Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First achievements in ADOM

First version: 0.9.9 gamma 15, from what I heard it wasn't very stable due to crashes on monsters picking up lots of items, but didn't get far enough for it to be a problem :P

First silliness: Terinyo a tiny helmet? Ok, how do I pick it up? Where's the damn manual...? :P

First time doing VD quest properly: running for my life 3 floors up... WTF just happened? Oh, that makes sense.

First artifact: scorched spear in the puppy cave vault. Which I promptly left behind (yet another spear? do not want) and only upon death I learned from .flg it was something better.

First win: GE Weaponsmith in 1.0.0.

Gotta love those nostalgic posts...
    First version: dunno exactly, but definitely before the talent system, back in 1999 or 2000.

First dumb thing: dying for starvation in the wilderness...why reading the manual, i can figure things out by myself!

First character: orcish barbarian, most likely.

First artifact: the black torc from keethrax, which i always use to wear, not having the faintest idea about B/U/C status

First achievement: Probably getting to the left side of the map, but i still remember how astonished i was the first time i entered the water temple and pyramid.

First win: never won yet...never savescummed either, i onlyy read the manual. I was considering giving up and reading the guidebook after all these years, but playing totally unspoiled give me sweet emotions, so i'll stick with that for some more time.
    you can't wake up who's pretending to sleep

My first character lucky enough to make it into the teens was a dwarven merchant.
    Exploring below dwarftown, not even knowing enough to ask about quests, he stumbled across Moon Sickle!
    Awesome damage... I remember feeling unstoppable and wondering at my luck.
    Then the truth began to dawn as I got one corruption, then another, then another...
    I don't remember how that character died, but it wasn't long after that.

First version played: 0.9.9 g15
    When: 2000 I think? I was 10 or 11 at the time.
    First character: A human barbarian, I'm pretty sure.
    First death: By an ogre in the SMC. I didn't understand that the monsters got harder the longer you stayed...
    First artifact: The emerald dagger. (which was called "Death's Final Touch" or something like that back then) It was generated in the SMC.
    First Achievement: Finding the CoC and the arena for the first time. I should explain, I had gone back and played earlier versions of ADOM where it was just one dungeon and been to the arena and Dwarftown and the CoC graveyard. When I realized those locations still existed in g15, I was incredibly excited.
    First Win: a couple savescummed. First legit win was with a gnome merchant in 2004.