaign between now and the end of Friday 13th making him code an extra corruption. So in anticipation of potentially lots of new corruptions to add to the game I figure we should suggest new corruptions! Note that the number of corruptions to get to purple j stage isn't changing, but it'll mean you'll never get the full set of corruptions in the game.

Some ideas of mine:

"Your legs have stretched into long, fragile stilts"
    Movement costs 750 energy, -4 PV, -4 kicking damage

"You are wreathed in chaotic flames"
    Receive 1d3 fire damage every 2d6 turns, adds 1d6 fire damage to melee attacks, burning hands does +30% damage and items you interact with may be burnt (especially scrolls/books)

"You become out of synch with the flow of Mana"
    PP regen halved, -6 Ma, 50% chance to avoid any spell effect (good and bad)

"Your blood turns to acid"
    Enemies injuring you in melee receive acid damage and have a chance to be blinded, HP regen halved

"Sparks fly from your mouth"
    -4 Ch, adds 2d4 shock damage to melee attacks, iron rations become inedible

"You are possessed by dark and violent thoughts"
    -4 Wi, +5 St, every 100-500 turns you lose control of the character for 5 turns (char will blindly melee on berserk)
    Last edited by Grey; 07-10-2012 at 07:54 PM.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

"Your blood turns to acid"
    Enemies injuring you in melee receive acid damage, HP regen halved
    This corruption is nice but too much painful. Every corruption in the game is painful but gives some plus instead. This plus is nothing to the minus. I would call it "enemy receives 1d8 acid damage, -(6 to 10) To". This would be niecer IMHO

Changed the suggestion to give the chance of enemies being blinded when splashed by acid too For many the half regen isn't that bad.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Changed the suggestion to give the chance of enemies being blinded when splashed by acid too For many the half regen isn't that bad.
    Depends if it is base regen or total regen...

Quote Originally Posted by Grey
    "You are wreathed in chaotic flames"
    Might be a little imbalancing for drakelings.

For my suggestions:

-"You suddenly grow gills!" +WaterBreathing, -4 Ap, -2 To
    -"You feel a curious shift in your fortunes." +1d21-11 to all luck rolls.
    -"Your hands swell to twice their size." Carrying capacity increased by 50 percent, PC cannot wear rings or gloves.
    -"Your blood suddenly runs cold." PC is cold-blooded like a drakeling.
    -"You feel an immerse surge of arcane energy through your body." HP and PP scores are swapped.
    -"A thick, caustic fluid drips from your feet." PC will randomly destroy items when he walks on them, like a gelatinous cube, kicking attacks deal 2d6 points of acid damage.
    -"You feel completely disconnected from the mana flow of Ancardia." PC is immune to spells, but cannot cast spells.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Very cool ideas, though the last one would be too imbalancing for non-casters I imagine. Though spells are rarely used by monsters, I guess.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer

Hmm can I make a suggestion? I haven't seen all the corruptions or won yet, so feel free to ignore these! No idea if they are balanced!

How about: You Change! PC changes to a different race! And loses whatever racial skills they have but gains the other races skills!
    Or! Vampirism! You slowly lose St, To, Dx, and maybe some other stats, unless you melee a bleeding monster! But you have a good chance of making monsters bleed in melee!
    Or: Unlife! You become undead! Shopkeepers won't have anything to do with you, but you gain lots of resistances. Also, you can pretty much only heal by regenerating, cause healing stuff hurts you!
    And Last! You no longer exist! You get permanent invisibility, but Cannot Gain Experience, while you have this corruption!

How about a tweak to an existing corruption? I think that "Your corrupted tissue seems to heal much faster," instead of leaving scars, should double your hunger rate.

I like the stilt-leg idea - maybe also throw in a roll against dexterity. Failing means the PC trips and falls, taking damage similar to a pit trap. I also really like the Gills.
    You hear the cries of the crowd: "Freebird!! Freebird!! Freebird!!"

You play some tunes on your lute.

Fade from existence sounds very cool! Might be a little too one-sided when you get to level 50, but perma-invis is already available through pools and some corpses so I can't imagine it upsetting balance too much.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer

* You start to sweat blood.
    Increased chance of bleeding wounds, -4 ap, +5 speed.

* You are filled with unnatural greed.
    Finds more gold.. charisma penalty?

* Your start to hate the sun.
    Occasionally emits a darkness spell effect.

* You embrace the essence of chaos.
    Melee hits corrupt (Could be too harsh, quicklings turning into purple j are extremely deadly.)
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

* Your start to hate the sun.
    Occasionally emits a darkness spell effect.
    Very nice corruption I think it should be in the game

And as an answer from another thread: You can save the puppy if you are fast enough
    Last edited by bolverk; 07-10-2012 at 10:25 PM.