Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: FTL - Faster than Light

No, I'll beat this damn game on hard with every ship. I know it just takes time to adjust to the new tools and how to use them to one's advantage. I just now discovered a nice trick by accident. I really wanted to get a teleportation strategy going, to get more resources.

Last edited by Stingray1; 04-14-2014 at 09:36 PM.
    Learn to learn.

I haven't gotten around to using boarding parties in advanced so I don't bother getting mind control anymore and when the enemy uses it on me I just have a spare guy run in and out of the room over and over again. It works really well because the person doesn't know what to shoot at and it's really funny to watch.
    P1: This game is so Retired!! How does a wooden ring protect you from becoming bacon??
    P2:
    Just drink Tobasco for the intrinsic you retire!!

Just got my best run with the Swallow so far... sector 6, three shields, five engines, flak I, burst laser I, zoltan shield, repair arm, long range scanner... and then there comes an auto assault drone that beats me to pieces so quickly that I don't even get the chance to shot a complete volley at it x-D it has two attack drones II, a burst laser II, a burst laser one and a small missile... almost a litte rediculous x-) I have been able to flee with 1 hull point, two burning rooms, damagend weapons, shields, cloning device, doors and sensors and about twentifive shots on the way to my ship. Before the fight I was almost full HP. Luckily I could jump back directly into a store and still got some scrap left (though I'll have to fight the rebels at least twice now cause the shop was in the wrong direction), but honestly, I love hard mode <3

e: reached sector 7 and had to retreat from the first three fights x-D Man, my ship is really, really tough and still I have to flee from much more than 50% of the fights x-D This run is hell on earth! Also I am permanently short on fuel (because of not winning enough fights). Did you guys also get the impression that fueling your engine got a whole lot harder in hard mode?

e: and I am dead. Five fights in sector 7 and I didn't have any chance in any single one of them. During the last one I had no more fuel to retreat. A flak I and a burst laser II were just not enough to seriously hurt any of my last six enemies. Would have needed one more upgrade on my weapons to get that burst laser I online that I had carried with me for an eternity, but I just didn't get any little piece of scrap. Holy crap, that was one of the most exciting runs I ever had in this game! And I unlocked the Zoltan ship, which is quite cool, too :-)
    Last edited by GordonOverkill; 04-16-2014 at 09:45 PM.
    My band: http://messerschmitt-speed.com
    ... for those old school Heavy Metal maniacs among you
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My youtube-profile: http://www.youtube.com/GordonOverkillManiac
    ... with lots of ADOM videos, including several complete successful play-throughs and tutorials for beginners

Yeah man, this shit is hard. I myself just lost in sector 7 after getting zoltan shield, titanium casing(stealth ship unlock ), lvl 5 engines lvl 3 shields, bl3, dual laser, hacking with swallow.

One does run out of fuel more in hard than normal, but I think one finds more missiles and drone parts in the new version? So, I think one should try to use bomb and drones more.
    Learn to learn.

P1: This game is so Retired!! How does a wooden ring protect you from becoming bacon??
    P2:

I think that now it's much more important to have a plan in mind to build your ship. You cannot just buy this or that because it's generally cool. If not your whole ship is focussed on a single big advantage, you will get more and more overpowered by the enemies from sector 5 onward. For example a teleporter alone is close to worthless. You definitely need to combine it with a clone bay and a strong boarding squad, with a mind control device etc. Your laser spam won't take you very far if not you combine it with some means of disabling the enemies defense... such as hacking or mind control. And it's just extremely tricky to get all that particular fitting stuff and improve your standard systems at the same time. You really have to be able to beat the big majority of your foes at any time during the whole run, otherwise you will just run out of fuel and scrap... and in 90% of my runs I am not x-D
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ... with lots of ADOM videos, including several complete successful play-throughs and tutorials for beginners

Quote Originally Posted by GordonOverkill View Post
    I think that now it's much more important to have a plan in mind to build your ship. You cannot just buy this or that because it's generally cool. If not your whole ship is focussed on a single big advantage, you will get more and more overpowered by the enemies from sector 5 onward. For example a teleporter alone is close to worthless. You definitely need to combine it with a clone bay and a strong boarding squad, with a mind control device etc.
    I agree with most of that but clone bays are only really good for events(which was why they added them) or skills that are easily trained. Even then I typically take a risk or two with events if I have like 6 or more people.

You really have to refine the melee skill if you want to board so you have a better chance of taking 2 ppl in the med bay and killing a guy even while they are healing or to take out their clone bay. Mind control is great though, mostly to get a stronger enemy crew member diverted and hopefully they attack the clone bay or med bay, even happened to me on the last boss where they hacked my teleporter and it teleported the mind controlled enemy back to me.

I would say the hacking would be very useful for boarding when you use on the medbay(health drain and being contained), which I couldn't do because I had max systems already. Would be crazy though, full melee skill, mind control, hacking, healing bomb, stun bomb and lanius boarders. Btw, how well does max hack used against oxygen work?
    Last edited by KyoShinda; 04-17-2014 at 06:06 PM.
    P2:

Quote Originally Posted by KyoShinda View Post
    I agree with most of that but clone bays are only really good for events(which was why they added them) or skills that are easily trained. Even then I typically take a risk or two with events if I have like 6 or more people.

You really have to refine the melee skill if you want to board so you have a better chance of taking 2 ppl in the med bay and killing a guy even while they are healing or to take out their clone bay. Mind control is great though, mostly to get a stronger enemy crew member diverted and hopefully they attack the clone bay or med bay, even happened to me on the last boss where they hacked my teleporter and it teleported the mind controlled enemy back to me.

I would say the hacking would be very useful for boarding when you use on the medbay(health drain and being contained), which I couldn't do because I had max systems already. Would be crazy though, full melee skill, mind control, hacking, healing bomb, stun bomb and lanius boarders. Btw, how well does max hack used against oxygen work?
    Max hack drains 60% of oxygen per run.
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

What I thought about is using the hacking device at the enemy doors if your boarding crew gets locked in. Without that every fight against a ship with doors 2 or higher gets extremely risky... actually that's how I lost my two-mantis-crew on my first advanced run ;-)

Just had the closest call with Mantis B with breach bomb and mind control. Killed all enemy crew by the end of stage 1 (except the beam guy), but was low on hull. Stage 2 almost without damage, but on stage 3 htings got a bit rough. I disabled both weapons and breached them, killed shields with 4 mantises, but my other flak and chain laser were still too slow to kill the flagship. Dodged 2 laser power surges on 2 hull points left and finished the guy right before the last one. Freaking intense.
    On a related brag, I'm at 6-30 now on Ipad where I started from scratch. About 5-7 of these were insane troll mometns which made me ragequit on sector 1, ohters are legitimate losses. Hard is hard :/

image.jpg
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.