Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Hero rewards for the crowdfunding campaign

Ratling duelist with blinding and confusion? Or are those two powers not available?

As for cats and worms - you don't HAVE to make the monster as annoying as possible. Though a cat with treasure WOULD make a pretty interesting encounter =)

Some other monsters that would be stylish imo:

Orc Butcher
    Kobold Shaman
    Dwarven Chaos Knight
    Tarantula

As for powers, extra hitpoints is a good option if you want to be sure your monster is not just killed in one hit. Especially for a low level monster, the minimum of +20 HP makes it an ok choice. Then if you have more powers, just add something funny that doesn't instant kill (so avoid death ray and paralysing hits and you're fine).
    Last edited by grobblewobble; 12-09-2012 at 06:17 PM.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Well, yes it shouldn't be annoying but it will be a rare boss monster and it would be a shame for people not to even notice it.
    I've also looked at the +20 HP bonus which sounds huge for early-game creatures so I think I'll start the game up later and have a look at what manages to damage me and think about how it would work with more health. Could be challenging.
    Otherwise I'll probably just go with something weak and the gold or treasure bonus for fun. Will have to mail TB and ask what the treasure bonus refers to first though.

I wish I had more time to playtest for a while and decide upon something more creative but TB pretty much only have us a one week deadline all of a sudden and I have other work to do.

I kinda regret I didn't donate $50 extra for a second power but then again $50 is quite a lot.

How about a cat that evades traps? Isn't that the first and foremost way to kill cats? A cat that can walk through walls would perhaps be too annoying.

How about a karmic cat? What do karmic beings do anyways? Curse/doom you if you kill them but bless you if you eat them?
    Last edited by Msch; 12-10-2012 at 09:40 AM.

I ended up with a hopefully cute-ish unique monster that isn't particularly epic or fiendishly difficult, but will be relevant to myself. Maybe stop worrying so much about the effect and just put something you'd personally like to see in the game?

The way of getting rid of cats I use most is to simply lock them in a room, so them being able to go through walls would be a lot more effective than just evading traps. As for making them karmic beings, that wouldn't work that well; most people go out of their way to avoid engaging them in melee Eating a karmic corpse grants the lucky/fate smiles status, depending on what you already have.

In the end I changed my darkness-seeing doppleganger king to a monster that is in a way is a recreation of my best friend's favourite hero in dota. Yeah, it's a lot more fun this way. I hope he gets to meet him one day.
    Last edited by Chris; 12-10-2012 at 01:02 PM.

Added my black wizard. Maybe someone will run in to him, but as his specialty is not being seen... maybe not.

Yeah, I made mine personal too. I think that's the best approach - make something meaningful to you.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Well, none of my friends are (literal) monsters and I wouldn't want strangers killing my pet dog so I don't think I'm going to put anything personal into the game. Perhaps if I had more time to think about it.

Put in an avatar of yourself as a black wizard or dwarf. Or one of your most successful / memorable characters.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Msch View Post
    Well, none of my friends are (literal) monsters and I wouldn't want strangers killing my pet dog so I don't think I'm going to put anything personal into the game. Perhaps if I had more time to think about it.
    On one hand - yeah, amount of time from GO to FINISH is abysmally short. If someone was now on sunny-hot vacation, they will miss all TB's announcements/reminders (and they are not that friendly: "if you are not interested enough in collecting them I really can’t help it…").
    Then on the other donors were aware they would need to come up with some descriptions for statue/boss, so those could've been prepared earlier on or even emailed. I've already spent a couple of hours thinking/coming up/comparing/trying to describe... it is not that easy. Hope TB is not going to lose PR by handling it that way