Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ADOM 1.2.0 changes? Newbie question

Default ADOM 1.2.0 changes? Newbie question

Hey there guys, I'm a new (serious) player to ADOM, and started playing because I know its a great game and got bored with the Nethack world after I recently ascended SLASH'EM three consecutive times. So, I'm used to having every bit of the game detailed and described to me in mathematical detail.

I have a very promising gray elven wizard at the moment, but he had terrible luck with spellbooks and I had to ID stairhop for some time before I dared to enter combat. He also pacified the big room and got enough herbs to be crowned. Unfortunately, this puts him at 67 days in game time and he is desperate for some seven league boots, potions of cure corruption, or a wish (which could get him either).

So I had him start up a gremlin farm (per documented instructions) on the top level of the dwarven graveyard. So far I have pickpocketed and ordered the death (via my companion) of around 200-500 gremlins, and am becoming anxious. I have had around a 1/20 drop rate with pickpocketing and 5/6 of the time its gold! Not a single ring, only one potion, no wands or amulets....

Has this been changed in 1.2.0? If so, how the heck to I salvage the game? I just want to romp around free and careless without worrying about corruption - so I can collect more stuff, lol. Obviously that requires closing the chaos gate, and which I think means I need to be level 50, hence a need for ridiculous amounts of XP and time to earn it...

There are no apparent guaranteed wishes in the game, I dare not farm at danger level 8 in the ID, and really just feel kind of stuck.

How do I get the resources I need? Should I keep trying with gremlins? How many would I need to pickpocket? Or what is a better way to accomplish my goal of victory? I only scum out of necessity, and would much rather prefer to not do so much work, so if there is a better way I am all ears.

Thank you for your time.

-Matt

Perhaps you are too serious!

Don't worry man! 67 days is doing fine imo! First off, corruption happens, no avoiding it. You don't need Seven League Boots, or Wishes, at all.

Now: Some Specifics:

You are a grey elf. Are you Neutral? If you are neutral there is a small secret room in the Dwarftown where the Dwarf Mystic *might* give you some scrolls of chaos resistance. There is one guaranteed scroll of chaos resistance in a secret room in the High mountain Village, and a few other places where you are guaranteed to get some.

If you kill the Orb Guardians and deliver their bodies to the Druid, Guthalak, in Terinyo, he will give you a potion of cure corruption for each one, if you are not chaotic.

Basically, my advice is just to go down, leveling up as you go, and kill the Snake. Then Try to gear up for the Tower of Fire, by doing the Graveyard (which you might have done already it sounds.) and the Tomb of the High King.

Afterwards, its Tower of Fire and then back on down.

Last, don't worry too much about EXP. Level 20ish is fine for the Tower of fire, and after that levels come fast once you hit the Earth Temple and below. You don't need to be level 50 to win at all!

Oh, and about pickpocketing. I don't pickpocket too much cause it is tedious, but if you "fail" to pickpocket you can keep trying until the monster doesn't seem to have anything of value. I don't know if you knew that or not.

Last, sorry about any spoilers! But you sounded like you were pretty well informed!

Anyways, my advice? Go on down and figure it all out as you go! Don't stress! It's just a game!

Oh, and find some beeswax

Loot generation hasn't been changed in 1.2.0, short of fixing dragon doubling and random artifacts. Of course, there's always the possibility it was done "off the record", but I personally haven't noticed any difference.

You don't need to be level 50 to close the gate, nor is it necessary to do it within 90 days. The 90 day limits only increase background corruption (which is already pretty high in the deep CoC).

The danger level for items in the ID is IDLevel/3 by the way, so you'd have to go to I24 to get a wish. Which is a bad idea considering the existence of the non-corrupting D:8 and dwarven graveyard.

I'd just keep on descending through the CoC and continue the game. If you want corruption removal now, in the event you get something like stiff muscles later, try going to the HMV or talking to the dwarven mystic while neutral. If you manage to find a wish, resist the temptation to ask for SoCRs - a certain sage might reward you with many if you give him something life-saving. Unless he's already dead, of course.
    "And light there be!"

1) Never wish for Potions of Cure Corruption if you're looking for corruption removal. Wish for Scrolls of Chaos Resistance.
    2) I dunno if that has changed in 1.2.0. Here's the changelog if you're interested - http://www.ancardia.com/changelog.html
    3) Don't worry about corruption in a normal game. It's only a major concern if you're going for an ultra ending. If you REALLY need corruption removal, there are several places where you can acquire guaranteed Scrolls of Chaos Resistance
    4) You shouldn't need to scum to win. Just continue on playing normally. It's possible to beat the game without 7LBs, wishes, PoCCs, or any of that no problem. I'm not going to go into specifics because im not sure how much you're spoiled (or how much you want to be), but its plenty possible to win without much in the way of equipment. It can make it easier, yes, but more often than not smart play will keep any PC alive.

