Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: FTL - Faster than Light

As far as I remember, as soon as the helm gets even partially damaged the pilot will stop piloting to repair - or did they think of that and allowed him a partial bonus, like the one you still get even if the pilot is engaged in hand-to-hand?

Even if he can pilot the ship at a reduction while repairing a partially damaged helm, late game if something gets through your shields and hits the helm, it's usually going to be a missile, and they'll generally do more than one point of system damage. At least if you only have level 1 piloting you will be done with the repairs very quickly, regardless of the size of the missile that hit it.
    Last edited by Silfir; 10-12-2012 at 12:40 PM.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

You still get full pilot bonus as long as he's in the room, regardless of repairs or boarders.

Missiles will indeed take it out completely unless you upgrade to level 3 (which I'll oft do by the end). But burst lasers, fires and boarder damage are still best buffered against. And my point was more about throwing 20 scrap on it early game, not too late.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

I like to upgrade stuff just to provide a buffer to take damage as well, especially the teleporter or cloak. And I try to push up O2 and my medbay so I can get the blue options to do special stuff, even if I don't power them most of the time.
    Proud member of Team Silfir in the Treasure Hunter debate.

It's definitely a fantastic game. Not sure I would classify it as strictly "roguelike" as it's not got a lot of the hallmarks of the "traditional" roguelikes. It does feature permadeath and a decent amount of random generated content. Maybe more of a tactical action game.

Great regardless of its genre.
    "... you must first invent the universe."

I had a run recently where I ended up with an ion blast II and 2 fire beams. You have no idea how outrageously fun that is :P Here's a screenie: http://i.imgur.com/vfN3KvK.png

It's much faster than boarders or asphyxiation for killing the enemy crew, and it quickly takes down many of their systems too. For the last boss burning was taking way too long to kill him though (you have to kill the crew and let the AI repair its systems one by one) so I broke out the anti-ship drone to finish it off.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer

I had a run recently where I ended up with an ion blast II and 2 fire beams. You have no idea how outrageously fun that is :P Here's a screenie: http://i.imgur.com/vfN3KvK.png
    Haha, very nice. A good choice in ship, as well.

I was a little disappointed each time I've beaten the game in that I couldn't capture the final boss ship. It makes sense, given the explanation they use for it, just a little sad. Hope that's not too spoilery.
    "... you must first invent the universe."

I've been playing the stuff for some time last several days and have died like 40 times. I'm using Kestrel 100% of the time because I've only unlocked the Engi ship (and learned from a wiki yesterday that I've missed the Zoltan shield choosing the wrong dialogue option).

On my very first try I got to sector 6 with Burst Laser III and 3 layers of shields, but got owned by something.
    Since then I can't even get to sector 5.
    What are the main priorities to get more or less stable situation? I'm trying to improve my shields/engines and boosting energy supply early one + repair hull at shops and I never seem to have enough money for Teleporter or Drones (I didn't like them with the Engi ship several times I played). Should I take it easy on upgrades?
    My last run was with good stuff (Burst Laser II, base Kestrel Missile and something like Hull Beam) and 7 crew members by the very beginning of sector 4. Then I got boarded by 2 Mantis parties in one fight (how is that even possible?) which summed in 6 Mantis crew members tearing my ship, so in the end only a couple of my guys were left in the MedBay and all other ship rooms on fire/without air.
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

Like with ADOM, it's hard to determine what it is you're doing wrong without watching you actually play.

You only have a limited number of battles with possible loot until the end. Crew teleporters make it easier to take ships alive, which gets you extra money, so that's a good early investment. Shields avoid repair costs and help you take enemy ships alive (a second layer of shields often means a good number of fights early game in which you are invincible and can take your sweet time taking the ship, provided you start by disabling the engines or the helm), so the second layer of shields (at 100 scrap) is a good early investment. Energy and engine upgrades should generally wait until after you've done those first two. ("Generally" because the first engine upgrade is very, very cheap for what it does.) Hold off on repairs for a while (if you can't avoid damage altogether; there's not much of an excuse for the Kestrel to be taking a lot of it); your ship will run just fine at half hull, and those 45 scrap might buy you the recovery arm, and with it riches in the near-to-mid future.

Use missiles as-needed. Meaning, use missiles if the enemy has missiles of their own, and aim for their weapons systems to avoid having to repair. A missile that helps you avoid two hull damage broke even. If it avoids more than that, you made a profit, even if you don't add into the equation that you start with missiles and will find them on the way.

A Scrap Recovery Arm is something you should snatch up instantly. Other than that, the crew teleporter, or level 2 shields, I would hold off on buying anything on the Kestrel. Even Energy. If you can power your weapons and your shields and one engine level, you have enough energy in the early game. It takes some time for the O² to run out, and the medbay can be activated in a pinch if you need to deal with borders.

Pause, pause, pause. Most boarding party situations can be dealt with, in my experience, if you immediately vent all crucial systems close to the boarders and gather your guys in the medbay. Your computer can still fire weapons, run engines and manage shields without air. Keep the pilot on his post if you possibly can because unpiloted ships usually get eaten up fast. The boarders shouldn't have enough time to do more than one point of system damage before they start to suffocate and abandon the assault.

Drone systems are a great investment, generally, since for the price of 80 scrap you usually get a defense drone 1 (worth 40 if bought single) in addition to the system itself, which is the best answer to enemy missiles available in the game right through the boss fight. That said, unless you have that much scrap left over, it's not more important than the second shield layer, the crew teleporter or the scrap recovery arm.

Some weapons are worthwhile to use, some aren't, and if they aren't, sell them ASAP for the extra scrap. The same goes for found augments.
    Last edited by Silfir; 07-26-2013 at 07:10 PM.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    A Scrap Recovery Arm is something you should snatch up instantly. Other than that, the crew teleporter, or level 2 shields, I would hold off on buying anything on the Kestrel. Even Energy. If you can power your weapons and your shields and one engine level, you have enough energy in the early game. It takes some time for the O² to run out, and the medbay can be activated in a pinch if you need to deal with borders.
    Personally I believe scrap arm at let say first sector is inferior to long range scanners. Dodging few empty encounters is way better than some percentage.

For borders blast doors is must have [and cheap] and oxygen upgrade is recommended - cause worst case scenario is they take oxygen system out.

on more general things:
    A) enable showing connections between beacons on mouse hover in options
    B) learn to synchro weapon fire if needed and use of Ctrl [enables autofire on/off] for single weapons.
    These two helped me a lot and are next to undocumented
    Last edited by Soirana; 07-26-2013 at 10:06 PM.

Play the Engi ship (the Torus) and auto-fire the ion cannon on their weapons system. It'll usually take out their shields, letting the attack bot destroy them, but the odd ion that gets through to their weapons will prevent them from taking shots at you. The less damage you take the more you can spend on upgrades. Get shields 2 and level 2 doors ASAP.

As the game progresses you'll need more firepower to take enemies down quickly, and in particular a Burst Laser II helps immensely for taking out their pilot room at the start of the fight, thus preventing them dodging. Beam weapons are also fantastic if you an get one.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer