Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: TWL '09: League of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    Yeah, I might have underestimated the effect of leaving behind all the food. Then again, the character was on much lower satiation than I left it on. (This is the weakness I intended to expose, that too often players spend a lot of turns running away from things they can easily kill.)

I played from the save directly after chaos tactics... dealt with tension room, descended once due to breeders...2000 turns later, food is clearly not a problem.
    Doesn't take into account the fact that the guy following you may play his turn in such a manner that he doesn't stockpile on food, only eating what he finds to keep himself off 'hungry', creating a situation pretty much like the one that unfolded.

I agree that people do spend turns they don't need to running away, but my point about chaos tactics stands; assuming that the players don't have any major gaps in their knowledge, they seem to typically work by increasing the luck factor.

Anyway. All Hail Dark Lord Tapi.
    Doesn't take into account that koctyxa may have died on ID:50

By the way, I'd suggest for the final that people have to post their high-score details when they die, to prevent a situation such as this one where, for example, koctyxa could claim he reached ID:38 when he only reached ID:32, just so that he would be the 'winner' of this league.

It'd balance things up a bit too between offline/online, in that people playing on the server can't hide their high-score file, whereas people playing offline can.

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    Doesn't take into account the fact that the guy following you may play his turn in such a manner that he doesn't stockpile on food, only eating what he finds to keep himself off 'hungry', creating a situation pretty much like the one that unfolded.
    Yes, well... QED I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    By the way, I'd suggest for the final that people have to post their high-score details when they die, to prevent a situation such as this one where, for example, koctyxa could claim he reached ID:38 when he only reached ID:32, just so that he would be the 'winner' of this league.

It'd balance things up a bit too between offline/online, in that people playing on the server can't hide their high-score file, whereas people playing offline can.
    I disagree - koctyxa obviously hid his high score details to avoid revealing what was in the tension room on the level (maybe he got aged to death?) This way he's not helping the next players overcome or avoid the situation, giving him more of a chance of getting into the finals. I think we can trust people well enough not to lie about this sort of thing.

Still waiting on koctyxa to declare his details. However I have a strong feeling that he died on one of the lower levels, and the winners of Darkness are likely tapi, mike and Covenant.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

I cannot tell my exact scores - I was playing in different country on different computer and didn't save results. But I remember that I did something this line:

Killed hill giant chieftan and ratling archer - they didn't leave corpses, but at this time I was not aware of food constraints. Just after that I felt hungry. So I thought: a tension room, yum! But there were ghosts so I run downstairs. I was already loosing my stats when I recalled potion - and it was willpower. After a while I spot a ogre king and started fighting it while still with one ghost on the back. So I got to ~20HP and had to run. I was starving once again and loosing stats while I ate a goblin. Then I found a troll king and since I was at 50HP, I left him alone. Then I killed ~15 chaos spawns but they won't leave corpse so I had to step back. At the end I was chased by berserking critically wounded troll king, ogre king and a lot of chaos spawns, and there were two places I could search for hidden doors to downstairs. I chosen wrong one. Then I made the biggest mistake: I had two corpses: kobold and quasist. And I choose to eat kobold. I was waiting for sickness to dissolve, but it didn't. I was closing doors which were opened by troll king for a while and got from satiated to hungry. At the end I was cursed, aged by 20 years, sick, 40 HP and... it was still something I could survive - but instead of outrunning troll king in a room and have a nice buffer of chaos spawns between us, I went berserking on him - and he was also berserking and he already regenerated to full HP. I've made a lot of mistakes and I deserved death. Moral: don't play tired after a lot of overhours.

In short: I descended only once and stayed alive slightly more than 1500 turns.

Man, pity you didn't play on the server - that death sounds epic!

However it does confirm that you were the Weakest Link, and have not ascended to the finals. This means it's now time for the final battle to commence...
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!