Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Adom 1.2 Artifact suggestions for the Creator (now that dozens are needed)

Default Adom 1.2 Artifact suggestions for the Creator (now that dozens are needed)

Let's help Thomas out (and be realistic abt overpoweredness and fill holes in the existing set!)...

Well, a music instrument that tames more than 'animals'. Music will have to be a 'learnable' skill though.

Aeryn's Dancing Shoes (-4, -4) [+5, +1] {dx+4} {ch+4} (+5 spd) (substitute a better name if you want, I suck at names)

They give you a base movement cost of 450.
    They greatly reduce travel time is the wilderness.
    They grant resistance to paralyzation attacks.
    They are a permanently cursed item.
    (perhaps they would give a 10% chance of falling down the stairs - you know, because it's hard to dance down stairs)

Basically, artifact 7LB. In the rare case I find artifact boots in ADOM, I end up just wearing my 7LB anyway because they're so much more useful. This provides a legitimate alternative.
    Last edited by Dogbreath; 08-22-2012 at 08:58 AM.

There's a heap of artifact ideas there were suggested for ADoM II that would probably work just as well in ADoM. They're here:

http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread...ct-suggestions

But to come up with a few specific artifact ideas for ADoM 1.2, here's a few that come to mind.

The first four are mutually exclusive (only one will appear in any particular game), and are mostly identical except for certain variations. To save space, I'll put them all together as one artifact, with markers for where the specifics can change.

- shimmering staff "Ancient (1)" (+8, 4d5+2) [+4,+4] {(2')+5} -

Weight: 60s

When worn it modifies PV by +4 and DV by +4.

When used in melee combat it grants a +8 bonus to hit and causes 4d5+2 points of damage. When used as a missile it grants a +2 bonus to hit and causes 2d5 points of damage.

It modifies your (2) attribute by +5.
    It is a (3) slayer.
    It grants immunity to (4) attacks.
    It grants resistance to paralyzation.
    (5).

Each tag will have four possible values. They are in order, and so the first one in each go together to form one artifact.

(1): Inferno, Glaciation, Fulmination, Corrosion
    (2): strength, learning, dexterity, willpower
    (3): construct, dragon, demon, giant
    (4): fire, cold, shock, acid
    (5): It grants the ability to see invisible, It is very good at scoring critical hits in melee, It grants the ability to breathe water, It grants resistance to death rays

I've tried to balance the powers of the four variations given that. Notable is that the acid weapon is useful against Nuurag Vaarn, who isn't immune to acid, and casts death rays and confusion (helped through willpower and resistance to death rays). The cold weapon has somewhat of a knowledge element to it, with crit hitting and learning boost - the dragon slaying is a reference to Pokemon, where Ice type beats Dragon type. The shock weapon's ability to breathe water comes from the fact that electricity through water creates hydrogen and oxygen, and the fire weapons ability to see invisible is due to fire creating light (conceptually).

Now, I have two other artifact ideas. The first one is a worn item (specifically, headgear) intended to grant an ability that is currently missing for the PC in ADoM but which NPCs can have.

- Darknight Goggles [+0,+0] {Pe+3} -

Weight: 10s

It increase your perception attribute by +3.
    It grants the ability to see in darkness.
    It improves your searching capabilities.

It also increases your luck strongly (equivalent to having three items that "increase your luck") on Darknight, as an unlisted ability.

Finally, I have an artifact idea that might be something interesting...

- Scroll of Omniscience -

Weight: 2s

On reading, this scroll grants the reader the ability to know, on sight, the IDed description of any object. What this means is, if you find a golden amulet, you immediately know whether it's a pendant of mana, a necklace of the eye, an amulet of hunger, etc. Same with any other item. You don't get to know BUC status, though. It's a lot like the Merchant ability, but for all items. Scroll disappears after reading, of course.
    Last edited by Aielyn; 08-22-2012 at 08:46 AM.

Some pointers I would make on artifact design:

- It's best to stick to combinations of abilities in existing items and artifacts - we don't want TB sinking all his time into trying to integrate strange unsupported abilities that are also more likely to introduce bugs
    - If it's more powerful than anything already in the game then it's likely overpowered
    - We need low and medium level artifacts as well as ultra stuff
    - Many equipment slots are underfilled or have somewhat mediocre stuff
    - Weapons are always always welcome
    - Character counts more than ability (as in an interesting combination with a cool name trumps a plain items with high stats in terms of memorability and flavour in the game)
    - Also, I guess some consideration of what would make good crowning gifts for the two new classes we might get (Chaos Knights and Duellists)
    - Bold your artifacts names to make it easier to read the thread

I'll post some ideas when I'm not so sleep deprived :/ Was a late night last night!
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Digging up an old 15-page artifact suggestion thread:

http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread...r-own-artifact
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    Digging up an old 15-page artifact suggestion thread:

http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread...r-own-artifact
    That thread goes from realistic to completely ridiculous ideas within about a page unfortunately!

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    - Many equipment slots are underfilled or have somewhat mediocre stuff
    It would have to be almost open season on
    1) helmets
    2) bracers (BoW or bust kinda sucks)
    3) boots

Girdles too.

Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post
    That thread goes from realistic to completely ridiculous ideas within about a page unfortunately!
    Many ideas suggested there are unrealistic, but it has a few very nice suggestions, too.

I especially liked the idea of some artifact whip and a good melee artifact staff.

(edit: ok, on second thought you're right, most of it is garbage)
    Last edited by grobblewobble; 08-22-2012 at 09:24 AM.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.