-----
    With full enginges: evade 45%
    -----
    Fuel: 24
    Missiles: 19
    Drone Parts: 11
    -----
    Scrap: 89
    Three crewmen is really, really harsh. As always, there's a small chance you might find a shop on sector 8, if it sells crewmen, buy some. The decision not to sell the Med-Bot Dispersal throughout the entire game turned out to have some benefit, because it will allow your few crewment to avoid medbay visits even if they take punishment from putting out fires and stray shots and occasional lack of oxygen throughout.

You have a lot of important secondary systems stuck on level 1. The upgrades to level 2 can be absolute lifesavers and are very much inside your 89 scrap range - but have to be balanced against the fact that you're also not maxed out in power. You should be able to pick up more scrap on sector 8 by visiting unvisited beacons or selling items to shops; do it. (Sell the hull beam; the Burst Laser II does a more than adequate job wasting the enemy ship once the shields are down, charges faster, and you can never have enough concentrated targeted system damage.) Level 2 in Oxygen, Piloting, the Medbay or Cloaking will make those systems not just sturdier, if you do find yourself in need of oxygen or the medbay before the battle is over, you need them juiced up. It's a tough call. I'd get at least oxygen 2 and invest the rest of the 89 scrap in power bars.

Defensively, you are really vulnerable to boarding. Relatively speaking, the first phase of the boss fight is by far the least dangerous to you, so you should use it to lay the groundwork for an easier time later - try to kill as many crewmen as possible on the main body of the ship and the missiles room. Bring missiles, Ion Blast Mk II and the burst laser. Missile priority should probably be missiles room, then piloting or cloaking or maybe shields, as your ion blast II stays locked on shields, and once the shields are down you just aim the burst laser at whichever system the crewmen are repairing at the time. Use your cloaking device to dodge the first missile barrage. Later, it's probably most useful against the enemy ion barrages.

Second phase, swap out the missiles for ion bombs, and keep the defense drone powered up at all times. Really pay close attention, since it's easy for it to get deactivated by a stray drone. Ion bombs, incidentally, go into the missiles room, so the defense drone can concentrate on keeping the boarding drones away, and your cloaking can stay reserved for the power surges (remember to only cloak shortly after the power surge drones actually appear). Meanwhile, your Ion Blast II should be able to switftly turn off shields and your burst laser should kill piloting first, then perhaps missiles so you can stop using bombs (might need to save up some missiles - but do remember before the flagship to hit up repair bases for extra ones) then the drone control to switch off whatever boarding drone might have made it onto your ship, then whatever else you think is in need of some tender loving carnage. Use cloaking, of course, to dodge power surges. Things might get nasty in this phase - but Ion Blast II + Burst Laser II should kill the flagship fast enough.

In the third phase, if you didn't kill enough crewmen, you might have to resort to venting almost the entire ship (your pilot can't leave; if he gets into a fight, send one of your Engis to assist and pray to Celestia that the med-bot dispersal makes a difference; your remaining Engi will also need Medbay 2 to survive in a 1v3, so make this a priority with your flagship 2 scrap) and retreating to your medbay. This is where having Oxygen 2 might make the crucial difference, since after the attackers suffocate you want the damn thing full of air again so your Engi can repair crucial systems. In this phase, I would actually abandon subtlety altogether. Pump the shields full of Ion and Hermes missiles to take them down as fast as possible, knock out the piloting, and just missile+laser the hull down. Ion knocks out Zoltan shields very quickly, so you should be fine winning the race.
    Last edited by Silfir; 09-05-2013 at 02:36 AM.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by KyoShinda View Post
    How much difference is there between easy and normal?
    Easy mode is challenging enough when you begin playing. Normal mode is a lot harder and you need to optimize your resources and choose your battles more carefully.
    1 ULE, 1 UNE, 18 regular endings. Won with every race. Trying to win with every class. Never won with farmer, merchant, mindcrafter and thief.

