Thread: Will ADOM 1.2 be only a dream?

Default Will ADOM 1.2 be only a dream?

While the funding campaign was going strong the first couple weeks, the pledges brutally stopped the past few days. Seems that the roguelike community has been exhausted...

This is really a good example on how people feel about the campaign: http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17508
    Is the goal too much? Lack of graphics a problem? Bad timing (summer time)?
    You feel excited. You die.

I think having a significant drop in support after the pledge drive is pretty expected. People who want to put more money in the game may well now start biding their time to see if they can get better value for money.

IMHO, a graphical engine is a total waste of time and effort for ADOM. ASCII is charming. But apparently a lot of people disagree.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

It ' s not over yet, there are many days left!

I don't now... I think if the campaign could get to 3/4 done ($36K) by the last week, the rest would be easy, because everyone would want to put in a bit more and not see it fail. But the thing is getting there... right now it's pretty much stalled, yes.

I guess it depends on what TB does during the next month. I think doing nothing would be a sure recipe for failure. But more pledge drives could be helpful, as well as releasing a bugfix ADOM 1.1.2, or releasing ADOM II 0.3.0. Maybe he has some more ideas in the bucket, let's see...

It's normal for campaigns to stall in the middle, and get a rush of activity at the end. Still, the first few days are normally the most important, and though it's done well there's no guarantee of success. Hopefully with releases of ADOM 1.1.2 and ADOM II 0.3.0 there'll be a touch more interest. And the last power pledge campaign worked well - more of those might be similarly successful.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

The realistic answer is that there it a really ardently dedicated crowd of ADOM fans but it's just not that big of a group. Particularly after all this time without development -- but mostly due to the general fact that there just aren't that many people into roguelikes. ADOM is a niche interest, albeit an awesome one. I was a bit perturbed by the ambition in the plan for ADOM 1.2 and by the huge monetary goal. It's a testament to how dedicated the crowd is (and if my financial state weren't really dismal right now I'd cough up a bunch of money too in repayment for how much pleasure I've gotten from ADOM over the years), but the plain fact is that the potential audience is small. I wish Thomas had set his sight on a more reasonable goal.

Well, his reasoning is that without that much money he can't make a decent shot at it, so there's no point asking for less and doing a crummy job of it. I respect the fact that he's used an all-or-nothing campaign for this on this basis.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!