Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Get rid of teleportitis?

Like boots of anchoring?

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    Teleporting is too easy to control in this game as it is - another item to manage it seems like overkill. I wouldn't make it a ring, in any case. If it's autocursing, it should be for a slot that doesn't have an autocursing random item yet, like helmets or bracers.
    Well then, how about "Astral Shackles"? Autocursing bracers that prevent movement in the astral plane, and thus block teleportation.

And keep in mind that this item doesn't let you *control* teleportation, it blocks it entirely. And if they're autocursing, then it's particularly annoying, because you have to uncurse them before being able to remove them each time, and you need to remove them in order to be able to teleport (and in reality, most characters want to teleport at one time or another). Given how useful on-demand teleportation is, it's not like teleport control (which has no downside).

(I said "manage" teleporting - trying to keep the terminology straight. Anything the player can do to cause or affect teleportation is managing it, teleport control being one aspect. And in general, managing teleportation is already very easy.)

I don't mind either way - I just don't think the part where spellcasters with teleportitis self-inflicted by drinking pools or eating pixies have trouble reading some spellbooks some times needs fixing. There are locations in the game already that prevent teleportation. They all corrupt, but such is the price.

I do like the concept of the astral shackles - but it doesn't have to be restricted to preventing teleportation; they could also impede spellcasting. (Possibly in both directions - reducing spell damage received as well) Basically, the caster equivalent of gauntlets of peace, which largely suck, but provide some benefits.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

My last play-through with controlled teleportitis on 1.2.0p3 didn't seem to cause any problem in the gift shop (I think I could teleport unimpeded while not carrying unpaid items, but I might have misremembered and never actually had it kick in while in the shop), but I did get stuck inside after setting off the shopkeeper with my aura.

Quote Originally Posted by Arancaytar View Post
    (I think I could teleport unimpeded while not carrying unpaid items,
    I can almost definitely confirm that as false, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    I do like the concept of the astral shackles - but it doesn't have to be restricted to preventing teleportation; they could also impede spellcasting. (Possibly in both directions - reducing spell damage received as well) Basically, the caster equivalent of gauntlets of peace, which largely suck, but provide some benefits.
    I like the idea of having an item that has this effect, but also has some other effects, so that there's a bit of variety. But I'm not big on the idea of simply making them anti-wizard devices. So I'll propose four different items, each of which is a variation with different effects, so that there's some level of variety and perhaps a bit more control.

1. Astral Shackles - exactly as I described, they autocurse and they block all forms of teleportation. These are the basic item, doing nothing more than affecting the ability to teleport. I'm actually tempted to suggest that, to make them a little more risky, they should be autolocking rather than autocursing - so you have to destroy or transmute them to get them off. Autolocking would go very well with the idea of them being shackles. There could perhaps be a way for those with pick locks to be able to unlock them, though.

2. Gloves of Impotency - this is the Wizard's big danger. Autocursing, these not only block teleportation (with perhaps the exception of teleportation traps), but also all spellcasting. They do have an upside, though... I'm just undecided between four options (or a combination of them):

Option 1: Gloves grant resistances to all four elements, death ray resistance, and petrification resistance.
    Option 2: Gloves significantly reduce damage due to magic in a direct sense. A magic equivalent of Gloves of Peace, in effect.
    Option 3: Gloves help to make melee easier, by boosting accuracy and/or damage (or perhaps by increasing a stat?). This helps to compensate for removing Spellcasting for Wizards by giving them a little more chance in melee.
    Option 4: Gloves prevent all stat drains by monsters.

3. Shoes of Anchoring - Definitely the most troublesome of the items, these are autocursing shoes that increase movement costs (equivalent to the effect of cursed SLBs, but unaffected by BUC status), increase water damage based on BUC status, and reduce the weight limit for ice bridges to (BUC) 1750/1500/1000 stones. This can make rivers pretty much a no-go unless you have water breathing, and the movement cost is difficult. The one real upside is that kicking damage is significantly increased. Could be quite useful in conjunction with a circular kick, I suppose. They could also be useful as a thrown item (like throwing an actual anchor).

4. Helm of Astral Stability - This is probably the nicest of the items (but also the rarest), granting real advantages and not autocursing or locking. Not only does it prevent teleportation, but it also reduces corruption (say, by 10 percent, because the astral plane is corrupted, but the helmet prevents any incidental contact with that plane), increases PV, and resists death rays (reasoning: as I see it, death rays don't cause physical death, they're effectively cutting the target's mind - astral form - from their body. This helm blocks that astral knife, protecting you). Note that I do want there to be an autocursing helmet... but I think that this isn't the right sort of item for that.

OP here, love where this thread is going. I approve of the addition of potentially harmful bracers. I also think there should be a monster that steals random intrinsics and the corpse has a B/U/C dependent chance of granting a random intrinsic. It should probably also affect your stats just enough to make it a solution to a problem instead of a potential intrinsic gaining machine (draining d3 points of d4+2 random stats enough you think?).

That or a rare, random suffix that could potentially be on any scroll which isnt formally identified (ie; more than type identified) that steals all non-immunity intrinsics.... Muahahaha! Yes, I am evil.

I don't know which ideas are stupid, which are overpowered, and which should be added to the game - I just know that, unless I'm playing a beastfighter or mindcrafter or some other all-but-illiterate character, teleportitis is pretty unfun at times. I've tried to use a wish to get rid of it, but it's only possible by drinking from pools - and I'd gladly welcome some other means to remove (or supress) it.
    Proud member of Team Silfir in the Treasure Hunter debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyreles View Post
    I don't know which ideas are stupid, which are overpowered, and which should be added to the game - I just know that, unless I'm playing a beastfighter or mindcrafter or some other all-but-illiterate character, teleportitis is pretty unfun at times. I've tried to use a wish to get rid of it, but it's only possible by drinking from pools - and I'd gladly welcome some other means to remove (or supress) it.
    Yes. I think that unless one has extensive experience with making this type of game that it would be extremely difficult to predict whether something is overpowered or stupid. Personally, I think playtesting is the only way to know for sure.

I'm pretty dang new at this game, and haven't even attempted a serious non-caster (aside from an awesome bard), but I cant imagine the frustration of uncontrolled teleportitis with a non-caster.

If you have enough food and stay out of dangerous areas such as the Dwarven Halls, it's mostly just tedious. It sucks to walk to the stairs several times just to reach the next level. It can also save your life, even uncontrolled - or take it away.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.