Well, without spoiling too much: My Torus series is over and out! Big thanks for your help and support during the last days, especially to Silfir... definitely learned a whole lot from your hints!

Here's the link to the second-but-last video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1i6v...EB5Fu9EfjYMTUg

And here's the very last one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDRir...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by GordonOverkill; 09-05-2013 at 07:02 PM.
    My band: http://messerschmitt-speed.com
    ... for those old school Heavy Metal maniacs among you
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My youtube-profile: http://www.youtube.com/GordonOverkillManiac
    ... with lots of ADOM videos, including several complete successful play-throughs and tutorials for beginners

Congrats, that was pretty solid.

But, damn, your power management sometimes made me shout at the youtube video.
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

I haven't even watched to the end, but I have to write this now or I'll burst.

Power your engines. I've seen too many systems that were doing nothing at the time powered while your engines were chugging along at minimum power, sometimes even at one bar. When people write that you should have level 5 Engines for the final battle, they mean powered. The magical number is 40% Evasion, as that adds to the Cloaking device's 60% bonus to protect your ship completely while the cloaking device runs.

You've also fallen prey to a grievous misunderstanding as far as the cloaking device is concerned. For the flagship, the recommended Cloaking power usage is 1. This is because extra power to Cloaking prolongs the cloaking period, but the main draw of the cloaking device is not a long cloaking period to help weapons to recharge (though that helps, too, don't get me wrong), it's the ability to 100% evade short-term barrages of powerful attacks. Perhaps more importantly, the power surges are not delayed by your cloaking period, so running higher level cloaking means your cloaking device will still be cooling down as the next power surge rolls around. If someone recommended higher levels of cloaking to you, it's probably as security.

These two misunderstandings escalated each other in your (I'm sorry) horrifying mistake of buying cloaking 3 over the final power bars. I have fought every single boss battle ever with fully upgraded reactors and I can hardly contemplate ever not doing so. There's just so much to power. Full shields (six to eight), engines (ordinarily at least five) and your weapons and drones.

I really hope you're going to make it anyway, because I'm not sure I could live with the suspicion that I've somehow failed you in not communicating my advice properly.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    I haven't even watched to the end, but I have to write this now or I'll burst.

Power your engines. I've seen too many systems that were doing nothing at the time powered while your engines were chugging along at minimum power, sometimes even at one bar. When people write that you should have level 5 Engines for the final battle, they mean powered. The magical number is 40% Evasion, as that adds to the Cloaking device's 60% bonus to protect your ship completely while the cloaking device runs.
    Haha, sorry for the pain and despair! To be honest, during most of the time I just did not feel in danger of being seriously hit. Of the three rebel ships that I fought before the boss only one was a little dangerous to my hull, which was the second one with the missile launcher. (Still you should not have skipped the third battle. That one included a really exciting moment... my bording crew was already seriously injured and the tellyporter not yet charged when I realized that those damn rebels had an improved door controll :-o )

You've also fallen prey to a grievous misunderstanding as far as the cloaking device is concerned. For the flagship, the recommended Cloaking power usage is 1. This is because extra power to Cloaking prolongs the cloaking period, but the main draw of the cloaking device is not a long cloaking period to help weapons to recharge (though that helps, too, don't get me wrong), it's the ability to 100% evade short-term barrages of powerful attacks. Perhaps more importantly, the power surges are not delayed by your cloaking period, so running higher level cloaking means your cloaking device will still be cooling down as the next power surge rolls around. If someone recommended higher levels of cloaking to you, it's probably as security.
    Thanks, that's definitely good to know!

These two misunderstandings escalated each other in your (I'm sorry) horrifying mistake of buying cloaking 3 over the final power bars. I have fought every single boss battle ever with fully upgraded reactors and I can hardly contemplate ever not doing so. There's just so much to power. Full shields (six to eight), engines (ordinarily at least five) and your weapons and drones.
    Most important aim of my next FTL Let's play: Not kill Silfir!