EDIT: Holy ninjas, batman!
    Normal - GE Ranger, Human Monk, GE Wizard, Hurthling Beastfighter, Hurthling Farmer
    Ultra - ULE GE Wizard

Gremlin bombing is much more tedious without ADoM Sage (incompatible with the new version) because you can't use macros. I've killed several thousand gremlins to get what I want from a gremlin bomb. 2 or 3 hundred is not much for a gremlin bomb. If you want to continue, just kill them yourself. It'll be quicker, and it'll take around 2000 for them to become dangerous. I advise what the previous players said, just move on, you can do without, etc. If you really really really want a wish, go to Darkforge and drink from the pools there. Be aware if you get doomed, as you can't recieve a wish from a pool when doomed.
    Proud member of Team Silfir in the Treasure Hunter debate.

Thanks to all for your prompt replies.

So, the general consensus I am getting is that I'm worrying a bit too much about corruption. I am a very cautious player in general, possibly in part because of ridiculous deaths in Nethack (seriously, there was one time I had a healer who found a wand of wishing in the starting room, and when he walked into the next room he was instakilled by a poisoned dagger thrown by a hobbit hiding in a dark corridor).

Of note, I looooooove to be spoiled - in games as well as IRL (a huuuge part of the field of medicine is basically just making effective use of spoilers).

Ok, I am going to turn off the gremlin machine and continue with the game. I did happen to get an AoLS in the process, so I may try for the trident of the red rooster (after I close the portal if thats possible, just so I can have it... been crowned so there may be some fallen champion issues with the whole changing alignment thing...), and apparently that will pretty much take care of my corruption worries too, eh?

Smart play is what helped me achieve 3 consecutive ascensions in SLASH'EM. I do everything (that I know of) that I am supposed to do, and don't take unnecessary risks. ADOM is a new game for me, and it will take some experience before I can judge what precautions are sufficient. My characters are absolutely 100% willing to do whatever it takes to survive, but if all this work is unnecessary then I am going off to gratefully follow your advice and continue the questlines.

As far as the beeswax goes, I am aware of its necessity and have a blessed one with me and 2 uncursed ones in separate stashes to reduce potential theft/loss.

Sorry if my writing seems a bit blunt (or egotistical) - My mental filter (and/or judgment of whether my filter is working) apparently isnt working today and really do appreciate the comments.

-Matt

ADOM isn't as bad as Nethack for cheap deaths. If you've read the Guidebook you should be plenty prepared for what's to come. However I would seriously suggest relaxing and learning to enjoy death in roguelikes - it's part of the fun of the genre.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Quote Originally Posted by nipon621 View Post
    I am a very cautious player in general
    This is actually a desirable trait.

Ok, I am going to turn off the gremlin machine and continue with the game. I did happen to get an AoLS in the process, so I may try for the trident of the red rooster (after I close the portal if thats possible, just so I can have it... been crowned so there may be some fallen champion issues with the whole changing alignment thing...), and apparently that will pretty much take care of my corruption worries too, eh?
    An ultra ending is off-limits to you if you got crowned. Though you still talk to the ancient sage, and get the TotRR if you want.

ADOM is a new game for me, and it will take some experience before I can judge what precautions are sufficient.
    I would say you're learning pretty fast
    "And light there be!"

Corruption is not that big of a deal. You character can take about 18 (19? I can never remember) corruptions before they die, and in the regular course of play, you're unlikely to get more than half of that unless you're very slow or carry around corrupting artifacts for a long time. So mostly, potions of cure corruption and scrolls of chaos resistance are just for removing corruptions that are particularly nasty to your character--and there's about 3 or 4 of those. Most of the rest just mess with your stats, which is annoying but not serious, or provide minor cosmetic effects that may be moderately useful.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

New issue: trekked on and pickpocketed a ring of djinni summoning. Character is 73 days in game, no seven league boots, and pre-tower of flame without a ring of ice. I would rather not have all my equipped items melt there (I have multiple fireproof/waterproof blankets), but is there a workaround? Speed is always better in these games. Oh, and I have like 9 potions of exchange... would it be possible/likely to just use that to get rings of ice/djinni summoning (to get rings of ice)?