Thread: Death by exploding door in DH

Default Death by exploding door in DH

Unfortunately, no screen shot, as I was too pissed and just spacebarred through my death. I've been working on grey elven monks the past few days, this one being the best so far. He had a fairly amazing start, going directly through the SMC and UD, along that trip finding a blink dog corpse AND spellbook of teleport, a very large tension room of wererats, which lead to me killing several hundred rats, by which i got a heap of equipment including a scimitar of devastation (5d8+6), and few altars. Then proceeding through the CoC to dwarftown, picking up another sword of devastation (5d8+4). Dwarftown shop had a pair of 7LB, and a scroll of identify, the mystic gave my neutral self a blessed potion of gain attributes, and my stats were all in the 15-20's. This is about where my game started going downhill.

Thrundarr's quest was to kill a cave lion, so I figured I'd forfeit his quests and just continue. I became the champion of the arena with out trouble (even against the ogre magi champion when I had no see invis), and exchanged the gladius for training, and started working on my dual-wielding with the dual swords of devastation. Crushing everything in my path, I went to do the Terinyo druid quest and puppy quest that I had skipped earlier, and then made my way back down the CoC. In my inventory I find a scroll of familiar summoning, so I figure I'll head to the DH to use it. At this point my speed is 120, my movement cost is 444 energy, I can teleport on demand, and I have a potion of invis if need be, so I figure I'll make my way through the DH instead of slowly going through trees.

The first room is empty, and there's a door to go further, so I approach the door, attempt to open it, but it's locked.
    Not only is it locked, it's trapped.
    Not only is it trapped, the trap goes off.
    Not only does the trap go off, it sends my 90ish health to exactly 0.

And the best part is, I hadn't gotten around to reading my scroll of familiar summoning to see what I would have gotten, and now I'll never know.

Couple things.

1. Don't go through the dwarven halls. I've had much stronger PC's at that point die in the dwarven halls unexpectedly. And by die, I mean 'got one shotted'. With teleport on demand, there's no reason why you shouldn't have gone through the forest. It's slow, but you won't die. If anything, I would have used the scroll in the first room of the dwarven halls, then gone immediately back up.

2. Don't dual-wield. Even if you were a ranger with two swords of devestation, it is much more survivable and effective to go sword and board.

3. Detect traps is your friend! You should have had it pretty high up there by then, and you should have used it on that door. Never underestimate traps.

Other than that, good work so far.