I really hope you're going to make it anyway, because I'm not sure I could live with the suspicion that I've somehow failed you in not communicating my advice properly.
    Haha, I am the Captain and of course I take the whole responsibility! Anyway, I hope you enjoy(ed) the series at least a little. In my eyes it features some truely nerve-racking moments and I am quite positive that it is at least not boring to watch ;-)

@_Ln_:
    Thanks for your support, and also sorry to you for some rather "special" tactics that I used ;-)
    Last edited by GordonOverkill; 09-05-2013 at 09:08 PM.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ... with lots of ADOM videos, including several complete successful play-throughs and tutorials for beginners

Wait, what. Why did you power down your weapons. Are you high?! If you don't want to shoot, just deselect their targets - click on the weapon, right click, bam, no target!

Can I bring myself to keep watching? I don't know. So exciting, so entertaining, so painful, so sad. Let's Play at its best and worst. Celestia lend me strength.

EDIT: Check 19:30 again. That's how my power management usually looks during boss fights. No superfluous systems, full power on the engines. O2 doesn't become a problem as long as your guys can physically breathe. With some extra power, you could have powered a defense drone as well without having to power down a weapon again.

I definitely can't hate on the doors 3 investment though. That's some delicious asphyxiation going on.

EDIT2: 20:55: Please start up a new game right now, get into a fight, and practice deselecting targets. Click on a weapon that is charging and has a target as if to select a new target, then right click. Now it won't fire, but will still charge and be ready to fire as needed. Please practice this until your fingers bleed and then never, ever do this to me again. We're physically located in the same country, and I can check your band's tour plan, but you will never see me coming.

(For serious though - if I ever manage to be nearby we should totally meet up or something.)

EDIT3: What is up with your weapons? You don't have the Ion Blast on autofire because of your depowering spree and I don't know what? You should have killed that guy a long time ago!

EDIT4: Thinks are looking way up. One minor nitpick here; don't pull your guys if you don't have to. Sensors are non-critical and you could have vented that part easily now that boarders are no longer a concern. The Engines dude adds 10 evasion as long as he's at his station and it's not like your weapons dude is playing Minesweeper on his console either. Congratulations in advance anyway, by now you would have to screw up majorly to lose.

Say hello to the wife for me. Well done!
    Last edited by Silfir; 09-05-2013 at 10:18 PM.

Yeah, watching you depower the weapons made me cringe too. xD

Also, a tip. You can turn on autofire but then hold Ctrl+Wpn Num to do a single attack with said weapon instead of constant. As an example, set on autofire then do a regular 1+click on w/e to constant attack with ion II then Ctrl+click with a missile to fire once and not repeat(obviously, yellow reticle being repeat attack, red being singular). What I usually do to reset weapon lock is tap 1234 in a row then right click.

All in all it was pretty fun to watch and I realized a lot of mistakes I usually make when fighting the boss.

@Silfir: was totally wondering about the cloak recharge thing. I never tested and assumed that the recharge time between lvl3 cloaks was shorter simply because it lasted longer.

I gave my MS Paint a cloaking device(totally not cheating I swear).
    Last edited by KyoShinda; 09-06-2013 at 05:55 AM.
    P1: This game is so Retired!! How does a wooden ring protect you from becoming bacon??
    P2:
    Just drink Tobasco for the intrinsic you retire!!

Congratulations GordonOverkill on your second victory on that platform.

Thanks, again to all of you guys!

@KyoShida:
    Actually I was really glad that the boss fight went so well. This was the very first time I fought him without bording troops, so I really did not know if it would work.

@Silfir:
    Would be great to meet up some day! At least we seem to have a very simmilar taste in video games ;-) Greetings back from my wife!

@Stingray:
    I expressed it in this strange way because the night before I recorded the last episode I made a test run on my laptop, which became a success, too. Yesterday night I played one more run with the Torus to see how I do when I care of everything I learned from the very beginning and again I won, so I am really happy with this ship right now! Not yet sure which ship I will try next.
    Last edited by GordonOverkill; 09-06-2013 at 10:06 AM.